WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Look for the behemoth... .50-170-700

Look for the behemoth... .50-170-700

I have been trying to look for info and/or pictures of this round. Does this even exist? My search has not been fruitful. I have heard is it simple a .50-140 case but I am not sure. Can yall help me out with info and possible photos of it?

Thank you!
    Mickey Mouse School of Combat Graduate

Super Moderator

.............Isn't that the case the Navy used as a basis for it's 5"/38 dual purpose semi fixed powder casing?

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

That was Elmer Keiths load for the 50-3&1/4 sharps p
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Boolit Grand Master

Pass. My orthopaedic surgeon made enough off me and retired.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Perm-Banned
    i made a custom muzzle loader that was a 1/23 twist. it shot a 700 grain bullet with only 70 grains by volume of blackhorn 209 powder. it left the barrel at 1200 ft persecond with an average of only 4 ft per second diff. in a day at the targets. why would anyone want to try to push it harder with those good stats. it now belongs to a hunter who uses it to hunt elk once a year. oh, yes the recoil was very good and not noticed. 140 grains of powder or more would be not fun and really give no more. with 70 grains a 300 yard shot with a good sight was not out of the question and would drop a bull buffalo. you would soon tire of a gun that was not fun to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

Gotta admit, I'd want to try it at least once.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Search under "The Big Fifty Sharps," and you should the the reprint of Elmer Keith's 1941 writeup on his search for the legendary .50-170-700 Sharps rifle.

He found one, sort of, and tried it out. By his description, it appeared to be a .52 caliber Sharps, reworked to take the 3-1/4" shell. He could get 170 gr of powder in with a paper-patched boolit.

Subsequent research has indicated that Sharps never chambered for this shell, which was not even available until after the company had gone out of the rifle business. More 3-1/4" chambers have been cut by the Italian and American Sharps replicators in the last forty years than were ever cut by all manufacturers back when the cartridge was being manufactured. It is now called the .50-140, and I believe the standard boolit is closer to 600 gr than 700.

Boolit Master
    I used to have a .50-140. With a 700gr Creedmoo bullet seated to cover all grease grooves it was easy to get 135gr of Goex Fg into the case. With a denser powder, some compression, and the bullet seated out a bit I'm sure that you could sqeeze in a fair bit more powder if you had to have it .Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe this actually is one of the big Brit rounds, seeing it mentioned in the Kirton book as chambered in the Farquharson action. Don't forget they had some cartridges for africa that made the rest look downright puny...

Boolit Master
    Used to shoot a .50-140- 650 after 20 rounds off the bench my head and neck would hurt for two days whimped out and re barreled it to .40-65 great shooter 40 to 100 rounds a day no problem.