WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How hard is it for you to find black powder?

How hard is it for you to find black powder?

We are at a hour drive now for Goex powder..Really not that bad since we usually other stuff while we are there..about $18 per pound now..I hear guys all the time saying they have to bulk order it and split the order to save on shipping and hazmat charges..What about you?

Boolit Grand Master

I have to drive to UT. The only place I know of is in northern UT so about a 7 hr(one way) drive. I do go there about once a year so I now just pick it up when I visit. The one place in town here quite selling all BP stuff. There is probably a closer place if I search but it likely would be a special trip.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

I can get regular GoEx at a couple places here but amount is ussually limited and I perfer the Olde Ensford and Swiss at times so 2 times a year I order powder in a 25 lb quanity mixed case. When loading the 45-90 45-70 and 40-65 a lb of powder dosnt go very far actually.

Boolit Master
    How hard is it for you to find black powder?

Very easy. I can drive 10 miles to town and buy GOEX. Or, a couple of mouse clicks and have other brands delivered to my door at competitive prices.

Amazing how people will drive long distances to save so very little on a price tag. In many instances, the per mile cost of operating a vehicle far exceeds the hazmat and shipping that many complain about. Penny wise, pound foolish is alive and well.

Not hard at all. It's on my computer, order from Graf's or Powder Inc and it shows up days later with a nervous FedEx driver happy to deliver it!

Closest brick and mortar store carrying black powder is 2 hours away in Orlando, Florida.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

know of the places you can order..I really meant your local gun stores..I just ask because it seems most of our brick & mortar suppliers have stopped carrying it because of the paper work..Like I said our drive is one hour but we always turn it into a day for other thigns too so Im not just going to get powder..Know what I mean..

I burn almost a case a year so I order It from Powder Inc. Usually I'll sell some during the year for what I paid for it so a case really doesn't last for long.

A pound of powder dosnt really go very far..Ive burnt a pound this weekend..

Boolit Master
    Some gun clubs buy in bulk for their members. One I used to belong to had an approved storage facility. They did a big order once a year for anyone who wanted in (members only, but most members didn't mind helping out a non-member if they knew him well enough).
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Find members of the Kentucky Corp of Rifleman whose home range is in Morehead. They can likely point you in the right direction. The NMLRA is a good place to check also.

Bvt
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Trollwhack View Post
    Find members of the Kentucky Corp of Rifleman whose home range is in Morehead. They can likely point you in the right direction. The NMLRA is a good place to check also.

Bvt
    Ive heard there is a good club up in Morehead. I worked in west Liberty for several years, I live about an hour and a half south east of Morehead right now..We had a good muzzleloader club next county over in Salyersville but I don't think they have been too active the last several years..
    Oh by the way we have been buying at Borders in Ashland..

Boolit Master
    My powders are shared between my Remington NMA, Ruger Old Army, and Lyman .50 cal Deerstalker. As my pistols are involved and I require a high level of performance from them as they are hunting sidearms as well not just any powder will do. I couldn't find Olde Eynsford or Swiss locally and used Triple 7 until I couldn't find it in 3F for months and went online. Buying 3 lbs nullifies the HazMat and I'm happy with that. No more wasted trips to find out there's no powder for me. I buy from Grafs.

Boolit Master

I have been known to shoot a couple of cases a year in shotguns and I shoot several times a year at Friendship so I just pick up my powder there. Goex, Old Enysford, Swiss
    All grades from NullB Swiss to fg, one pound cans to 25 pound bags.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Im lucky its about 10 minutes at the most from my house in a small town. But if I want a to look at a rifle I do it on line and guess if it will work. No one around here carrys anything and Cabelas has them but not much in stock. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Master

Grafs. Burning gas is more costly than ordering from them. Don't even have to leave the load room.

Boolit Master
    Have Cabela's 15 minutes away and Track of the Wolf 30 minutes away. Both are in the same direction road wise. Either one or the other or both have always had as much Gorex or Swiss as I wanted to buy in stock whenever I was in need. Frankly: Never wanted to split a case of powder with anyone>to much of a hassle not my cup of tea.
    So for the last two years for fun and giggles I've made my own B/P at whim. Both variety's screened & corned. Lately its been screen only. Which is appropriate for use in my Hawken rifles as I do deer hunt with mine.
    Honestly I don't see or hear any difference between my powder and a store bought powders ignition. 100 yard groupings are near the same in looks. Where there is a difference is in the powders costs. $5.00 a pound verses 20.00 to 30.00 a pound depending on brand. So these days I shoot more and worry less.

Boolit Master
    I've never understood the question, "how hard is it to find...". Are you trying to make things difficult? I can get Goex powders 40 minutes away by highway, or I can order anything I want on this here computer thingy in the comfort of my home. I almost never drive to get it. Same with caps. Someone just the other day on another forum tried to say he was "having a hard time" finding caps, when there was a Cabela's ad on the very page where he posted the comment, and they have caps in stock by the thousands. Oy!

Yes; the Feds made it very difficult and expensive for local stores to stock black powder. Yes, that was years and years ago. So work to get the laws changed and to dispose of the BATFE once and for all. Until then, most people have to order their black powder and pay HASMAT fees. It's part of the overall harassment system, making gun ownership more difficult and expensive. So change it.

Boolit Master
    I buy all I need at Fort Chambers gun shop in Chambersburg, PA. It's about 20 minutes from where I'm hanging out every weekend so it's not a big deal to drive up there. They always have a great selection, and Swiss powder to boot also.

Once, years ago, a couple of us pooled our resources to buy a 25 pound keg of Goex. We drew straws to see who had to make the trip down to Virginia to pick it up. The guy who lost the draw arrived back with the powder to where we were waiting in the driveway. He stepped out of his truck wearing a hard hat, safety goggles, and welder's gloves. We all rolled with laughter as none of that stuff would've saved him had he somehow detonated that keg of powder.

In Remembrance

A local on line auction just ended last night. There were 2 full unopened cans of Goex 2F that went for $30.Robert

Can't find it locally at all, and thus have to eat the shipping & Hazmat fees. However, this guy's prices, selection, and service make mail order at least tolerable: http://addictedtoblackpowder.com/index.html