RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: copper heads are out!

I am involved in a program to improve the gene pool of snakes. The ones that are smart enough to stay out of my sight get to live and reproduce.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Mold
    Where nuisance animals are protected by dumb laws. the old yankee custom of SSS comes into play. Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up! Talking about it will eventually cause you trouble.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Where nuisance animals are protected by dumb laws. the old yankee custom of SSS comes into play. Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up! Talking about it will eventually cause you trouble.
    Yes that will work in most cases but here in Az. the gray wolves all have tracking devices and the devise can be tracked to the last position that it quit working. I know that that could be sircumvented, but I,m not sure it would be worth the chance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    Snake bite is WAY down the list of causes of death. More likely to be killed by a family member, die from a fall, from a bee/wasp sting or most anything else I can think of. People exaggerate the risk to enhance their reputation as he men, The number of people killed in this country by large animals, other than humans, is not enough to bother counting.

That may very well be true unless you are the one that dies.............Terry
    Last edited by TCFAN; 06-13-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    Give those wolves a couple years and like the presently huge over population here in Idaho they will have large packs, most of which will not have the collars.

The number of wolves here, reliable sources saying it is not the same strain once found here, but rather a larger and more aggressive version, have far, FAR, exceeded the desired - by the greenies - number, to the point where now efforts have been needed to thin the numbers.

Just on the news here last night was then report that a guy North of my home, just received a big slap in the hands for killing a wolf. He said it was self defense and he thought he was shooting at an oty. His stupid mistake was taking the hide, taking it to a taxidermists, AND THEN going to buy a wolf tag.

STUPIDITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

The adult wolves here are huge, I mean really huge, but this guy should have simply shot and never even approached the critter, just turn and go the other way.

Be smart and tight lipped and get er done!

Same happens if a poisonous snake happens into my path.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master

I own 2 properties and both are mowed by a friend. He came back to get paid this evening, as white as a ghost.
    He says there's a 4'+ black snake that siid under the door to the other basement. Next time i go over, there will be snake shot in my 45LC. I can abide them as long as they respect my dwelling, but that basement is mine alone.
    Quite a few years ago I was given the timbers from a highway bridge. While loading them we encountered the biggest snake I had ever seen. Between the cement head wall and the huge timber that sat on its ledge was a crack about 5 " wide, and it was plum full of black snake. When we finally persuaded it to leave it looked like a ribbon sliding off the ledge into the creek. Realistically it looked to be over 9' long and 4-5" thick. Needless to say, asphalt wasn't the only stain on my pants.
    If those snake lovers will give an address, I'll send them some.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Banned
    Originally Posted by BAGTIC
    Snake bite is WAY down the list of causes of death. More likely to be killed by a family member, die from a fall, from a bee/wasp sting or most anything else I can think of. People exaggerate the risk to enhance their reputation as he men, The number of people killed in this country by large animals, other than humans, is not enough to bother counting.

That may very well be true unless you are the one that dies.............Terry
    ----------------------

Big DITTO, just ask my friend Mike who got bit helping me work on my bushhog thurs.

Luckily he didn't get it bad & only had one fang go in his hand. He got very sick & hand got swollen but the hospital just gave him anti biotics, tetnus & some pain meds. They said he was fortunate & didn't get a lot of venom.

If they don't wear a sign saying, "I'm friendly", kill them all, kill them now!

Boolit Master

I might be able to read that "I'm friendly" sign if my wife was not trying to climb up on my shoulders while screaming "shoot it, shoot it!".
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Saw on the local news that 40 plus snake bites had been recorded in my home state this year. The last one was a copperhead. Put the girl in the hospital for several days.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Bet her medical bill could have bought a new Roles Royce.

Since all wildlife is considered property of the State shouldn't they have to pay the bill for what THEIR critters do?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    Sloppy reasoning. This is the same thought process that leads some to conclude that as some people get killed by some guns the solution is to eliminate all guns. Also known as 'The only good Indian is a dead Indian Syndrome'.

Personally, the first thing I consider when I hear of someone being killed by a snake or a gun is did their demise leave the world a better or a worse place.

Banned

Rattlesnake bite, = $100,000 plus in medical bills.

Bump, for this thread. I know someone has another story.

Banned
    OK, wife killed a giant "6" incher yesterday. After chopping it up into even smaller pieces with a shovel, told me to get rid of it in the woods. Told her I would if I can find enough of it.

Another one just outside the basement door. Kill them all, kill them NOW!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    OK, wife killed a giant "6" incher yesterday. After chopping it up into even smaller pieces with a shovel, told me to get rid of it in the woods. Told her I would if I can find enough of it.

Another one just outside the basement door. Kill them all, kill them NOW!

I didn't see a thing...

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Boolit Grand Master

My brother and I used to hunt E TX in what was known as Type II hunting areas. They often had primitive camping areas that we generally availed ourselves to. At the conclusion of one particular hunt weekend I was "watering" a bush at the edge of camp before we hit the road home. My tinnitus prevents me from hearing rattlesnakes but I happened to look down and saw a very small rattlesnake and he didn't appear to be enjoying his "shower". I called my brother over, told him to bring a shovel. He was a bit shocked as we'd been walking within a few feet of that bush all weekend. Other thing that bugged me was that since he was so small there were likely dozens of his siblings a short distance away.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

growing up I hunted and fished along the American River in Northern CA. Lots of diamond backs there...my hunting buddies and I would go out hunting them, and some were really big, like 4 to 6 ft. Used the skins for hat bands and cooked the meat. One time I took my girl-friend, (now wife) up to a small fishing lake in the foothills of Placer county. It was summer and we wanted to swim in the lake...girl-friend is a "city" girl so swimming in a lake was not her style. But she was a good sport and was enjoying herself wading out about waist deep...until..yup...a big diamond back swam right by her !
    Where I fish in the Okanogan (WA state) there are plenty of rattlers hiding under the bushes around the fishing lakes. There isn't a year goes by I don't shoot at least one.
    Never been bit by one,,,knock on wood, came close a couple of times picking wild blackberries, they would hide under those bushes.
    One of the closest calls I ever had was working construction in the central CA coast. The little dark skinned rattlers would hid in the piles of construction material to escape the summer heat. So every morning we would have to carefully check the piles of lumber as we un-stacked.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Having lived a portion of my 72 years in rattler country, I have been lucky enough to see few.

But this tale comes from when I was a little tyke in Klamath Falls, Oregon.

Mom and I were out with some friends picking wild plums which grew on a waist high +/- bush rather then a tree.

As the picking was progressing, I was doing my tyke thing somewhere close to mom when she suddenly gapped me and took off for new country.

The fellow that was with us saw mom's actions and ask what was going on.

Mom had apparently not seen the big rattler, and I don't know if she might have heard something or not, but she somehow sensed that something was wrong.

The guy threw a stick into the wild plum bush and out crawled a good sized rattler which the fellow made into a good snake in short order.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    Recently found a 2' long prairie rattler on my porch under a plant stand, and within easy striking distance of anyone walking up or from the house. It never made a peep. It slithered off to snake heaven shortly after. Snake is a very interesting material to use for string trimmer line too! Its crazy, you just weed wack along and if you find some, it just feeds itself right onto the trimmer head! Doesn't last long and it makes'er go way out of balance for few seconds!

We get a fair bit of friendly meat tubes here too. I let them be most the time, keeps the rodents down and out of my shed/cars. Any identified as venomous near my dwelling aren't venomous to anyone shortly after. My most proud snake moment was tagging a cottonmouth swimming the pond with the Henry .22 and it forgot how to swim all of a sudden!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Banned
    OK I'm really tired of this karp! Killed one on the front porch, less than a foot from the door.

That's why I always go out with my killin light & look all over before I let the dogs out at night.

This little battard (18") was laying along the edge of the porch & the brick wall & was hard to see & I walked right past it going out & stood on the porch looking around for one. I was just stepping off the porch & caught a little movement out of the corner of my eye. Talk about pd off, missing seeing it.

Well, the 44 shot shell works great but it's a little harder when your prey is hiding behind some cast iron ornaments & your hiding behind the door & sticking your off hand around it & not being able to see your sites cause you don't want to get blinded by shot bouncing off the cast iron, brick wall or cement porch.

Managed to kill some of the door frame along with the CH. Oh well, a little putty & paint.

KILL THE ALL, KILL THEM NOW!

Ups, forgot to say, had to go past him again to go back in the house to get my gun with snake shot. Like a dumaz I was complacent & just went out without it.