Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me this is humor and not truth in of all places Texas

Banned

San Antonio has about 5 military bases around it.
    the Air Force's Basic training unit is there.
    as well as the training areas for their security forces and some Marine units.
    the Para-rescue units do some training there as well as a bunch of the K-9 units.

that's where I first fired the M-40 grenade Launcher, a full auto M-16, and the good old M-60

40 mm rounds is understandable. Could also be a crate of 45acp rounds and the news has no idea what their talking about.

But I've seen the bomb squad called on a empty abandoned cooler.

So best to be safe. And let them get the practice in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    ...But I've seen the bomb squad called on a empty abandoned cooler...best to be safe. And let them get the practice in.
    Two or three years back, our local ('FBI-Accredited') bomb squad blew up a back-pack found near a college neighborhood bus stop because the on-site x-rays indicated a 'suspicious package' inside...which turned out to be someone's lunch wrapped in aluminum foil.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

From the actual article (linked in the OP)

"This is the second time old ammunition has been found at the home. Just last week, the bomb squad spent about half an hour disposing of shotgun shells found there".

If they called them for shotgun shells...no reason to think this couldn't have been rifle/pistol ammunition.

"Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    If it was the old 40mm with HE proximity fused naval ammo, I might be concerned. I think I would contact a military ordinance unit and follow their instructions. If they told me to evacuate the area I sure would. Just because the press says 40 cal. doesn't make it so. I mean its not like they have ever misspoke before.
    THIS is the correct answer. You would not believe the stuff which people put out for municipal trash collection when they move out. When I was a safety officer in Public Works in northern Virginia working the area near Fort Belvoir, particularly the old WW2 training area now a residential subdivision called Fort Hunt and the area along Telegraph Road near the USCG TISCOM, I usually had to call a fire marshall, police EOD tech or hazmat response unit at least once a week.

Among the stuff set out were LIVE WW2-era grenades, mortar and artillery rounds, detonators, det-cord, commercial blasting dynamite and old pound blocks of Comp-B or guncotton which were sweating NG! You name it...

All of our "Refuse Supervisors" were required to attend "Bang & Burn" school at the fire academy to learn to recognize explosives and bomb precursors, and also to attend hazmat, drug lab and terrorism awareness for first responder classes so they could tell the difference between a bomb factory, a meth lab or improper set out of household chemicals, to protect our workers and summon appropriate assistance. Doing so saved lives.

After 9/11 we also began screening all incoming trash loads coming into our waste to energy facility for nuclear materials.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-04-2016 at 02:35 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    From the actual article (linked in the OP)

"This is the second time old ammunition has been found at the home. Just last week, the bomb squad spent about half an hour disposing of shotgun shells found there".

If they called them for shotgun shells...no reason to think this couldn't have been rifle/pistol ammunition.

new owners changing the landscaping???
    "Honey, what's that in the dirt you're digging up? OH NO, it's BULLETS!!! RUN!!!!"

Boolit Master
    That's what happens over here ,they found some live ammo on a beach scattered around after a storm closed off beach cos of the danger.pathetic you could see on the TV it was .223/5.56 in stripper clips .

Boolit Grand Master

I worked in Safety with the City of Phoenix. During the first Household Hazardous Waste event for citizens to turn in items for disposal I had a couple of disturbing events.
    First one I the driver opened the trunk of a sedan and when I looked inside there was a 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket of gasoline that had spilled gas, no lid, and a brown 1 gallon bottle of crystallized percolate ??. Been so long can't remember the exact info on the percolate but I hollered for the bomb squad officer that was about 50 yards away. When he saw it he had the area cleared out in a hurry!! The brown bottle he said was an explosive in its condition.
    Later a VW bus pulled in and the driver said he has a couple of batteries to drop off. He opened the side door and his kids were sitting on the corroded batteries! They had a long chat with a police officer over this.
    We did get ammo but it wasn't a problem. I left with lots of oil, atf, and aerosol products that day.
    The COP later specified what could be brought to these events.
    It is amazing what some people get away with.

Boolit Master

Apears to be **** reporting by the media again. Happens everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    The pussification of America marches on.....
    Actually, The Chief of the SAPD needed a some kind of diversion as he's trying to escape the heat for throwing one of his officers under the bus. Also, it's not pussification, but a symptom of advanced liberalism and multi-nationalism prevalent in San Antonio and lot of South Texas. A good majority of these people have one foot in America and the other in Mexico and would vote for a dog in a purple duck suit if it was on the Democrat side of the ballot

Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE... A good majority of these people have one foot in America and the other in Mexico and would vote for a dog in a purple duck suit if it was on the Democrat side of the ballot[/QUOTE]

I thought they were doing that right now...

Boolit Grand Master

Never saw her described that way, but if the shoe fits-----.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Hey ! Don't cuss a dog like that !
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by aephilli822 View Post
    That's the only way this story makes sense. The difference between "caliber" and "mm" is negligible for folks in the liberal, gun-fearing press. And it's true that bomb squads will sometimes use inert objects for "practice" because they've invested the manpower and logistics to respond so they might as well treat it like the real thing.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Fowler View Post
    A good majority of these people have one foot in America and the other in Mexico and would vote for a dog in a purple duck suit if it was on the Democrat side of the ballot
    I think you mean the word for "*female* dog"...

Boolit Grand Master

Dozens? and the surrounding houses were evacuated? They better evac the surrounding counties if something happens to my wife and I.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I took a long nap the other day and maybe I missed it . . . did Texas get annexed by the Republic of Kalifornia?

Boolit Grand Master

If this is pistol or rifle ammo, this is beyond stupid.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I remember reading a post on some gun forum from a LEO that responded to a call from a terrified family of tourists that had found "an explosive device" in their rented minivan. They were cowering in terror because there was a shotgun shell rolling around under a seat.

Boolit Grand Master

It would be interesting to know the rest of the story. I'm guessing it was 40 mm and not 40 caliber. If so, it was a good call from the safety aspect. If it truely was 40 cal, well thats funny!