Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trevia Time, what is this projectile?

Trevia Time, what is this projectile?

I know this is not a cast boolit, however I need to ask the old timers on the forum I they can identify this projectile.

The only markings are "3 fut 53" and a couple misc. numbers (3 & 6) along with a cursive "H" on the side of the bottom band. Looks like a primer on the end but there are traces of blue paint in places which I hope signifies a dummy round, however, I treat it as a live one. It's tucked away safe and hard to get to at this time, so I hope it can be identified without needing more measurements.

What say ye old timers?

Sorry I spelt "trivia" wrong, caught it too late.

Last edited by slim1836; 05-30-2015 at 09:24 PM.
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Moderator Emeritus

Picture?

Boolit Master
    If the blue paint is on the projectile it is probably inert. A pic and some dimensions would help.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Depending on the age of the item DO NOT trust that blue paint indicates something *inert*.

That particular color code may NOT mean the same thing as it does now.

Dutch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (2).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	140936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (3).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	140937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (5).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	140938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (6).jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	140939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unknown shell 1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	140940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unknown shell 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	140941
    Sorry, I though I had uploaded 2 pics, at least I see 2 on my first post. Let me know if you now see 6 pics.
    I'm not literate when it comes to computers.

Slim

Boolit Master
    I see the six pics.

I have no idea what it is, but will keep an eye on this thread.

Boolit Grand Master

Early tracer??????????
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Without Diameter measurements, just going by picture,
    It's probably a 20mm projectile
    - maybe from a 20x99R cartridge.
    I wouldn't bet on it being inert either.

Last edited by Artful; 05-31-2015 at 10:43 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

I though 20 mm too but hard to tell maybe 40mm, got an out side diameter?. It is a very elaborate to be an inert projectile.
    Is it German? The "H" usually denoted German army.
    Be safe
    Last edited by leebuilder; 05-31-2015 at 11:04 AM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    Looks bigger than a 20, maybe 30mm? Just going by the ruler in the pics and the size of slim's forefinger as a comparison.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I suspect this an armor piercing projectile that has lost its ballistic cap. I also suspect it is APHE (armor piercing high explosive) with a base fuze and small explosive charge. I don't recognize the projectile other wise but it does have features of others that I'm familiar with.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know what it is, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it being inert, that is a good way to lose important body parts.

I'm leaning towards 13Echo being close about it being some sort of AP projectile that has lost its windshield, at least that is what they were called in Naval Ordnance when I went to GM A school thirty plus years ago.

Could be anything really, it is surprising what some people will pick up to bring home.

Robert

I found this in someone else's belongings and am just curious. The person who had it did 3 tours in Germany and one in Nam but is no longer above ground so I can't ask him on the history anymore.

All my "stuff" got lost when the canoe capsized long time ago.

Slim

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (5).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	140938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (6).jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	140939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unknown shell 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	140941
    Looks like a Loverin!

Boolit Master
    Fut was a Czech arms manufacturer code during WW2. Is it a 37mm shell?

fut Adamovske strojirny, Adamov

http://www.russianammo.org/Russian_A...Headstamp.html

http://translate.google.com/translat...u/&prev=search

I hope those links work....

Boolit Master
    I was thinking it may be some form of smallish mortar shell, but I'm just glad you're treating it as "live".
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    I'm reasonably certain that is a base fuze in the projectile. It has two slots for a wrench so had to have been screwed into place and it seems to have a square set of tabs to hold it in place. The only reason to have this arrangement is for a fuze for an explosive charge. Base fuze shells are usually AP with a very short delay to allow the explosion to occur after the shell has penetrated. This is a HEAT round with an intact fuze until proven otherwise.

Jerry Liles

Just keep in mind that older shells can become more sensative.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/04...cher-hand.html
    A teacher who kept a 40 mm shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of his hand when he apparently used the object to try to squash a bug, authorities say.

The 5-inch-long shell exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.

Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.

The teacher slammed the shell down in an attempt to kill something that was buzzing or crawling across the desk, said Fire Marshal Glen Albright.

Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529126
    In 1977, in Germany, I got extensive training on un-exploded ordnance. Some of the guys were out in the boonies on post, and found a "shell" (unexploded fired projectile, in this case) and brought it back to the barracks. Sat night, some drinking, table gets bumped, shell falls (THUMP) onto the floor. Noise alerts the CQ, he investigates, sees the shell, and clears the room, calls EOD.

EOD runs us all out of the barracks in the middle of the night, and takes it away. The next morning, Sunday, usually a day off, we ALL get mustered in formation, and marched to the post theater.

There we got a half day class on unexploded ordnance, and what NOT to do if we found any. It was one of the better instruction sessions the Army ever gave me, both in content and presentation. There was a large display stand of ordnance, and the instructor would pick them up and tell us about them. At several points during the class, when he picked up something, it "exploded" (simulator under the display stand). Let me tell you, if you were dozing off, it REALLY woke you up.

Besides it being a field grade court martial offense to pick this stuff up, the most important thing was that the only thing you could tell about a "dud" was that it didn't go off when it was expected to. NOTHING else.

They told us the story about a private who was picking up the golden eggs on a grenade range (40mm grenade projectiles). All duds, meaning they were safe, right? Supposedly had one in each pants pocket, one in each shirt pocket, and one in each hand, when he bumped his hand against his pocket, and (at least) one of them went off. Letter to the family, GI insurance, and a closed casket.

They told us the story about a LAW range at FT Hood, used for years, shooting LAW rockets at old tanks and halftracks. Lots of duds in the field. They set fire to the field to clean it up. Many explosions. The remainder must be dead, right? Sent guys out to pick them up. Had the burnt, dud rockets piled up like cordwood. One guy tosses another one on the pile, and it (or several) explodes. At least one fatality from that one.

The told us about how warheads with piezoelectric crystals in their fuzes could get really unstable, and had, after lying in the open, for years, gone off from the change in temp of someone's shadow falling across it. They told us a lot of other stuff too.

The warhead the guys in my barracks found, which did not go off when it fell off the table (directly above, one room to the left of mine) was a WWII German 10.5cm WP (white phosphorus) round, and that afternoon, we were taken to the range where the EOD detonated it. Very impressive. Had it gone off in the barracks (which were two story concrete construction) it would have destroyed one wing completely, and set fire to the rest!

NO warhead is safe, until and unless a real expert (and not an armchair expert like me) certifies it is. DON"T TAKE CHANCES!
    And some other stories to take note of on that thread!
    Last edited by Artful; 06-01-2015 at 11:18 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Cautionary notes well taken and passed on.

Slim