RepackboxLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with people!!

Boolit Master
    I had always thought the issue with "hunters" shooting livestock was urban myth or malicious cretins claiming to not know the difference when they got caught.
    After leaving Montana, I subscribed to the local newspaper for several years. There was an article about "hunters" who brought a llama to Roth's meat processing place to have their deer cut up. It was then that I decided that some of those stories were true.
    You'd think that someone who had enough interest in hunting to pay the high cost of out of state tags, travel, etc., would've at least looked at a couple of pictures in a field and stream magazine.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Grand Master

The old nieghbor had a cure for illegal tree stands in his woods. It was called a chainsaw. He would go thru the woods opening day and any tree stand that didnt have permisson the tree came down wether the hunter was in it or not. He lost alot of wood when he had it logged due to nails in trees from tree stands and a very small sense of humor.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    I had always thought the issue with "hunters" shooting livestock was urban myth or malicious cretins claiming to not know the difference when they got caught.
    I mostly agree but some really stupid people do go hunting and do some really stupid things. Sometimes its landowner BS. In two separate states different landownerswere repeated claiming hunters had shot their cattle and horses. In both cases it was the landowner shooting his own stock. One was insurance fraud and the other was a very unstable landowner. The insurance one resulted in the landowner getting jail time. I never heard what happened to the other one.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana shooter View Post
    I made a call the the landowner but she is very hard of hearing and seldom hears the phone ring. I didn't think of taking vehicle information at the time and being that the land isn't mine I didn't think I had the right to run them off. Besides, last year the neighbor brought two people and only hunted opening morning and my grandpa and I had the place to ourselves the rest of the year. I figured it would be more of the same but I'd have to pick up more trash.
    Kentucky has quite a few conservation agents . I'm in the Bluegrass region, and have talked to many of them. Indiana folks cause a great many problems for them on our northern and western borders, especially our Wildlife Management Areas and adjoining private property.

You came all the way from Indiana and did not try very hard to help the poor old land owner lady who was generous to you.
    So you did not get the plate numbers and were afraid to run the others off....running anyone off was not your business at all, but certainly acting on the problem with a CO call and to contact
    the old lady was not too much for you to do.

The neighbor last year has nothing to do with this year. You failed to act positively in favor of your benefactor this year . That's CRUMMY.

BvT

Maybe you ought to stay up there in Indiana.
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    I've been know to chain a truck to a tree, or two trucks together, while I waited for the landowner or IFW. I've drug a truck or two off my place out onto the main road and left it.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    You'd think that someone who had enough interest in hunting to pay the high cost of out of state tags, travel, etc., would've at least looked at a couple of pictures in a field and stream magazine.
    The first time I saw Montana was in 1971 when my wife and I made a swing through the state to visit two places where she had friends or relatives. While we were in the state, deiving from here to there, we heard the details of a 'hunting accident' which was in the news every day.

Apparently, an out-of-state hunter was in the woods looking for an elk, and what he managed to shoot was an eight year-old girl, in a red overcoat, at a bus stop, waiting for the school bus.

Somebody asked him if he had any idea of what an elk looks like and his answer was that he had meant to get down to San Diego to see one at the zoo ... but never got time to make the trip.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Love Life
    It's safer in a warzone overseas than it is in the woods during hunting season in Georgia!!

My brother and I recently stopped all hunting on a property we bought from a family member. We grew up having to clean up the hunters' messes, seeing the destroyed fences and roads, bullet holes in outbuildings, people taking a dump wherever they wanted, etc.

Since neither of us hunt anymore, we just shut it down to hunting because of the hassle and are going to have it logged and bank the cha-ching. We'll let youth hunt it again someday when we move back and build our homes.

This thread, and our specific situation, makes me think of a saying I hear often in my line of work: "See, this is why we can't have nice things."

I remember looking in disgust at all the trash thrown around the beauty of the Sierras, and I understood why Da Gubmint takes things away. Sucks, but bad apples ruin it for all.

Well.... I got shot by a man that was an experienced hunter. He had hunted here and out west also and had taken a good bit of game over the years. I have no idea what he thought he saw... but it was me and not the game he was hunting for. I will say this for him, he did not run and owned up to it. It was not fatal however(humor) but did cost me an eye..... Other times I have run off many trespassers. Some have just stood there and looked at me like they were not going to leave until I told them "And I mean NOW !" One I remember had his young son with him and was from out of state, NC is 45 miles away. They just don't get it....
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I have a new land owner ,on the property next to my little slice of heaven. When he first stoped by a couple years ago the fella asked if I would mind if he set a stand and set in the corner on my side when he came over , well of course it did not bother me .i thought it was the neighborly thing to do . So it's my fault to start with and I'll have to fix it.Well it seems he rents out hunting trips to people from the city and implies that thay can hunt my farm as well .yep it's going to be a problem . There are at least a dozen stands hanging around my farm. Their goes the neighborhood.
    Go tell your neighbor you gave permission for A STAND and not the dozen now in place. Or better yet. Take them all down since they are on your property and keep them yourself since he's obviously decided to give them to you...
    AND also close down his access to your corner of heaven since he abused your generosity.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

No big story here, just a little one, mother owns just under 80 acres that as of a few years ago is inside of a small town in MS. No gun hunting, just bow. Had a son of one of her friends ask if he and his son could hunt it. Got rather pi$$3d when she told him no hunting..... Mainly stems from a "friend" bringing a "friend to fish a few years ago and then threatened to sue her after hurting ankle while on the property. Friend's friend was trespassing..... Go figure

Boolit Master
    Here's a BETTER idea. Contact the local high school and see if they have a "OUTDOORSMAN CLUB. We have one near here that conducts a hunt for Handy Capped and Wheel chair hunters every year. It has WIDE acknowledgement and freebees given to the club. The local TV stations generally offer a interview each year of some of the high schooners and the hunters. Word would get around that your land is ONLY for the club and its benefits. That looks good on Job Apps.

I put the blame for a lot of this stuff on the "hunting" shows and how they turn hunting into football or something complete with acting like an idiot over the dead critter. One more thing to think about: all these yahoos can breed, they can concealed carry in many states, and their vote counts just as much as yours.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

There were 8 of us who had a South Texas lease in Zapata County back in the 80's. Unfortunately, for us, the ranch had a couple of oil wells on it. That meant 18-wheelers driving into the place at odd hours to load oil from the tanks. And since there were multiple companies picking up oil, the gate had a number lock on it and it seemed like half of Zapata County had the lock combination as we saw numerous people driving the ranch who had no business being there. Friend of mine was just about to get down off of his stand about one o'clock in the afternoon, when a '64 Chevy, with a man and a woman in it, drove up and stopped about 50 yards down the sendero. He didn't know who they were, but said they put on quite a show on the trunk of the car.
    Last edited by Kent Fowler; 11-16-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent Fowler View Post
    There were 8 of us who had a South Texas lease in Zapata County back in the 80's. Unfortunately, for us, the ranch had a couple of oil wells on it. That meant 18-wheelers driving into the place at odd hours to load oil from the tanks. And since there were multiple companies picking up oil, the gate had a number lock on it and it seemed like half of Zapata County had the lock combination as we saw numerous people driving the ranch who had no business being there. Friend of mine was just about to get down off of his stand about one o'clock in the afternoon, when a '64 Chevy, with a man and a woman in it, drove up and stopped about 50 yards down the sendero. He didn't know who they were, but said they put on quite a show on the trunk of the car.
    Thats when you climb down as they are finishing up, walk by and nod and say hello with a smirk.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Master
    When I hunted private land I always left the gates as I found them, and asked the land owner if he wanted me to close it the next time out. Two gates on the property were to be shut at all times on the last property.

I've destroyed too many good clothes trying to cross barbed-wire fences and I prefer to roll under the bottom wire most of the time. I've seen the same lack of consideration from snowmobilers and atv/motorcycle riders when it comes to cutting fences.

I have never understood the morons who shoot at movement and noise. And my last pet peeve is Leasing Agents whoring out our hunting heritage for a quick buck. Some of the stupidest hunters I have ever met are the ones who have more money than sense and pay for their sucess instead of doing their homework. They brag about the fenced in deer they shoot, I brag about the free range deer I took with a bullet I made and hand-loaded myself. They look at me like I have lost my mind.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

People have lost respect for others, notice how seldom others are polite, people have lost respect for other folks property, this very thread proves it, people have lost respect for themselves, ever notice how folks dress anymore. I brought up the last point a year or more ago and was soundly trouped for my ideals, but the fact of the matter is it is true.

Today it's all about me, me, me, me.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

This thread makes me feel pretty lucky. I'm on a lease with a group. I'm the only one of the group that's not part of the same family and I was invited by the family to be on the lease. They all respect the land and the wildlife although one portion of the family could be a little better. They're good folks and their kids have taken to me as a grandpa which I enjoy. We are all learning from each other. I seem to be the only one that ever has any tools at the camp so end up happily helping with repairs.

What's wrong with people, though. I was in line behind someone in a very nice late model truck at the gas pumps last weekend. It was a truck nicer than I would buy yet he had to pay cash for his gas. I noticed he was wearing a Tee shirt that boldly claimed "I Call the Shots" accompanied by an image of a bottle and a shot glass. Classy! Then the dufus freaking LIGHTS A CIGARETTE while pumping gas. I opened the door of my truck and hollered at him to put it out. He was POed but put it out. Idiot!

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    This thread makes me feel pretty lucky. I'm on a lease with a group. I'm the only one of the group that's not part of the same family and I was invited by the family to be on the lease. They all respect the land and the wildlife although one portion of the family could be a little better. They're good folks and their kids have taken to me as a grandpa which I enjoy. We are all learning from each other. I seem to be the only one that ever has any tools at the camp so end up happily helping with repairs.

What's wrong with people, though. I was in line behind someone in a very nice late model truck at the gas pumps last weekend. It was a truck nicer than I would buy yet he had to pay cash for his gas. I noticed he was wearing a Tee shirt that boldly claimed "I Call the Shots" accompanied by an image of a bottle and a shot glass. Classy! Then the dufus freaking LIGHTS A CIGARETTE while pumping gas. I opened the door of my truck and hollered at him to put it out. He was POed but put it out. Idiot!

David
    Exactly!

Couple of weeks ago we had our monthly indoor range meeting. In walk's a member with cut-off blue jeans, dirty & greasy at that, with a t shirt with the sleeves cut off and the arm holes half way down to his waist, also dirty & greasy. Plain and simple, a slob! I wouldn't be caught out mowing my yard looking like that let along out in public.

Anyone notice how the folks are dressing in France?
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Had a local judge that told land owners if the wanted to keep Hispanics off their property they would have to post notresspass signs in spanish. On the flip side we have a Gamewarden (Used in full respect) that if I call him with lic. numbers and vehicle discription he takes care of the problem immediatly, really great guy just don't cross him. We have alot of drive hunters on our driveway ( 3/4 mile long) that we contend with. I have lived here long enough most know there will be trouble if the NO Trespassing is not adheard to. Most famous statement is " man it is beautiful back here , we just wanted to look around and see if a house was for sale back here.) Meanwhile the deer rifle is laying in the seat with them. I just explain I have their vehicle imfor. and plate # and the gamewarden will be notified as they are leaving the property, and that I best not hear a shot fired as they leave and do not return. A couple have been encouraged by a shot over the heads. They will then contact the LE or the warden and seems the officails explain it must be their lucky day he doesn't miss. Sometime a reputation of being a little short on pateints pays. Then many hunters will respect the signs and call which we tell them it is for our family only and thanks for calling.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by leeggen View Post
    A couple have been encouraged by a shot over the heads. They will then contact the LE or the warden and seems the officails explain it must be their lucky day he doesn't miss.
    You are very lucky. Most LE will arrest you for attempted homicide. Some will shoot back and may not miss. If you shoot at them they can claim they feared for their life and they are justified in using deadly force to protect themselves.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-16-2015 at 11:01 PM.