Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone trip

Yellowstone trip

Well last year we took the family to the Black Hills this year were heading to Yellowstone. Is any one going or been there recently? We're staying just west of the park in Montana. Never been out there before, any tips or ideas we should know about or great places to try and get to?

Too bad Yellowstone has been in the news lately though with that bison calf in that park goers vehicle and now just lately a young man left the trail or dock and went walking in bad area and fell into a hot acidic pool. They had a good ruff location but stopped looking for him because it was too risky to get out there. Is the place really teaming with bears on every trail and bison itching themselves on cars? LOL

Should be a good time though, looking forward to the trip.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I expect a complete count would have me inside the park for 12 hours or more at least 15-20 times, going back a LONG time.. under current conditions ,I've only missed two years in the past twenty where I didn't spent at least a half day inside..Sounds like you will be staying in W.Yellowstone, which is as good as any single location,and better than some...Coming from the east side you have some alternative approachs,so probably would do well to consider one entrance coming and an alternate going...My personal choice given that would be going west through Cody,Wy.and the East entrance to the park proper, then going home through cooke City, and down the Beartooth H'wy
    to Red Lodge, Mt.. Plan a LONG daytrip loop from
    Madison Junction No.to Mammoth, then south to Canyon ,then follow the Yellowstone R. So.to the lake,then back west by Old Faithful,the Firehole River,and home to W.Yellowstone... If Guided fishing is within the budget, Blue Ribbon Outfitters in West Y.is favored by my "white shoe"friends,but a lot of their trips are not within the Park.and you should try for reserv.if you are serious about going.. (There are a # of other prominent fly shops with vocal fans,so above is just "mpo". if you need more info.just use PM...Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Grand Master

Be prepared to do a lot of driving. Years ago we went, flew into an airport east of the park, rented a van, didn't leave the park except to go down Jackson Hole, drove back to the airport, and put over 1,000 miles on the van. The park is bigger than Rhode Island, yes, bigger than a state. LOML is a geologist, she bought a book on the geology of the Yellowstone, all the teenagers of three families wanted to be in our van because she was reading the book out loud. Driving around the basin you are driving in the caldera of a super volcano that is questionably overdue to explode.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I'm going to have to check that route when I get home tonight it sounds like nice drive. The super volcano thought is interesting for sure. Thanks you guys. I'm not sure about fishing but hate to rule out too.

Banned

west yellowstone is just barely inside Montana.
    your on the side to see plenty of Buffalo but not too many bears usually.

the last time we went we went in through Jackson hole [short 1.5 hr trip] and up and out to Cody.
    and then went to the museum in the afternoon after shooting into the park early in the morning.

we went from there up to Baker [Lamar valley] and done the same early morning thing and bailed after lunch in the park.
    about 10.am or so the tourist busses start rolling in and you can't drive anywhere or get near any attractions.
    it's best to be on your way out shortly afterwards.

anyway there is a 3-D movie theater there in W-Ystone the kids will love.
    and Bear world usually has something going on.
    it's a little bit of a drive west over into Idaho to Henry's lake and a left turn.
    the drive looks just like the park so nobody will notice the difference until you drop out of the Mtn's and onto the flats near St. Anthony.
    once you get there you'll get to see the bears, wolves, and elk you didn't see in the park.

Boolit Buddy

Cool Yellowstone is definitely for Tourons.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    west yellowstone is just barely inside Montana.
    your on the side to see plenty of Buffalo but not too many bears usually.

the last time we went we went in through Jackson hole [short 1.5 hr trip] and up and out to Cody.
    and then went to the museum in the afternoon after shooting into the park early in the morning.

we went from there up to Baker [Lamar valley] and done the same early morning thing and bailed after lunch in the park.
    about 10.am or so the tourist busses start rolling in and you can't drive anywhere or get near any attractions.
    it's best to be on your way out shortly afterwards.

anyway there is a 3-D movie theater there in W-Ystone the kids will love.
    and Bear world usually has something going on.
    it's a little bit of a drive west over into Idaho to Henry's lake and a left turn.
    the drive looks just like the park so nobody will notice the difference until you drop out of the Mtn's and onto the flats near St. Anthony.
    once you get there you'll get to see the bears, wolves, and elk you didn't see in the park.
    As a former worker bee in the park and long time resident of the Greater Yellowstone Area I find the current experience of Yellowstone very disappointing. Thanks to the wolves and G. Bears most of the elk are gone, you might see a moose in the Lamar Valley up by Soda Butte Creek, but what you will see is loooong lines of vehicles and tourists at all of the attractions. It is definitely not a wilderness experience more like Disney World. With luck you might get to see a bear jam on the Mamouth side of Dunraven. The fires of the late 80's did help to 'open' up the views a bit. The areas around Jellystone are far more interesting than the park. Also take some of the side trips in the park; Blacktail Plateau, old stagecoach road from Mamouth to Gardiner. In the West Yellowstone area, visit Quake Lake, Henry's Lake, Mesa Falls. The Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody is well worth the visit and of course the tour of the Beartooth Highway is worthwhile. And yeah, driving is the name of the game!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Not to far inside the Gardner entrance is a place you can walk down to about a mile or so to the Fire Hole River and get in to soak in the hot springs that come into the side of the river. Folks have made pools there by stacking rocks to contain the hot water. One of our favorite places in the park
    Being human is not for sissies.

Henry's lake Idaho and the Fox Hole River and Old Stage Coach rd. in the park. Yes we'll be in West Yellowstone for the stay.

Boolit Master
    I was up in that neck of the woods perhaps eight years ago and was much more impressed with Glacier National Park in northwest Montana than with Yellowstone.
    Rule 303

Boolit Buddy
    Plan to spend a whole day at the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody.

Boolit Buddy
    The ticket for the museums in Cody is good for 2 days and when i go back i plan to spend two full days at the 5 museums that they have. East of Cody you will run into the Heart Mt. Relocation Camp it was mostly empty when i visited and well worth taking a look at. I had arguments with a lot of the exhibits but still think its a worthwhile stop. If your staying in West Yellowstone stop by the Taco Bus great food OK prices and a lot of fun. They make a spicy carrot side dish that is more memorable than Old Faithful. Enjoy!

We went to Jackson hole a few years ago and drove into Yellowstone for a few days. Yes, bison caused a "traffic jam" waiting for them to cross the road and bears are not spooked either by the sight of humans/cars.

Don't be an idiot and you'll be fine. Do what the signs tell you to, remember the animals are still "wild" and hot things can kill you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quake Lake blast from the past
    hunted in Montana near there a few occasions
    great area
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would suggest a side trip to Virginia City and Nevada City in Montana. Maybe add in the Big Hole Battlefield.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

A question for all you locals up around Yellowstone…"Is there anything to all the You Tube warnings of impending disaster there? Each time I go there searching anything Yellowstone, I'm overpowered with all these warnings!"

For instance…not just this link, but 100's of others with same...

ALARM: YELLOWSTONE "TRUTH" ERUPTION 2016. NEW VID of "TRUE CONDITION"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

I watched a documentary on Yellowstone concerning the volcano several years ago. The thought seemed to be if it blew that where we live in Phoenix Az might be far enough away to survive it.
    Did visit it about 12 years ago and it is worthwhile to do so. We also went to the Firearms museum in Cody but only spent one day. Would like to go back again.
    Did see a lady taking a buffalo's picture by some restrooms and got way too close and it chased it part way around the john. She was lucky and was not injured. Just not too smart.

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I watched a documentary on Yellowstone concerning the volcano several years ago. The thought seemed to be if it blew that where we live in Phoenix Az might be far enough away to survive it.
    Did visit it about 12 years ago and it is worthwhile to do so. We also went to the Firearms museum in Cody but only spent one day. Would like to go back again.
    Did see a lady taking a buffalo's picture by some restrooms and got way too close and it chased it part way around the john. She was lucky and was not injured. Just not too smart.
    This is all recent within the past year…propaganda…disinformation.?.I don't know what to make of it…the locals are the ones to answer this…I think?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Moderator Emeritus

In 1991, I was on a bike trip with a few friends (Minnesota to Spokane and then back), we drove into Yellowstone to see ole' faithful, and I couldn't get out of there quick enough...what a crowd. We boondocked a few nights in the Big Horns, near Black MT lookout just up from Dayton....no one around for miles, Loved it. We spent one night in Glacier at a campground...also loved it.

I guess it's all what you are looking for or what you prefer? I'll never go back to that over crowded mess again...same with Mt Rushmore.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

pmer,
    what are you driving? the beartooth highway can be a white knuckler for a flatlander with a big motorhome.
    you might think about stopping at the Little Bighorn Battlefield coming or going.

I didn't get the memo about the upcoming big eruption. must be my tin foil hat is doing its job.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    We went to Jackson hole a few years ago and drove into Yellowstone for a few days. Yes, bison caused a "traffic jam" waiting for them to cross the road and bears are not spooked either by the sight of humans/cars.

Don't be an idiot and you'll be fine. Do what the signs tell you to, remember the animals are still "wild" and hot things can kill you.
    That's easier said than done LOL. Last summer I was that guy walking around with ear plugs out prairie dogging and didn't hear the rattling till I was way too close!
    We have five days out there to see the sites and we're using a mini van.