MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My cast 3030 deer load?

Boolit Buddy

My cast 3030 deer load?

I use a Lee 309 170f mold, wheel weight lead mixed 50--50 with pure lead, a gas check and 22 grains of IMR 4198. I shoot this load out of a Winchester Model 94 and get fantastic groups. I posted on another forum and they all bashed my setup for deer. I hunt whitetails in Vermont which can go over 200 pounds. Just wondering if you guys think this is a good deer killing setup within 150 yards. Thanks, Craig.

With all due respect, if your load has been successful on a regular basis, does it really matter what the other guy says? While you are setting at the table enjoying a plate full of backstraps, mashed potatoes, and gravy, what difference does the bashers opinion make?

Boolit Master
    Im in upstate NY and it is not much different then some of the mountain areas of VT. 30-30 is great out to 150yd. I am lucky if when in the thick stuff I can get a 30 yd shot off. As for your load well that all comes down to can you hit what you are aiming at. If so then that is all that maters. I can think back to when my daughter was born. Times never had be so ruff for me. I sold every gun except one I grow up with. A youth single shot 20g. Hunting day came and I showed up with this gun. The guys held back as long as they could and then it started. I ended up going home with a spike horn but meat is all it was about that day.

I have been to shoots with some guys and its all about the gear. I have also walked into a sporting goods store or bar room after a hunt and saw the same guys pay with CC. Not a one has the cash to buy a gun on a whim. Only the best and brightest when its going on plastic. What I getting at is this.

Can your load take deer?
    Do you like your rifle/load?
    Is it within your means?
    Did you have fun?

I can tell you stories of how us mountain men showed up to such and such event in our old ratty what ever and took first or second place. Only the young ones in my area care about image. I hope you can look past the bashers one moment of coolness and just think practical not tactical. LOL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elbow View Post
    I use a Lee 309 170f mold, wheel weight lead mixed 50--50 with pure lead, a gas check and 22 grains of IMR 4198. I shoot this load out of a Winchester Model 94 and get fantastic groups. I posted on another forum and they all bashed my setup for deer. I hunt whitetails in Vermont which can go over 200 pounds. Just wondering if you guys think this is a good deer killing setup within 150 yards. Thanks, Craig.
    Just remember that not everyone shoots or hunts with cast boolits, so therefore they have little or no understanding of how effective they are and can be.
    My nephew used my 30-30 Marlin in Michigan one year and was laughed at and made fun of, just like I told him he would be. But, when he killed his deer with a witness, the guy who witnessed it did more bragging about how quick and cleanly the deer went down then my nephew.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Elbow View Post
    Put one of those through the lungs and a deer isn't going any farther than is shot with a full house '06 load. I've killed a deer every year for five years now with simlar loadings, just make sure your shot placement is good and don't get crazy about long range, you'll do well.

Boolit Master

Craig, that is a very good deer load. If you handed me your Winchester and a handful of those loads, I would feel confident in using them.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    pay no mind to what others say about your proven load and set up
    all that really matters is the confidence you have when you pull the trigger
    then who has the last laugh
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

In Remembrance

I use the same boolit and alloy but with 30.5 grains of IMR4064. @025 average for a 10 shot group and 1 to 1 1/2"groups at 100 yards in my 1966 Marlin 336.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Buddy
    Don't tell the 8 pt that i with the same boolit, that the load is no good! Theres a little bit of him still in the freezer and he might crawl out. But seriously, like everyone else said, it you put the boolit in the right place, it'll work.
    siamese4570

Reminds me of the time a fellow hunter told me you couldn't kill a deer with a .22LR.... I told him if you help me haul it out you can ask the 135lb. spike that's in the woods just down the hill.... (Behind the ear, dead as a hammer)
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Master
    I used cast bullets only for five years. I killed many deer and g r ound hogs in that period. Lots of people said cast bullets would not work. I just smiled and chewed on my venison steaks.

Boolit Master
    You have probably loaded, shot and studied your gun and ammo more than the guys doing the snickering. If you have proven the load and can put it were you want you are in front of the pack.

Boolit Master

Have killed deer with my 30-30 and 300 Sav. using that same boolit. Guess no one told me before hand that it would not work.Larry

Boolit Master
    Armed with that load I would fear no deer that walks the face of the earth!
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    Many of the people I know think that it takes a cannon to kill a deer, they frequently lose their deer ,I don't. It's about patience and placement ,not FtLbs of power. Use enough boolit to make two holes thru the vitals and all is well. YOU have the responsibility to adhere to your self imposed limits to make sure the placement is good. I use the 311041 or RD 165 with a slightly lighter load in my 30-30s and 30Rem(21gr of RL7, from memory). Have not had a deer run any farther after the shot than deer shot with 30-06 150Jackets, 45-70 ect. Does plenty of damage but not the blood shot mess that Hi Vel frequently gives. Place it well and get out your knife cause there is work to do
    I hunt thick woods and my typical shot is under 60 yards, but if I had good light and was seeing well(open sights), I would have no concern using that load at 150 yards. Cast them from something close to 2/2/96 and the Lee will work great. Ignore the self apointed know it alls, who have never actually DONE IT.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Elbow. I'm nowhere near my data sources. What velocity are you getting with that load?

Do you get any expansion? I know expansion is not essential, I'm just curious.

Motor

Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    I use the same boolit and alloy but with 30.5 grains of IMR4064. @025 average for a 10 shot group and 1 to 1 1/2"groups at 100 yards in my 1966 Marlin 336.
    That's the load my buddy uses. Same gun too. Works great!
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Banned
    i use a 165gr ranch dog out of my 30-40 krag. velocity is around 1800fps and it can shoot a deer out to 150 yards. i know i should take out my 30-30 m94, but that little old flat point works so well in the krag, the 30-30 doesn't see the light of day.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=307

Boolit Master

Love that 30/40 Krag cartridge!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Black powder and lead was used for many century's and has taken many a game. it worked then and it works now. really don't need HV to take game. LV work too. just place your shot. You did good.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US