RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Gun I Wish Ruger Made

Banned

The Gun I Wish Ruger Made

OK, Ruger is never going to bring back the Service-Six / Speed-Six line. I came to grips with that reality years ago and found a couple of used Service-Six's to placate myself, including an un-fired NIB Service-Six. However I can still dream, right?

The GP-100 and the Six series guns share a lot of design features and I like both of them. However, I've always favored the Six's over the GP-100. It's a trivial amount but I find the slight extra weight and bulk of the GP-100 to be the negative issue between the two models. I like the cylinder locking system and the non-rotating ejector rod of the GP-100. The peg style grip frame also makes sense to me, it's just that I feel the GP is a tad heavier that it needs to be.
    I know, I know...if you're shooting magnums the extra weight is a plus; I get it! I just don't shoot that many magnum rounds.

So, here's the gun I wish Ruger would add to their line up:
    A stainless GP-100 with-

• A 4.2" (.2" extra for our Canadian friends), thin contoured, half-lug barrel.
    • A GP-100 cylinder with a slightly smaller diameter forward of the locking notches.
    • A semi-permanent, flat black ramp front sight, dove-tailed into the barrel and secured by a set screw or pin.
    • A low profile, black, snag-proof rear sight dove tailed on the top strap (something similar to a Novak shape)
    • A contoured top strap that was just a bit more rounded on top.
    • A peg style grip frame that was lightened but still accepts all GP style grips.

Basically a lighter, stainless steel, GP-100 that incorporates a better set of fixed sights and mimics the size of the Service-Six's. It would retain the GP-100 lock work, cylinder locking system and peg style grip frame. GP-100 speedloaders could be used. All current GP-100 style grips could be installed. The sights would be heavy duty & fixed but capable of being regulated to a load and provide an improved sight picture in bright light. A front night sight could be added without much trouble.

Anyone have a connection at Ruger that could make this happen ?

Boolit Buddy
    have you seen the GP100 match champion ?? Sounds almost just like your description !! comes with both fixed or adjustable sights.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100M...on/models.html

Boolit Master

AND - it is FANTASTIC.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I haven't shot a Match Champion yet, but I did put a set of those grips on my 3" GP100. Nice and comfy.

Speaking of "Rugers I wish they made", there was an American Rifleman Insider email article recently where B. Gil Horman list 5 Rugers he wished they made. He brought up a GP100 in 44 special and 45 Colt. Oh - to day dream! To his list, I would add a moon clipped 10mm Auto GP100.

Petrol and Powder - I have read other post of yours lovingly discussing the old Six series. I always go back to my gun safe after reading them and lovingly wipe down my Speed Sixes, Service Sixes and Security Sixes. I sure am right with you there.

Boolit Master
    I was pretty excited when I first read about the GP100 Match Champion, but I have handled them in the store and they still are just a tad bulky to me. The 686 SSR version seems like a good option, although I know you're a big Ruger guy P&P.

Banned
    The Match Champion is getting close but it still tips the scales at 38 oz.

I haven't held one yet but it might do the trick !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    I was pretty excited when I first read about the GP100 Match Champion, but I have handled them in the store and they still are just a tad bulky to me. The 686 SSR version seems like a good option, although I know you're a big Ruger guy P&P.
    One of the best L-frames I ever had was a 4" 681. Nothing wrong with a S&W !

Banned
    I think the GP-100 cylinder is just big enough to fit five - 44 Special chambers into it. Would that be a great 44 Special DA revolver!
    Another one for the "I wish they made list".

Boolit Master
    I'll second that , and long as were dreaming, make mine a 5 inch without the underlug. I like your idea in the first post, just would prefer the 5 shot 44Special in that format. If they would actually do it a 4.2 would be just fine! Really like your idea on the sights, my six is a service fixed!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I hear you loud and clear on a easily user changeable front sight on Ruger revolvers I think a LOT of people would replace the front sight on their SBH if it were easier and options where readily available so many of us want to shoot loads that just don't work with the factory sight post.

I also wish every Ruger auto came in a pro series without the magazine disconnect , having a magazine disconnect is like saying we don't want our product used in the 4 largest pistol competitions around USPSA IDPA ISPC and steel challenge all of which you need to show clear then aim at the backstop and pull the trigger , having to put in a magazine again is just a hassle and I think it makes some RSOs nervous seeing a mag go back in the gun.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Agree with all that has been said about making the GP-100 go on a diet. I will say that I prefer the Six series grip frame. The GP really doesn't have that many options unless you want to spend close to a c-note. Also, I'm one of the weirdos that actually prefers old school checkered wood panel grips with no finger bumps or weird contours. I guess I'll just keep enjoying my 1988 Service Six!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    I actually prefer fixed sights for most revolvers but it would be nice to have front sight that could be replaced with a taller one that could be filed down to match a specific load and returned to stock configuration by easy replacement. A fixed, heavy duty rear sight that was tough but provided a better sight picture than a simple notch cut in the top strap would also be welcomed.

As for magazine disconnects, I can only say that they are predominantly a European design feature. Apparently despite all of their self proclaimed intellectual sophistication the average Europe dweller cannot tell the difference between an empty chamber and an empty magazine well. Therefore they require the intervention of a magazine disconnect to compensate for their inability to recognize a cleared chamber.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Agree with all that has been said about making the GP-100 go on a diet. I will say that I prefer the Six series grip frame. The GP really doesn't have that many options unless you want to spend close to a c-note. Also, I'm one of the weirdos that actually prefers old school checkered wood panel grips with no finger bumps or weird contours. I guess I'll just keep enjoying my 1988 Service Six!
    You're not weird or alone.

Boolit Buddy
    I would love to see Ruger make a Super Blackhawk with a 5 shot cylinder in .480R. Don't think it will happen tho.

Boolit Master
    PP I would be second in line to get one of your 44 spcls.

That match champion looks awesome, but maybe a bit overprice.

A five shot 44 spl in same format would inspire to immediately sell whatever is necessary to obtain one! Kidneys included!

Boolit Master
    If I recall correctly, .410 is the biggest that the cylinder will index to the barrel even with a 5 shot. Thus there are some 41 special and 10mm custom GP's out there.

Boolit Master
    If we are dreaming, a 5 shot Bisley Blackhawk in .480 Ruger in 4-5/8 or 5-1/2". A Vaquero in the same lengths would be cool too. Put a real front sight on it though

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    If I recall correctly, .410 is the biggest that the cylinder will index to the barrel even with a 5 shot. Thus there are some 41 special and 10mm custom GP's out there.
    I think the cylinder could be enlarged just a bit and still fit in the frame window. if you reduce the number of chambers from 6 to 5 I believe you could fit 44 chambers in the GP frame.

I don't know why a 5-shot 44 Special wouldn't work on a GP100. The S&W 696 is on the L-frame.