RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Case feeder on dillon 550B

Boolit Buddy

Case feeder on dillon 550B

Been looking at adding one. Any experience? Are they worth it? How picky are they? Any input is appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master

Here is what I've gathered. It's not an easy swap and they are caliber specific. So if you like to load a bunch of different cartridges then you don't want to add one. The people that have them seem to like them a lot.

I'm a little disappointed with the versatility of the 550 case feeder. No 380,32 short,or 25 In pistol. No rifle at all. Works great for the pistol cal. that it does load, no issues.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I will pass.

I added one to my 550b and it took awhile to get it set up. Its not something that is easily taken off once its installed but it can be done. The case feeder works fine and will save you a lot of time reloading pistol calibers but won't feed any rifle calibers at all. To fix my problem I've dedicated the 550 to large primer pistol calibers only, 45 acp,44 spl,44 mag and 45 colt and installed a xl650 with a case feeder for small primers only at this time. I do realize that this is an expensive way to reload ammo, however reloading is something I enjoy just about as much as shooting.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Nice looking set up Rockchucker!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Thanks, Its a little crowded but its all the space I have at the moment.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I have one, I load 9mm, .38Spl, .357Mag, .44Spl and .44Mag. I have only had one issue and that was the lever that activates the Primer Slider (WAG as to what you call it). When the case feeder went on, it pushed the lever over a little and it was rubbing on the frame of the press, after I removed a little metal from the fram where it was rubbing, the problem went away.

Changing between the listed calibers requires only swapping a coloured tube at the bottom of the case feeding tube, and a small plate that alligns the shell with where it needs to go in station one on the press.

I love it, I can load faster, and it is safer. If you don't manually index the shell plate, the case feeder will feed a second shell into station one, and if you then yank on then handle, it will try and shove two shells into the sizing die, which will give a subtle reminder that you have stuffed up.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Bub
    I've had one for 8 years and once I got it set up have had no problems at all. It will only work for pistol calibers but it works great. I have heard of all of the problems with the case feeder but haven't had any. To me a must buy if you do a lot of pistol calibers.

Boolit Master
    I installed one and overall was very disappointed. Basically, it is an add-on for a press that was never designed to have a case feeder, so yes it's finicky. It is also limited as it will not do short cases like the popular 380. I ran two 550 presses since they were first introduced, but about four years ago I decided it was time to move up, so I sold my 550's and purchased two 650's and have never looked back. The 650 was designed to use a case feeder and it's feeder will handle small cases. The 650 is a stronger press and if you load for accuracy, the COAL maintains a tighter tolerance on the 650's than I was ever able to achieve with my 550's. Obviously, the 650 is faster and safer as you can add a a powder check die because you have an additional station. My advice is if you want a case feeder, and who doesn't, is to sell your 550 and purchase the 650, you will be much happier.

Boolit Man
    http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=78

check out the dillion specific reloading equipment forum at Brian Enos

check this thread, a hack that shows you can do .300 Blackout thru the casefeeder on the 550b, so you should be able to do .30 carbine too

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...owtopic=157578

there are other people thinking outside the box just like here

and somewhere in that forum I saw where a guy used a vise grips to attach a paint brush before the drop tube to help with better feeding

Boolit Master
    looking at that picture I did not realize how much larger a 650 is compared to a 550

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    looking at that picture I did not realize how much larger a 650 is compared to a 550
    The 650 is a stronger press and has 5 stations, but the actual press is not a lot larger than the 550. It's when you add the case feeder and the support base, which requires more clearance above.

Boolit Buddy
    I ran one on my 550b for 9mm, and decided to sell it a while back. It was cumbersome, and I didn't feel that it added much speed to my reloading on the 550b. I usually don't extensively screen my handgun brass before I start reloading, so occasionally I will have to stop producing to pull the brass off and swage out a primer pocket before continuing. So, for me, the case feeder was more of a hinderance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S. Galbraith View Post
    I ran one on my 550b for 9mm, and decided to sell it a while back. It was cumbersome, and I didn't feel that it added much speed to my reloading on the 550b. I usually don't extensively screen my handgun brass before I start reloading, so occasionally I will have to stop producing to pull the brass off and swage out a primer pocket before continuing. So, for me, the case feeder was more of a hinderance.
    With the Dillon 650 you can add an optional swage for your primer pockets.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    With the Dillon 650 you can add an optional swage for your primer pockets.
    Yep. The case feeder indeed does make sense on the 650 or 1050.