Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burned Out - Big Sur

Boolit Master
    If I can be of help, let me know. I sent some things to a member years ago that lost his entire shop to a fire, but at least his home was spared.

Boolit Buddy

Sorry to hear of the loss of your cabin, SWMBO and I also live in a small cabin that is vunerable to fire loss due to location. In June of 2014 I had to evacuate for a nearby fire, SWMBO was on a Fire Assignment so I was left to my own decision. I took all my guns & ammo, some clothes, meds and a box of pictures, and drove to my folks place about 60 miles away. Fortunately our cabin was spared and I was able to return after 3 days. After that I made sure our Fire Insurance was up to snuff, Full Replacement Value on all Personal Property and a No-Rebuild Clause on the Cabin. Prayers are up my Friend, I hope things work out well for you.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Vendor Sponsor

Mal Paso very sorry to hear about your loss as well
    If you would be interested in trying powdercoating I will donate some for you to try
    Might save you some money for a while
    Jus let me know
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I am writing this from a remote cabin in Northern California.
    Glad to know you're alive. Thank you for the report. Stay strong. Keep moving forward.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a tough lick, my Friend. I gotta say, I admire your attitude. Hang in there, a lot of us are thinking about you. When you decide what equipment you want to go back with I'm in for a piece gear. Please let us know, and please continue to post. Take care, Brother!

Boolit Master
    Thanks!!!!! I started reading posts this morning and the power went out. LOL Solar Batteries are old and will be replaced this week. It was already on the list. I got the water heater installed in it's new closet complete with vent and scrubbed the shower waiting for the batteries to charge. I'm running an Antique Trace 2012 that goes with the Arco Panels but will switch to a 3.6 KW Outback Sinewave with new batteries.

I should have done more prepping here. I did stash a Rockchucker kit here a few years ago. There was a sale + Rebate + Cabelas points and I couldn't say no. I saved about 700 H&G 503s. Good thing as I don't have a place to cast even if I had a pot or alloy. I must have known this time the danger was real because I grabbed my coffee cup and a few things I have left behind before. Whatever you take is subject to possible damage and this is the first time my house actually burned.

Windows 10 LIES. It said it Would Not use my Verizon Metered WiFi to update windows but it ate 2 of my 8 precious GB of expensive data. I was afraid of that but I'm 90 miles from a Starbucks and it's probably cheaper not to drive. LOL

THANKS! The adventure continues!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Man oh man -- so sorry to read of your loss.
    ph4570

Mal Paso, so sorry to hear of your troubles. Tough stuff my friend.
    Wish I knew how to help you, fire is a devastating damn thing and it is painful to think it was some carelessness that started the thing.
    Hope it gets a little better for you soon amigo.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

Boolit Master
    I believe McDonalds also has free wifi. Sorry about the cabin that is terrible, and I have heard people always grab the strangest things when bugging out.

Boolit Master

Mal Paso, glad to hear you are ok and are in good spirits. Another of life's unplanned adventures maybe? Attitude makes up for a lot. If you need some reloading bits to make it by, post them up. I'd bet you will have lots of other things to do though from the sounds of it.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    So sorry to hear one of our brothers in arms got hit by this fire season. My thoughts, prayers and best wishes are with you! I wondered when one of us would be hit by all the fires in the West this season.

I have a friend that has a "cabin in the pines" up north here in AZ. A few years ago when that huge Rodeo Fire swept thru that part of AZ, his cabin was missed by only a couple miles. Many hundreds of others were not. Sad to drive thru a wooded mountain area that has burned to the ground.

Hang in there and keep up informed of your progress. Your positive attitude during this trying time is a beacon to all of us.

banger

Boolit Master

mal turn the metered account button to "on" it will limit the updates and then never use the connect automatically button on the hot spot, always manually connect--it shuts off when you shut the computer and prevents windows from doing the 2 am downloads. I learned this the hard way after getting several overages and not doing anything different than running windows 10

I am sure georgeonedollar has heard about your situation by now and I would bet if a certain item was know to be needed he would drop it off.

Boolit Master
    Thanks! I think I have the metered connection set On as the only Button Showing is off. "They" had to burn up my computer to get me to switch to Win 10. LOL

Got the door finished for the water heater closet to keep the critters out and took an indoor shower. I thought I might miss the outdoor one, nope! I can still see the trees and ferns through the window and I like my new genuine vinyl Travertine Marble floor.

I have to find out when I can get in for a site inspection so I can file a claim. No telling when the roadblock will be lifted. It will take another month or 2 to contain the fire. The battle was lost the first day.

Meanwhile time to get batteries. Got the coffee ground this morning and the lights went out a minute later. Damn Civilized to let me get my first cup of coffee though. LOL

Thanks!
    Mal

Boolit Master

Mal, so sorry to hear of the loss of your cabin. Thoughts and prayers are with you, my friend.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Moderator Emeritus

I debated a cabin up in Northern MN in the woods, then the thought of forest fires said no. Only way would be something I could tow and take everything I own with me and in a MN winter that is not an option. Most campers are not insulated well enough for -40 degrees.

Boolit Master
    I'm at Motel 6 in Monterey, $110 a night with my evacuee discount and they charge extra for internet. LOL I went to the fire meeting last night. I might not be able to get back in for a week but I did confirm the cabin and Subaru are a total loss. Some equipment may have survived, hope so. I left the fire meeting early, had a feeling lodging might be tough. Tourists are still coming in spite of the smoke and all the evacuees too. The motel with a 50% discount was full. All Red Cross had was cold pizza. LOL Carmel is $200 a night minimum. I got the last room at Motel 6. I'll pick up the pieces I can and head back. Think my Amazon shower curtain might be at the Post Office.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    I got in today and as of now the tractor lives and the ingot molds look usable most everything else is ruined. One thing that expected to be scrap was an 80 gal stainless steel transfer tank full of diesel. Plastic fuel filter full of diesel, hose intact. I figured that tank would eclipse anything else I had.

I'm back in the thick of it camped out in a rustic cabin in downtown Big Sur. Helicopters and aircraft go overhead every few minutes. Smoke smell is strong but the air isn't thick. The sound of backup beepers is near constant. I hope they knock off at night like the aircraft.

The new computer is a bust. Video keeps going out on top of Win 10. We'll see if the picture uploads. Didn't happen without pictures, right. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mal

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1501.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	460.8 KB 
ID:	173709
    Ingot mold in situ. LOL

Mal

I'm watching your progress Sorry for your bad fortune but your attitude and outlook make all the difference.
    At least you don't have to build a new ingot mold!!

For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master

Glad you are back home. Looks like you are in a new rut. Survival rut. Just think of it as camping like you mean it.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.