Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting to feel old

Banned

Starting to feel old

Been Iced/snowed in the past couple days. Started working up brass for the AR15's. Noticed the brass is stuff I have had stashed for years, head stamped WCC69. Hit home when the 7 1/2 Remington primers were marked $6.90 per thousand. Really felt it when I opened up an 8lb cardboard box of 335 that I bought from a gunclub purchase at $4 a lb. Wont tell what the 55gr Hornady's are marked. Russ

Boolit Grand Master
    Any of us over 60 have that kind of stuff around......wear it as a badge of honor!
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Moderator Emeritus

Like the box of 22lr I found in the bottom of my range bag that I am replacing... box of 50 Remington 22lr 99cents...

Banned

I found shooting tokens and tickets to two gun clubs that have been closed for over 15 years now.
    I'm guessing I won't be using those.

Banned

Finding that I've outlived half the people on my CB friends list is a little sobering.

Gear

Perma-Banned
    ah, you're not "feelin' old", you ARE old .

Perma-Banned

I have been trying to rearrange my reloading area lately...unearthed some components that I bought to feed my first AR...back in 1983.

Man, like you...I was "feeling" old (along with really being old) when I found that stuff and realized that it had been almost 33yrs since I bought it.

Can you remember when you called your knees right and left, now you call them good and bad.

Boolit Master

I still have a half dozen boxes of .22 lr's that are unopened. Each box has a sticker on it with the price......$0.59.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Adjusted for inflation, this is par.

My physical age is inflating too, but I'm rich in spirit and young at heart!
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Knees are called "bad" and "worse"

Boolit Buddy
    I feel old too. In my mind I am 25 but look in the mirror and all the gray hair. My body hurts from all the hard physical labor in my knees and shoulders. I am 46 but feel every year of it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I still have a 1# can of FFG DuPont BP with the price marked on it that I paid back in the early 60s . . . it's marked in black "grease pencil" . . . a whole whopping 75 cents. Still have a couple of tins of #12 Remington caps that I paid 25 cents/100 for them at the same time. Just can't bring myself to use either . .. . . guess that's another sign of getting old . . . trying to "hold on to the past"! LOL I also have several boxes of 22 shorts from when I was a kid . . . we could buy a box of 500 - 10 boxes of 50 for $5.00 at the local hardware. Took a lot of squirrels with them back then. I still can't bring my self to use those two boxes of 50 up!

I still have a few .357 cast reloads dated in the mid 80, and a few .243's from the same time period. They are getting old, I'm already there.

Banned
    when I started loading my dad gave me a keg of Red Dot in the pink can, Alcan wads, shot and a bunch of Cascade (CCI) 209B shot shell caps. He had bushel baskets full of paper shells. I would work all evening to load shells to shoot the next day. The shot shell caps were just the primer so I had to knock the spent cap and anvil out of the battery cup, put the anvil back in and press in a new cap. Still have a couple of boxes of them. If I knew how to post a picture of them, think folks would get a kick out of it

Boolit Master

I'm getting there.

In my last move. I found a box of brass in 10mm auto. Funny I never owned own. Then the light went on. Back in the 80's I bought a ruger mark 2 and would shoot it in the reserve center basement range. One day I came in as the local FBI guys were leaving. They were just transitioning to the 10mm then. I picked up their brass and saved it, at the time I was thinking of getting a colt delta elite pistol.

I gave the box to a shooting pal who had always been very generous to me. His hobby was gunshows and he setup tables or shared with another gun shop dealer friend. He had a delta elite pistol and was tickled to get the brass.

Odd that I held on to that brass for 30 years or so and ended up giving it to a friend who had the somewhat rare and very pistol I wanted way back when. Must have been a reason. I'd also gotten rid of a few other packratted items. I sometimes think I still have some of those items and go to look for them to use and remember I gave them away. (extra 6 gallon boat tanks)

You are all making me think back...I'm 78 and worked in a gun/boat store in the mid 50's while going to college in a small Northern Colorado town...I used to shoot my .30 Luger in the basement of the police building (long concrete hallway that was a perfect echo chamber) with either cotton balls or filters from Kent cigarettes for ear plugs...I have a solid 60% hearing loss today...still got my 62A winchester I got new from Gart Brothers Sporting Goods in Denver in 1947 and it still looks and shoots great.

Today it's COPD, asthma, one replaced knee, one bad retina, arthritis and 1/2 my diaphragm not working so only one lung doing all the work...but you know what....We got a terrific family (3 kids, 4 grandkids and 2 great grand kids...my kids families are solid as a rock...no druggies, no boozers (Grandad had a spell with that but it ended in 1981)..nobody sick...nobody on the government dole...everyone just doing the right things.

I spend a lot of time on Google Earth looking at places I've lived and visited over a long life....I can't travel because of my lungs but I can "go there" for free and have memories..really enjoy it.

Still do some loading and target shooting and really enjoy it...certainly not the shot I was some years ago but I got nothing to prove to anyone...just fun and got real ear muffs now..Wish I still had the .30 Luger.

Boolit Master

You know you're really old when you wake up in the morning and even your (if you got any) hair hurts!
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

The first thing to go is your memory, after that I forget. Casted a few jig heads for next years crappie. Seems I have to relearn how to do everything from scratch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    You know you're really old when you wake up in the morning and even your (if you got any) hair hurts!
    Ole Jack
    Yes everything hurts in the morning and you hope you wake up.