Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I sure don't know much about flintlocks

Does anyone else here think that a local gunshop that has black powder doesn't also have to pay hazmat shipping fees ?

Since they're in business for the money (and not for love) the local shop's extra cost is most likely loaded into their retail price.

The reason behind ordering BP online from a bulk shipper/supplier - is that the online supplier costs are much lower to stay in business - like no brick/mortar store expenses (taxes, upkeep, etc, etc).

In my .50s I started with 60 to 70 grains of 3F, a .490" ball and lubed .016" ticking patch. When I starting using a .024" patch both accuracy and velocity increased. Remember that different (even identical) guns may like a larger, .495", or smaller, .485" and a thicker or thinner patch. My first load is kind of a good standard starting place. Subs either don't work well or not at all in a flintlock. You can prime with the same powder you use for the main charge. I usually order a 25# case of Goex or Jacks Battle Powder; the hazardous materials charge is the same no matter if you order 3# or 50# of powder. Get with an experienced flint shooter or you may become frustrated.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    Did someone say you can order BP through the mail as in the USPS. If you meant UPS or Fex EX shipping gets stupid here in AK. and that's not counting the HAZ MAT. One of our local gun shops get some on the barge from time to time but it's not regular. It runs $25 per lb which I suppose isn't all that bad if it was always in stock. Bass Pro, Cabelas SW and the like do not handle BP.

Banned

i order online from MainePowderHouse, 25# swiss, $23/pound, no shipping or hazmat fees with that large an order.

Boolit Master
    Sensai,
    Well think of it this way- you are either going to like the flintlock or not. If you dink around, buy a pound or two of a sub trying to find something that will work, discover it doesn't work very well, you are already two pounds of powder in the hole and haven't even tried something that will give you the best chance of making a flintlock work. Then your choices will either be to get rid of the flintlock or buy some blackpowder that you should have bought to begin with.

Banned

i agree with 416 - sometimes one can be penny wise and pound foolish. it has been my long flintlock experiences (since the 60's) that black powder use will render the better possible outcomes whence employed with flintlock ignition, performance, fouling control and clean up.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensai View Post
    Hazmat fees and minimum order sizes limits online purchase of black powder to a "last resort" for me.
    Substitutes have a much higher ignition temp than real black. That's why they're not as heavily regulated. The temp is too high for a flinter.

Powder Inc. Has free hazmat. They do, however, have a minimum order of 5 lbs.

Graf's has no minimum order, and their goex products are about $7/lb cheaper than powder Inc. They do have a hazmat fee. That being said, if you order 5 lbs, it still comes out a bit cheaper than powder Inc.

You should probably go ahead and order several pounds anyway. You don't get that many shots out of a pound.

Boolit Master
    What I have found with the free shipping is usually it doesn't work for Alaska and Hawaii and I don't need anywhere near 25# of BP for my 32cal flinter. 25grs gives me good accuracy and plenty of velocity. That figures out to about 250 shots per #. That's a lot of shooting considering it isn't the fastest thing in the world to reload. But yeah I use the real thing cause the fake stuff doesn't work well at all.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensai View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Not his fault, I didn't ask.

Hazmat fees and minimum order sizes limits online purchase of black powder to a "last resort" for me.
    To cut through the non answers, there several North-South Skirmish groups in and around Tidewater Va. Look them up, meet them or talk to them, and someone will likely steer you to BP dealer or supplier in the area. They are there.

Call the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association and inquire as to the Tidewater area affiliated shooting groups. They are there also and respond favorably to inquiries.
    Either organization would have members happy to help you out.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Buddy

You have been given a lot of info on which powder to use. As I recall on pyrodex, it had a higher ignition temp , thus more finicky to set off with a flinter. When the day comes to start shooting be sure NO ONE is standing to the side of the flintlock ! They really wont appreciate singed hair!

" I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it. " Matthew Quigley

Banned

you ain't kiddin' - stay away from the lock side. ignition and launch in less than a second. frame #3 sez it all ...

Boolit Grand Master

Sensai, I buy mine from The Armory in Virginia Beach, almost around the corner from me. Bob's carries some Goex as does The Armory. Next time you will be in the area PM me.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!