Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you picky about your brass?

Boolit Master

Are you picky about your brass?

I'm thinking mostly about thick military or foreign 9mm brass as I type this, but also other calibers. I size my 9mm boolits to .358 mostly, and in thicker brass they leave more of a bulge. The bulge rarely seems to cause a problem, so maybe I'm being silly.

I can afford to be picky, since I have quite a bit of range brass that I've picked up over the years and I don't shoot a whole lot. In short, I've got way more brass than I'll ever use. I usually just pick out the US stuff (RP, WIN, FC, etc) and set the foreign and military brass aside. I have bags full of PMC, S&B, and whatever else that I'll never use.

Anyone else do this, or am I just being way too picky?

Boolit Grand Master

Sort a hundred or so of each and see which variety works best for your boolit and firearm. Way back when I loaded 9mm I felt RP was best, WW too thin and Fed too brittle but things have likely changed since then. Picky is good! It's good to be able to be picky.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I am quite picky when I'm reloading for a rifle caliber but not nearly as much for when i load for a handgun

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jrap View Post
    I am quite picky when I'm reloading for a rifle caliber but not nearly as much for when i load for a handgun
    /\ Pretty much sums up my feelings.

Boolit Master

This describes me also. I don't sort handgun brass at all.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I usually don't sort handgun brass UNLESS I'm working to a max load. Then I do.
    Rifle, unless just plinking loads, are sorted and worked up for one type of brass.
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    If a primer seats, the brass gets used in my 9mms.

Boolit Master
    I am doing the same thing sort by h.s. helps me seating plump 9mm without squashing them down .the first time I saw loading block full of unsorted 9s filled with powder througher showed case capacity difference.since then I have been sorting by h.s.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    If a primer seats, the brass gets used in my 9mms.
    Me too. I do set the nickle aside though.

Boolit Bub
    Yeh. Im picky. Bought 500 from amazon 4 days ago. Came in today
    sat out in the 60°f sun here in the arctic and seperated the 9mm
    yeh. Maybe being to picky since its such a short barrel compared to a riffle

Picky is good when you set off hand held explosives close to your face.

Boolit Bub
    I guess that I'm entirely too picky as I only load win brass for my handguns. I am also lucky that I sort brass for an indoor range and can trade in all of the other stuff. The win brass just seems to be the most uniform in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    Yup!

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

I am more picky about rifle ammo, sorting into brand lots to load, but I load what I can get. I mostly reload rifle milsurp calibers and 223. The pistol rounds can be mixed for plinking

If you have unneeded brass for the Mosin, Swiss, or British 303 I would be interested in buying some. I will keep a watch on the proper threads.

I have only loaded for the 9mm so far. I throw out any brass that the calaber is not clearly marked. Would hate to send a makorov threw my lugar by carelessness. Also had 100 rounds of zq1 brass i scraped. I had bought 2 boxes cause they were cheap. Every 2 or 3 rounds would fail to eject due to swelled brass. Just didnt wont to take a chance on reloading them.
    I cast therefor I shoot. Or is it the outher way around?

Moderator Emeritus

Am I picky? Well, yes and no. Sooner or later, we all have to make concessions to the time available. When loading big lots of ammo for intense re-training, or just the pleasure of creating challenging scenarios, absolute accuracy isn't terribly important, so I just use what's available. This may be for quick, turn around on signal and shoot quickly or even instinctively type things, to long range stuff, or whatever my devious mind can cook up to challenge me and keep my mind from becoming set on any given set of parameters.

For hunting or load testing, or long range shooting, or anywhere else that requires utmost consistency and accuracy, I'll trim brass and may even weigh some of it to create some ultra consistent groups of brass for those special purposes. It just all depends on what you practically CAN do, really, and on what the needs are for the purpose you're loading for. That just seems to be the natural way to do this stuff to me.

Boolit Master
    As long as it's boxer primed my handgun brass gets loaded. I get a lot of it from an indoor range. If I have to buy brass I'll go with starline....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Sized to .357 , they leave less of a bulge.
    I can't afford to be picky....I reload anything I can scrounge.
    Gary

Banned
    I dont have a rifle that I don't sort, weigh, anneal, neck size some & check as close as possible. Pistol, unless for a match is thrown in the case feeder & make bullets fast & if it has a problem, my scrap bucket is right close.