MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why we love Black Powder??????

Boolit Master

Why we love Black Powder??????

I posted this same on another site also.Why do you like black powder shooting ? Funny in all my years of shooting this question I do not remember .So tell
    us WHY you love it. This can be a very good
    post. We all love black powder shooting, but in different ways. So lets here what type of BP shooting?

SO lets hear your thoughts on our great hobby, of SHOOTING BLACK POWDER!

Fly

Perm-Banned
    accracy

Boolit Master
    Black powder skeet shooting... it's just so much more fun when you need a spotter to confirm that you broke the clay bird! Best part was my brother and I getting a dose of humility from our 70 year old father. Gotta love the old man taking the boys and showing them how it's done.

But the best part, by far, is that black powder forces you to slow down. Slow down and savor the event, no matter what you're doing.
    Last edited by koehlerrk; 01-22-2016 at 05:45 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    wow..... this might be along one. i got into muzzleloading because i wanted more of a challenge. shooting a deer with a scoped .308 frankly was too easy. also i like to build things, do woodworking, and love guns, shooting and hunting. so i put them all together and began to make my own. im also lefthanded. i think it is extremely gratifying to harvest your dinner with a gun i made, a ball i cast, and a knife of my own. few people in this world can say that. but.....it runs deeper that that. when im out in the woods with MY gun, i am in my own world. i go back to a time when a man lived or died by his own skills. he prospered or failed by his own hand. a time when your life was not controlled by a corporate ceo in an office a thousand miles away. it is my therapy, my church, my life. when i tell my hunting friends that saturday ill be in the woods staring at bark they get it. when i tell my non-hunting friends that they will never get it. irishtoo

I like BP because of the sound you hear with it,very accurate,it makes me feel like I am in the 1800's and when you are shooting it in a muzzle loader it kind of slows down the world around you so you can enjoy life a little more.

Love the smoke and the feel of a good Hawkins rifle in your hands, and the sound of the flint hitting the frizzen.
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

Boolit Grand Master

The control and simplicity at the same time.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Good rifles with zeroed, fixed sights never change zero, black powder is very accurate, has long shelf life. As mentioned above, I love hunting with a gun I built, or accurized. Though I have modern inlines, a Ky long rifle or Southern Mtn. rifle is one of my all time favorite rifles, along with a Rem rolling block, and sharps rifles, Marlin and Winchester lever rifles. I have taken 44 deer with a Side hammer rifle of several types, my last this winter with a flintlock, my first deer with one, but not the last. JUst plain FUN!!!!!

Boolit Master
    I would have to say exactly what irishtoo said,... irishtoo.... are you irish too?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    I would have to say exactly what irishtoo said,... irishtoo.... are you irish too?
    yes sir.......irish also.

Boolit Man
    Time machine, takes us back to a place were things were simple, & good. WE all love the smells, the fire, doing something our for fathers done, as a time before all this modern stuff hit the fan. To all, happy trails & keep making smoke.

Boolit Buddy
    Love the smell of the smoke!

Boolit Bub
    Been trying to get into The Cowboy thing. Right now all my .44-40's have been smokeless, but have all my components lined up for PB. Loaded some .50-70 for my original Sharps carbine and some .45-70 for some of my trap doors in BP. Haven't squeezed the trigger on them yet, but, BP does take you back to a very simple time. Coogs.

Boolit Bub
    Guess I missed the title of this forum "muzzleloading" Guess anything I was just talking about ain't loaded from the muzzle!!!! But I do enjoy PA flintlock season, does that help? Coogs.

I like the challenge of one shot at a time. The simplicity of the round ball. I don't need a lot of extra equipment to make round balls, and the government or corporations isn't likely to price me out of the ammunition. I like the beauty of the old guns, and the hand-crafted nature of them. BP guns give me just enough advantage over the deer, and I don't need to practice a whole lot, compared to archery. Happy shooting everyone.

Perm-Banned
    the other thing is, when koger and i hunted the muzzleloader season up here in western ne. i dont recall seeing any other hunter out their. we had this whole wonderful place to hunt for our selves. modern rifle season was like ants on a ant hill. everybody on edge, as well as the deer. im not going to hunt the modern rifle hunting season any more, just muzzle loader. the feeling of knowing what your doing and makeing one shot count with no one else around is as good as it gets. like it was ment to be.

Boolit Master

Even the big guns push instead of punch.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Super Moderator

Nostalgia, limited opportunity hunts, and the challenge. Here in AZ in the general elk season it gets crazy, WAY too many people out there tripping over each other. In areas that have 500 tags in the general season, the ML hunt may only have 25.

Banned

that good rotten egg smell ... and if it's a trad ml, a connection back in time to a different era and way of life.

Boolit Buddy
    The sense of history and the challenge of the single shot.