Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannon for New Years?

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.

Cannon for New Years?

Ok, so who all is getting their BP cannon ready to ring in the New Year? I need to dust mine off. Post some photos....

Boolit Master
    Attachment 156670will this work?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We used to do it every year. Now, most of us are home thinking about bed by 10 o'clock.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

You can stay up 'til 10 PM? Wow!

Boolit Master
    Going Outside in the dark: To old!! might fall down and not get up. Besides those younger fellows are known to shoot horizontal instead of vertical these days.
    Rather get a smooch from my Lovey before she calls it a day. Than me and the pooch sharing my recliner wait till the clock reads 11:50 or so. Get up pour myself a shot of Crown Royal to salute the New Year in. ~~~5 minutes later Night night!!

Boolit Man
    No cannon, but my cowboy blanks 45 colt, primer drilled out, makes pretty good noise. Happy new year.

In Remembrance

Detroit TV stations are airing commercials that the city and police are asking that you just jingle a little sleigh bell rather that shooting guns into the sky. That would be a change since there seems to be enough shooting at each other going on there.Robert

Boolit Master

.62 caliber, made by me from bronze bar stock. Loaded with 90 grains FFg and tissue wad she makes quite a racket.

Boolit Master
    I wish. I used to have a 1/3 replica Napoleonic. 2 (volume) oz ffg and tissue. Big bang and smoke at midnight.

Here's a pic of my Kansas Cannon Works 1841, 6 pounder, and no, it's not clip fed....... A 35 mm film containers worth of Pyrodex in a tinfoil ball is our standard load.
    Cheers,
    R
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

Boolit Master

Anyone in the market for a canon barrel and a couple wagon wheels? I have had it for over 20 years and have not done anything with it. It's a 2/3 scale 6 pounder, weighs 250 pounds. It has been shot with blank charges.

243 I can't afford the powder to fire that thing to fire it once in a lifetime, let alone every new year. Just think how much lead one would get just for scaping that steel. We are talking life time supplies.
    Would much rather people in neighborhoods not shoot at all as to shooting straight up. That slug has to come down somewhere and sometime. Had a carport roof that got a hole in it,light weight tin, on new years. Others found some slugs that dinged their cars on the roof or hoods. The one in mine ,I found the slug laying inside on the concreate, so I looked up and there it was a hole. Not a fan of shooting straight up or just into the air at the clouds.
    CD
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Anyone in the market for a canon barrel and a couple wagon wheels? I have had it for over 20 years and have not done anything with it. It's a 2/3 scale 6 pounder, weighs 250 pounds. It has been shot with blank charges.
    I wish you were closer... we would talk.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mumblypeg View Post
    I wish you were closer... we would talk.
    With both sets of wheels and axles it's more than a pick-up load. I suppose if you brake the wheels and axle down it would fit but to drive across the country and back would take a week.

Boolit Man
    I talked to an fella with a cannon, said they used 1 pound black powder & the rest flower.

Boolit Grand Master

Good Morning
    243.. can you elaborate a little on that barrel ? I cannot imagine the work involved to get that "rifling" cut.

Couple years ago a cannon shooter in west Indiana suggested using dried grass as wadding. Been doing so since in a 1.1 inch. No more confetti laying about the yard.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

The previous owner used to shoot this pair of 1 1/2" bore cannon.I have nt tried them yet but will in the fullness of time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good Morning
    243.. can you elaborate a little on that barrel ? I cannot imagine the work involved to get that "rifling" cut.

Couple years ago a cannon shooter in west Indiana suggested using dried grass as wadding. Been doing so since in a 1.1 inch. No more confetti laying about the yard.
    Mike in Peru
    Thats what I recommend also, no mess to clean up and still plenty of bang.

I use red shop rags for wadding in my golf ball mortar. Most of the time the come out whole.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Banned
    I have no idea how to load this how much powder how to do the wad and so forth. Any help would be appreciated. Note* It is perfectly safe and has been fired a hundred or more times years ago.

The ball is slightly under 1.00