RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Tang Sight Questions

Boolit Mold

Tang Sight Questions

Hey folks. In my last post, I mentioned that I had recently purchased a Pedersoli rolling block. It came with a Pedersoli globe sight. I'm not a huge fan of those because I due quite a bit of shooting at indoor ranges (despite having next to no reloading supplies available locally, we do have a 50-yard and 100-yard indoor ranges). I'm able to modify the Lyman front globe so I can actually shoot it against a dark background.

Anyway, it also came with a generic rear tang that I've seen before on other guns. I think it's a Pedersoli, but the closest I can find online is this - http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=7543

You have to loosen the eye cup to make either windage or elevation adjustments. The eye cup screws into a small sliding bar that moves left and right for windage.

So first I'd like to know if anyone knows the threading of the eye cup off the top of their head. I thinking it's 10-32, but I don't know for sure. I was thinking I could buy a Hadley for it, while I save up for a better sight.

Secondly, there's a lot of things I don't like about this sight. It doesn't maintain it's windage adjustment when you make elevation adjustments. There's a ton of flex in the mechanism when you tighten down the eye piece. Is there anyway to make this sight more functional? I've tried keeping the windage adjustment in place with a magnet, but that doesn't work very well.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    I have the same generic mid-range sight, the thread for the eye is metric and as far as I have researched the Hadley eye cups sold are of a different thread, even the Pedersoli cups.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Junk the sight. Find something better to fit your needs on the indoor range.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Vendor Sponsor

I went to the Dixie page listed (off topic - sorry) and no wonder Creedmoor is misspelled so often! Even Dixie misspells it Creedmore !

Anyway, your getting good advice above. Don't put another nickle in the sight you have and choose from good low end to very high end tang sights. Any thing could be better than what you are fighting.
    One option is Lee Shaver offers an economy rear target sight which despite it sounding like a bad investment really is fine for getting starting. It is repeatable and that is the difference between junk and something that is serviceable.Lee's low end sight is serviceable. Or, you can spend more $$ and get better and better sights like Shavers best offering or a Baldwin or MVA which are as good as it gets in traditional sights.

Chill Wills

I have a couple Shaver economy tang sights, and they're head and shoulders above the Pedersoli tang sight you have. My preference is MVA above all others, but there are several less expensive that will still be well above the one you have, and also have windage in them that's repeatable.

Boolit Master
    I made a modification to my Pedersoli Tang sight by removing the sliding bar and making one from 1" Steel Angle.It has a small Knurled Screw on one leg of the angle so that when adjusting for elevation the windage is not lost.I will follow up with Photos when my Camera Battery is charged.I did this mod at least 3 years since and it works fine.At this stage I cannot remember what Thread I tapped for the eye piece.The mod is so simple I am surprised that Pedersoli has not thought of it since the idea came to me due to the problems of readjusting Windage after adjusting elevation.

Boolit Master

Hope this Photo shows details.

Boolit Master

another view

Boolit Master

Another view,the small spring is to keep the screw tight from turning during shooting.

Boolit Master
    The pictures are a bit fuzzy but I think you will see how the mod works.
    Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    The pictures are a bit fuzzy but I think you will see how the mod works.
    Regards.
    That's a pretty slick little mod to make the windage easier to do accurately!

Boolit Master
    I believe Lee Shaver makes a Hadley to fit this, but why bother? I wouldn't waste money on a sight you will replace anyway. I am not a Hadley fan, but even if I was, I wouldn't invest on this one. If you need a larger hole, drill it out.

The Pedersoli Hadley eye piece only works for theyre nicer sights, I have a few of the cheapy ones like yours and one of the Pedersoli better quality ones. I do like the windage modification that COL4570 did. I kept planning to do the same but then I got the nicer sight, then a Kelley came along & a Red River is on it's way. For what it's worth the cheap Ped functions o.k just finicky to adjust & return to zero.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

The higher priced Pedersoli has much better adjustments, and occasionally I see them cheap on Ebay or Gunbroker. I picked one up a few years back for $125 there, and then redrilled the base to fit on a Ballard I was hunting with.
    Like this. They are $279 new, and I would buy a Lee Shaver over this if paying new price:
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/imgPart/rs-dp-1874_1.jpg

In Remembrance

I believe it was Dixie works that I got a long range sight like yours for my Pedersoli 45/70 Rolling Block. There was no windage adjustment I found out when I got it. There was so much black paint in the vertical adjustment screw that I had to work the screw all the way up and back down 4 times using lots of light oil to get the paint out of the thread. It finally works smoother than when I got it, I had to drift the globe front sight for windage adjustment. Lesson learned by myself, spend the extra bucks with both adjustments and not a Pedersoli version!Robert

Boolit Master
    I'm actually pretty happy with my Shaver Hadley. Quite a few different holes to choose from, depending on how the light is and how my eyes are that day, plus it's easier than drilling when I decide I want a smaller​ hole.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.