Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: age of boolet caster's

Boolit Mold
    28, and cast about 10k a year. My 24 year old girlfriend shoots tons of them too. If only I could get her to size/lube at the same rate she uses my ammo. Most casters at my club are also mostly retired and older, but I think it helps bridge the age gap and always gives us something to talk about on the line, a gun show, or breakfast before an IPSC or Steel match. Casters have been around for hundreds of years and I think we will around in a few hundred more. On a side note, when my peer group gets wind of the fact that I am loading .40 ammo for $1.70 a box, I think they will start casting too. For now, I am keeping it a secret so they keep leaving the lead in the berm for me, all the while talking about how spendy even cast bullets have gotten in local stores.

Boolit Master

54 Been shootin' since i was six, casting about 15yrs (I think).Hunting my whole life too, altho I'm not quite as mad at 'em as I used to be! T-Bird

Boolit Master

45, Grew up around guns but took a 30 year break. Bought my first handgun last fall. Just getting into casting, have yet to cast my first first boolit. My teenage kids (son 18 & daughter 16) love my 1911 .45

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    Three score and ten, my Wife, (at 68, she still reloads all her ammo) and all our kids and grandkids are shooters, one son-in-law is an avid boolit caster.

We had my two grandnephews over for spring break, they are both conservative and shooters. After spewing mucho lead boolits across the desert for a few days, they are now both going to get into reloading, and cast boolit casting big time. the economics impressed them, but the accuracy wowed them even more.

Boolit Master
    62. Started reloading in '70 (39 years out), discovered casting in '73 (36 years worth). Retired? Not a chance. My day job just took a pay and benefits hit, had to pick up a part-time second job to recover that loss. Gotta cover the costs of components somehow....

Thin Man

Boolit Grand Master
    Younger 50's. Shooting since mid teens. Reloading since early 20's casting since later mid 40's

Shiloh
    Last edited by Shiloh; 04-20-2009 at 03:05 PM.
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub

Ageless

I answered this a year ago, I just turned 59 a couple of weeks ago. Last year at this time I was just getting started in casting. Been shooting & reloading forever, but this is something I wish I would have started years ago. Casting is great fun, not to mention the savings when you reload your ammo. Satisfaction, it also proves you're never too old to learn. This site is a great place to get an education, the guys here are a wealth of knowledge. I learn something new every day here. As I get close to retirement, casting has opened up more adventures. Everybody needs hobbies to stay sharp & active, casting is one of many for me. NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Turned 62 on April 15th, now why does that day seem to have another meaning for me? I just can't seem to recall, getting old you know. Been casting and reloading since 1971 when the owner of the gun store I worked for took me under his wing.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

This thread somehow got by me last time around. Glad someone bumped it. I'm 52 and have been hunting since I was about 9 or 10. Started watching and helping my dad reload shotshells since about 71. Got out of reloading till about 15 years ago. Been casting for about 3 years, mostly since discovering this forum.

jar

Boolit Buddy
    26 here...
    been into shooting since the day i was handed my first 1022
    scratch that, from the day i was given my first wrist rocket(sling shot). i was surgical accurate with that thing, still am actually...
    sling shot > BBgun > 22 rimfire > AR-15/FAL/1919/MG42/M2HB.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    21 been reloading since middle school and casting since I got my first revolver when I turned 16.
    whew... i was reading page after page and everyone was doubling my age just about...
    at least im not the youngest on these forums

48, shooter for 20 years but just into casting. I have a 7 and a 4 y.o., both of whom can't wait to go shooting...and neither of whom will, until they learn to listen to me IMMEDIATELY - that's a safety issue - but they WILL be shooting lots earlier in life than I ever did.

38 and have been shooting since my grandfather gave me my first rifle when I was 15, a Mossberg 144. He taught my Dad and he also taught me. The Scout troop that I was in was also big into shooting. I don't think they do that anymore. I think the expense of buying firearms and ammo and reloading equipment keeps a lot of younger people out of the sport. While older people have more disposable income than someone who's 24 or 25 married, has kids, trying to pay off the students loans, house payment, car loans, etc..

57 years of age!! Two sons -- neither has any interest; BUT, the grandson is coming along fine!!

Boolit Bub
    58 last friday, been casting since 1980 when primers were $6.50 / 1000, found an old receipt from Midsouth a couple of weeks ago. 3 daughters none are interested, but wife enjoys shooting. That's all that counts

25 right now. will be 26 in july. been shooting since my dad started takeing us ( me and my brother ) out. If I remember right we were around 6. didnt start reloading til I got my first revolver when I was 14-15. then started into shooting shotguns in the 4h so I started reloading for 12 20 and 410. rifles came last. I was about 16. I started casting the beginning of this year.

oh yeah... married, son just turned 2 and another one (boy?girl) due in oct. glad I had all my reloading stuff and lots of guns before marrage and kids tied me down. but I wouldnt change a thing Jamie already wants to go hunting. and the wife is a pretty good shot on the trap field that is when she is not preg.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Also 58 going on 59. Retired and been casting only a few months now. Love it. Should have started sooner when wheel weights were more plentiful. Better accruacy since I started casting.

Boolit Master
    Happy birthday Sky King.
    I'll be 59 in August. Been shooting since I could lift a gun and Dad would let me. Reloading since I got out on my own and casting off and on most of that time. We are losing our young people as far as the shooting sports go. My wife and only daughter like to shoot but wouldn't if it weren't for me. None of my nieces or nephews shoot. Sad.

I'm 42, with a son age 12 who likes shooting and a daughter 15 who is a good shot, but usually passes on the invites to the range. She likes to shoot, but loves animals, too. My father introduced me to hunting and I've been hunting since I was 12. My son began deer hunting this last fall. Passing on the traditions. My wife is uncomfortable around guns. I am working on getting her to take the state hunter safety class, since they teach how to handle all types of firearms safely. I think if she can get the basics down (hates to take direction from me...) she would enjoy shooting.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    44 years old, and I have been casting and reloading over 30 years of that.
    Both ends WHAT a player