Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: small dog question

Thank you everyone. He was one terrific dog. A great small child protector. He loved the little ones. Next to my wife he had been my greatest companion. I miss him also and Diesel is at my feet once again.

Banned

Not mine, she loves to play and has 100 toys to choose from. True she hates the vet since she had problems. But she will get nails clipped with no problems. Female vet gets the worst response.
    I could eat out of her dish with her.

Boolit Master
    Quote "I could eat out of her dish with her."

The dog---or the female vet???
    R.D.M.

Banned
    the first and best dog i've ever had was a scottish terrier-toy poodle(muffin). i was 4 y.o. when i got her. 19 1/2 years later, we had to put her down. dang cancer got her. next was a brittney spaniel(brandy). she was good but she did like to run. unfornately she never stopped. i got a shock collar to keep her in the yard, but it never worked for her. she passed away after 8 years. then i got another brittney spaniel(lacie) that i still have. she is 15 y.o. and i have a feeling that it won't be long to put her down. when lacie was 3 y.o. , i got another dog that was a yorkpoo(katie). she was a little smaller than a terrier poodle but she had a heart bigger than mine. she was with a stroke-abled guy till i had to put her down too. her lungs began to fill with fluid until she couldn't breathe much, it was a hard choice to do. she was 12 y.o. now i have a a yorkee(buttons) that is 1 y.o. she knows whether its good(like peeing on the paper) or bad(peeing on everything but the paper!!!) and yet she does the bad more. but i can't stay mad at her. she knows what "buttons" to press that makes everything all right.

all of my dogs were neutered(about 6 months+/-). every dog i loved. if i could make dog years more like people years, i'd still have muffin. her and katie and buttons could take over my bed while brandy and lacie slept on the floor!!! not that i'd mind it...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    Quote "I could eat out of her dish with her."

The dog---or the female vet???
    Funny, but too old for the vet! I don't like dog food either but can reach in her dish to give her the choice pieces. Spoiled rotten.

A yorkie puppy looks like a tiny Rottweiler Very cool little yappers.

Boolit Master
    I can't help you. I've been a Beagle guy forever
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Well we just received a call from the shelter that our application has been accepted. Will be going next weekend to see a couple 9wk. old Belgian Shepard/Border Collie mix puppies.

Boolit Bub
    +1 on the Blue Heeler. Quiet, calm, intently aware, eager to please and patient. Only down side is you must do your part. Any breed worth having is a 50/50 effort. If you're not up for your 50, then just don't.

Nothing more annoying than lap rats.

Boolit Grand Master

bulldog or a valley bulldog. We have a valley bulldog. Knee high but 70lbs. Doesn't bark, loves people, very loyal and well mannered. She does well in smaller areas as long as she is walked or let out into the yard once in a while. We also can leave her in the house when it rains all day while at work and she just sleeps. Very gentile with kids. Our granddaughter climbs on her, tugs her ears and generally fusses with her and all she gets is a lick from the dog. Once attached to a person they are very, very protective.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Well we just received a call from the shelter that our application has been accepted. Will be going next weekend to see a couple 9wk. old Belgian Shepard/Border Collie mix puppies.
    Awesome! Im thrilled you went with adopting from a shelter, best of luck with your new pup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by needausername View Post
    +1 on the Blue Heeler. Quiet, calm, intently aware, eager to please and patient. Only down side is you must do your part. Any breed worth having is a 50/50 effort. If you're not up for your 50, then just don't.

Nothing more annoying than lap rats.

hey, i like lap ra... i mean dogs!!!

since i can't hunt small game anymore(stroke), lap dogs are my favorite.

Banned

I grew up with beagles. My dad allways had at least two. I love them but my wife likes the rabbits running around the yard. Wouldn't matter to me but shed be mad if the dog ran them off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dframe View Post
    I can't help you. I've been a Beagle guy forever

Banned

I checked into the local shelters. Puppies are rare there. Most older dogs. By the time I pay 350 bucks to adopt a pup I might as well try to find another lab. I could probably get a black one for that kind of money around here. Part of the problem is money kind of tight. Kind of hoping I can find one that someone will swap a gun for a pup. Id like a smaller dog but bottom line is my heart belongs to labs.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post

Banned

Any dog will do. My friend loves Great Danes--sheese the dog is taller then me but is a lover and gets along with all other dogs, even my rug rat.
    Now a neighbor has 3 new puppies and I can't take mine over. They are big and love to play. Jump on me and scratch me and jump on my little one. They would hurt her with their big feet. Not mean but do not know their own weight. Tommy can't get them to stay down. They go nuts when I go over. I hate to get jumped on with sharp claws.
    I go to another neighbors with 2 dogs and they do not jump and my little one gets along fine.
    The people at the other end own 2 rescue dogs, big black things. One will attack people and the other will kill any animal, even small dogs. He walks them and they pull him all over. I pick mine up and take her in when I see him. I won't go near them let alone my dog. One of them bit the lady across the road from him. Shotgun time!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Any dog will do. My friend loves Great Danes--sheese the dog is taller then me but is a lover and gets along with all other dogs, even my rug rat.
    Now a neighbor has 3 new puppies and I can't take mine over. They are big and love to play. Jump on me and scratch me and jump on my little one. They would hurt her with their big feet. Not mean but do not know their own weight. Tommy can't get them to stay down. They go nuts when I go over. I hate to get jumped on with sharp claws.
    I go to another neighbors with 2 dogs and they do not jump and my little one gets along fine.
    The people at the other end own 2 rescue dogs, big black things. One will attack people and the other will kill any animal, even small dogs. He walks them and they pull him all over. I pick mine up and take her in when I see him. I won't go near them let alone my dog. One of them bit the lady across the road from him. Shotgun time!
    I treat puppies like kids, they don't know better yet and just need a firm hand and patience. Mine still yap quite a bit but retreat into kennel.

Letting the dog lead you around and pulling...needs more training. Mine still give me issues like that if I don't keep them in check and trained. They will revert to bad habits if possible just like we do. That's owner training just imho dogs take their cues from us.

Boolit Master

I was in Dallas picking up a Ruger .45LC Blackhawk that someone had listed on Armslist. As I'm trying to find a parking spot, I see this small young woman being dragged down the walkway in front of the stores in the strip mall by a large black dog. Don't remember the type of dog, perhaps some sort of black lab mix, but it probably weighed more than she did. It was pretty funny to watch -- something like you would see in one of the old cartoons or whatever. So, I drove a bit further so that I would be parked in the area where the dog was dragging her towards. I got out of my pickup and stopped the dog as she was getting dragged by me. I then showed her a trick I had discovered for leashing dogs that like to pull. With it, I clip the leash to the collar (with the collar ring oriented up) and then run the leash under the chest of the dog (directly behind his front legs) and then route the leash under itself when it comes back to the top. You are effectively creating a half-hitch on the dog's torso. With this mechanism, you are not choking the dog (which causes some dogs to pull even *more*). If the dog pulls too much, you are restricting how far his chest can expand and thus how much air he can breathe, but not with the same reaction from the dog as if you use a choke collar. He has to take shallower breaths. I've subsequently learned that there is a company that makes a leash / collar that works on the same principle. Anyway, after I reconfigured the dogs leash and gave it back to the woman, it was like night and day. She could now hold the dog with one hand instead of using both hands on the leash and still being dragged down the sidewalk.

It's similar to how this commercial product works, but it works with your existing leash (as long as it is long enough) and thus doesn't cost you anything to try out.

Banned

That is great.

Boolit Master

If you've ever tried walking 3 dogs that like to pull and each go their separate way, only to find out that you are quickly wrapped up like a maypole by the 3 leashes, I have a solution that has worked for me. Take a ring and put 3 short (i.e. 2-3 ft long, depending upon the size of the dogs) leashes off of it. For each of the short leashes, have a bolt snap that clips to a dog's collar and on the other end, attach it to the ring either by sewing, tying, or another bolt snap. You then clip your longer leash to this ring. This allows you to keep the dogs together and they are pulling against each other instead of pulling against you. Of course, this does not work if the dogs are smart enough to gang up on you and all pull in the same direction. None of the dogs that I've ever owned have been smart enough to cooperate though -- they all want to go in different directions and tie me up.

Boolit Master
    A device we sometimes see in the UK is a sort of combination of collar and muzzle, arranged so that excessive pulling produces a sideways pull on the muzzle. The trouble is that a lot of people then take it for a dog that has to be muzzled in public, and just as with humans the friendless tend to fall into line with what is expected of them. I've seen just the same with a labrador that is muzzled on the beach, for nothing more aggressive than consuming unfortunate things there.

A lot of people will tell you that if a dog pulls, you should simply turn and walk in the opposite direction. Well a dog doesn't have to be very bright to learn that you can't do that all day. Winding the lead in short and proceeding at a funeral pace works better.

I've just taken delivery of Mary Elizabeth Thurston's "Lost History of the Canine Race", which really is a most excellent book. It has much detail on the story of war dogs, particularly in America. America may still be the only major nation not to have erected a government memorial to its war dogs, but the logic may be that so many other organizations have been willing and able to do so. Here is a picture of Stubby, mentioned on page 3 of this thread.
    Attachment 172739

He was taxidermatised (rather badly around the muzzle, I think), and prominently displayed for some years in the Red Cross Museum in Washington. Then he was transferred to the Smithsonian, where he remains in a basement storage room. As of 1996 the museum had no plans to exhibit him, as the collections had become thematic in nature, and the administrators didn't consider that he fitted any particular theme, or was of great educational value. I know the sort of thing. The Kelvingrove museum in Glasgow has a magnificent collection of early firearms and arms and armour, almost all bequeathed to it long ago by a shipowning collector. But what is now displayed is now distributed around various thematic sections, and sporting guns in the wildlife section is not among them. Still, that did guide me to a cast of the skull of King Robert Bruce, which has a well healed sword cut of unknown origin. He was lucky it didn't hit him in a vital spot.