Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting to feel old

Boolit Master

Your old when you realize the first pump 22 rifle you got was 59 years ago. Not to mention the single shot you got to use five years previous to that. The good news is that I am still going goose hunting this weekend!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    Yes everything hurts in the morning and you hope you wake up.
    "If I'm alive, why do I hurt so much and if I'm dead, why do I have to pee?"

I did good till I hit 60 ( two years ago) . Seems everything has gotten worse since then. Only one of everything that I have two of works. I'm glad however that everything that I only have one of still works. I see people wanting to run 10K races.... I just want to walk again without pain.... but at the end of the day I realize that there are many younger than me that did not make it this far. I guess the worse thing about getting old is being able to remember when you were young. I think I am still young... my body tells me otherwise.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    Any of us over 60 have that kind of stuff around......wear it as a badge of honor!
    Ain't it the truth! I am still using an old Herters reloading scale to weigh my powder charges. Never could up grade to a new scale. It is still spot on dead accurate. My dad bought it in the late 60's, and it still doing it's job today.

Some of you will know what I am talking about when I say, "Sometimes I hurt worse all over, more than I do any where else!"
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was going to college my father was sharing a apartment with me
    it was on the second floor,he hated those stairs and I would fly by him and wait
    for him to get in the door.I know how he felt at this point in my life.I worked at manual
    labor most of my life made great pay however now when I do anything I used to do
    it takes days to recover
    Some of you will know what I am talking about when I say, "Sometimes I hurt worse all over, more than I do any where else!"
    I get it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I can relate. Just going through my stash yesterday and came across an unopened box of Western Super X 218 Bee 46 grain open point exp... marked $6.80.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Any day that I don't wake up dead, is a good day !

Old copies of American Rifleman that warn of the coming of the Gun Control Act of 1968, ads that offer Colt 1917's shipped to your door for less than a 50 dollar bill.

Yes I "feel old" in every part of my body, but not my soul.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Master

And what doesn't hurt, doesn't work.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Moderator Emeritus

Good, accurate comments all. When you start to get old, if you don't have a good dose of toughness about you, and don't have a sense of humor about it all, you really need to develop those traits, and pronto! It's ironic that the shorter my time here gets, the less I fear the end one day. As has already been stated, good family really makes a man feel at peace with what he'd done in this life. And not being able to get out like we once did may not be entirely a bad thing. I'll say and do things now that I would have been hesitant to do in my early life. And, there seems to be more need to interject one's self into our surroundings these days, too. We just have to be rational about how we go about it now. When 9/11 happened, I found myself desperately WANTING to go set things aright. Not being able was one of the most humbling things I've ever faced. And disappointing. Life's a beach and then you die, say some. I just call that hogwash, given by people who don't have a clue what life's all about. Life is good. And it's challenging so we can't afford to get lay and inattentive. That's always been our saving grace, and probably always will be. The challenges of getting old aren't near as heavy, usually, as those we had in our earlier days. At least we know how to handle it. Way back when, we didn't know much at all, and had to pretty much learn by trial and error. Even much of the advice we got from others didn't always prove out.

I'm so much more satisfied now than I ever could have been in my 20's! If we follow His rules, God has made life just about like it's always really needed to be. And I appreciate that more and more every day.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151231_145733.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	156926

...even my reloading components are old.

BF
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Banned

I just dumped a pound of H-4895 marked 2.75 in the hopper today.
    I looked at the oldest girl and said 'don't waste it that's the last of the cheap shooting' except for a little ww-2 surplus 4831.
    I would have paired them up with the last of the 49 cent primers but all I have left is some small pistol ones.

we went and done a 10 round test just a minute ago [at zero-f] and the first 2 shots she took were touching about 2-1/2" to the left.
    I tried three and put them under an inch.
    not bad for a 7.7 jap rifle with home made jacketed bullets made from 5.7 cases.
    I hope the new [improved my eye] version of the powder does as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Just finished putting up a new garage door opener and feel like I've been eaten by a coyote and pooped off a cliff. It would have been easier except my garage looks like Fibber McGee's closet (that should date me...) and I was disgustingly sober. May need a little hip and back medicine. We need to start a "I'm so old that..." thread... I'm so old that I can remember when the Kennedy's drowned their women one at a time....

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I was going through some things to pack up for a future move . Just heirloom stuff . Seems my great Aunt was invited to the Presidents Occupational Health Summit (wrong word but correct meaning) in May 1960. Included was a copy of her note declining to attend.
    I found a box FA 58 38 special in my junk to go with 2 cartons Herter's H209s only circa 1970 to go with 8# of A 12# keg of 1968 lotted Red Dot. Somewhere in the stuff is a receipt for the powder . I think it was about $36.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

If I had known I was gonna live this long, I would have taken better care of my self.

Moderator Emeritus

Hit me young, I had back arthritis at 19... by 46 most of my back was destroyed, now at 55 pain free is a dream... but I am one stubborn person! I refuse to give in! I don't do as much as I used to but I try to stay semi active.

Boolit Master

At 70, yes I hurt! People say, maybe you should slow down and take it easy and not work every day. I always reply that I am worried if I do I will no longer be able to work.
    I believe the saying, "If you don't use it, you will lose it". If I am not helping someone rebuild their house, building something out in the shop for the wife or others, I am out there reloading, casting, sizing or coating. Would not be happier any other way.

Maybe pain is are body's way of getting even with use for all the things that we did to it.

Banned
    But on the plus side I can forecast the weather changes by what hurts how bad. Have looked for 2 weeks for a bag of new 444 Marlin brass to make 410 shells out of I knew I had. Found all kinds of things I had forgot about and finally found the brass, in a place I had looked several times

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    If I had known I was gonna live this long, I would have taken better care of my self.
    no truer words have been spoken
    Hoocheemama
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often