Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD or H&K VP9

Boolit Buddy

Springfield XD or H&K VP9

If given a choice, what would you prefer?

Springfield XD

H&R VP

I'm A Honcho!
    I have owned the Springfield and it was a good gun.
    A friend just bought a vp 9 and now I am a fan.
    Shoots really well and the balance is great.
    If I were buying now it would be the vp9.
    It is a good piece! I put 200 down the pipe without a hiccup in a half hr!

Thats my 2 cents.

Wasalmonslayer

Boolit Master

Xd.........Takes a lickin' and keeps on ticking.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

As I'm not a fan of the 9mm I would say the XD since it comes in all flavors. If I was in the market for a 9mm I would look at the H&K as I've always thought they made a nice handgun.

I bought a XD officer model in 40 S&W the year after they came out and now have just under 5k rounds with no issues. I clean it once in a while and add a drop of grease on the rails every 500 rounds or so. Mine seems to be very reliable, it will eat everything I stuff in it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1452842427356.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	158169
    This was back in November hadn't shot the xd in over 4 months (been enjoying the S&W 627) at 10 yard and 72 rounds. Not bad but could do better but I'm not complaining since that was the first time I shot it in 4 months. Was shooting mixed brass, 180gr berry plated, WST, and Winchester primer.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Buddy
    The H&K does come in a 40.

AH looked on GB and only seen 9mm in the VP9, guess the 9 stands for 9mm silly me.

Sorry
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master

I have an XDs and a XDm they both run really well and have a good feel to me. I'm happy with them.

Banned

H&K hands down if I could afford it. To me even the xds are over priced. For a 100 bucks less you can get a glock or m&p that are just as good in every way. I put springfields in the same category as glock and M&Ps and H&Ks and sigs a notch higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    H&K hands down if I could afford it. To me even the xds are over priced. For a 100 bucks less you can get a glock or m&p that are just as good in every way. I put springfields in the same category as glock and M&Ps and H&Ks and sigs a notch higher.

Would never disagree with ya Lloyd about them being over priced. I could never get over the glock angle thing. I tried really hard till Springfield came out with the XD which was my first plastic gun purchase.
    Few things I do like a lot with the XD you can be in the dark and feel if the gun is loaded, and feel if the gun is cocked (firing pin sticks out a smidge). Not saying that make the glock bad, but that is something over it.
    If Sig would make a P238 (a little bigger design ofcourse) in a 40 or 45 I would buy one. Like what Springfield did the XDs, but I really like the 1911 trigger set up over the XDs. Springfield does make the EDM but I'll not be paying $1k+ for CC firearm.
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Buddy

If it is not a matter of price, H&K hands down.

Boolit Grand Master

H&K is a fine pistol but pricey. I'd say overpriced trading on their name and mystic a bit. Like Sig's they will run about forever and if you can afford the price I"d get one in a heartbeat. The SW is a step, a far step I think below both of the previous but it is still a good firearm from what I have been told by people that own them. I happen to like Kahr's myself and think the trigger is much better. In plastic? IDK, toss it up. In steel, H&K

It's kinda like a Rock Island 45ACP vs Wilson. Both will go bang but I doubt many will disagree that the Wilson is a better made pistol.
    Last edited by jonp; 01-15-2016 at 07:15 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I looked seriously at a VP9. I put it down when I saw it had a stepped chamber. I know that's an old design and has worked for about a 100 years, but I really perfer the tapered chamber in 9mm.

Before you you buy one do a little reading on the stepped chamber design. You might like it.

The VP40 has a tapered chamber.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master

It is also a polygonal barrel like the Glock.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

"stepped chamber"??????

What does this mean?
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

if you want an inexpensive gun and don't like the grip angle of a glock check out the M&P line. Ive got three and they run every bit as well as my glocks and feel better in my hand. As to feeling around to see if its loaded, if its out of my safe and in the house IT IS loaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by warf73 View Post
    Would never disagree with ya Lloyd about them being over priced. I could never get over the glock angle thing. I tried really hard till Springfield came out with the XD which was my first plastic gun purchase.
    Few things I do like a lot with the XD you can be in the dark and feel if the gun is loaded, and feel if the gun is cocked (firing pin sticks out a smidge). Not saying that make the glock bad, but that is something over it.
    If Sig would make a P238 (a little bigger design ofcourse) in a 40 or 45 I would buy one. Like what Springfield did the XDs, but I really like the 1911 trigger set up over the XDs. Springfield does make the EDM but I'll not be paying $1k+ for CC firearm.

Banned

my nephew is a tropper with the local sherrifs dept. He was issued a sig 9. they switched to 40s and he was issured a glock 22. After shooting my M&Ps a half a dozen times or so he bought a full sized 40 and got permission to use it as his work gun. Now I'm not going to say its a better gun. The reason he did it is it just felt better to him then the sig and pointed better then the glock. Ive been shooting m&ps and glocks mostly for 10 years or so and have never had one miss a beat other then a couple times I had primers seated upside down.

Ive put 10s of thousands of rounds of factory ammo reloads and reloads with cast through both of those platforms. In full sized guns compact guns and sub compact guns and they go bang EVERY TIME. So I have to ask why you would think them a far step behind a sig. I don't buy a black gun to put it in a display case because its pretty or to show off my high dollar gun to someone at the range. these are working guns and there job isn't to shoot one inch 50 yard groups either. Its to go bang every time! My M&Ps and glocks do just that and they do it for 500 bucks.

Explain to me why I should pay 800 dollars or more for a sig. If you say it will last longer ill say prove it. I just don't buy it and even if it did I could buy 2 used glocks or M&Ps that probably have 50 rounds or less through them for the price of one sig. Don't get me wrong. I think a sig is a great gun and an H&K is too but I'm just not into paying 300 bucks for a name stamp on a slide. Maybe ill reconsider my opinion when I start seeing people complaining they wore out there M&P but I'm betting that day wont ever come. I know my full sized 9mm probably has more rounds through it then then 5 average sig owners have shot through there guns and you cant tell it from new other then some finish wear. Bottom line is I don't have money to throw away and for me to lay out 60 percent more money something needs to be shown to me to really open my eyes and make me believe I'm spending money wisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    H&K is a fine pistol but pricey. I'd say overpriced trading on their name and mystic a bit. Like Sig's they will run about forever and if you can afford the price I"d get one in a heartbeat. The SW is a step, a far step I think below both of the previous but it is still a good firearm from what I have been told by people that own them. I happen to like Kahr's myself and think the trigger is much better. In plastic? IDK, toss it up. In steel, H&K

It's kinda like a Rock Island 45ACP vs Wilson. Both will go bang but I doubt many will disagree that the Wilson is a better made pistol.

So by that logic you dont own any Colts either, right Lloyd?

VP9 without question. I've got many thousand rounds through my P30 and would not consider changing from the HK Platform. If you can afford it, I don't think you could do much better.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master

For me it depends on what the purpose of the gun will be. Carry, sport or home gun?

Banned

I actually do own one colt. A gold cup trophy. Its a good shooter and reliable and was my first 1911. Ive had some other colt 1911s through the years and none stayed long. Never saw that they did any better then a Kimber or springfield and because some think there a notch better they bought better trading prices so I could never see hanging on to them. tell you my opinion on 1911s and its the same as my opinion on ar15s. Lots of overpriced stuff because they slap a name on it. I had two les baers and they were good guns but twice as good as my kimbers. I paid close to 2k for those guns. Best 1911 ive owned is a sti Trojan. Just as precisely built as the LB more accurate and under a grand. As to colt 1911s and there ar15s too ill say this to sum it up. You can go and buy one if you want. Spend that extra 3-500 bucks if you have it to waste. I don't. Only good thing is theres enough people who have drank the koolaid and think there a better gun to keep the used prices up so you might not loose to much when you finally realize you paid to much for it. Me ill be happy with a stag ar and a Kimber and have enough money left to keep them fed for years. Same with these black handguns. If you think the 1000 bucks you spend on a you sig or H&K buys you twice the gun that you get with a 500 dollar glock ive got a bridge for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    So by that logic you dont own any Colts either, right Lloyd?