Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Has Anyone Found a Velocity Limit for Shake and Bake HF Red

Boolit Buddy

Has Anyone Found a Velocity Limit for Shake and Bake HF Red

I just made my first 25 bullets destined for use in midrange loads for a SRH .454 Casull. I hammered one of my new bullets Hard with a 3 lb hammer and the coating is still completely intact. I have to say I was surprised because the bullet height decreased by half and the diameter is almost doubled (estimate). The coating contracted in the shortening and expanded in the circumference. I am not sure how that can be, but, seeing is believing.

Has anyone found a limit to the speed which this coating will tolerate without leading? Surely their must be one. I admit that I LOVE the cherry red color of my HF Red bullets, but, I am really just looking to do away with lubing.

Any experience with velocities would be appreciated.

thanks rch

ESPC W308 ~2500 fps from a carbine. Depends more on your alloy than the coating. IIRC leadman pushed above 3K in 223 but didn't have any accuracy. Don't think you'll get that SRH up there.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

I used Hi-Tek coating. Got over 3,600 fps in my 23" Contender 223 Rem. Accuracy stayed around the 2" mark at 100 yards, but this is much larger than the 1/2" groups it shoots with generic 55gr SP jacketed bullets.

And as popper wrote, the alloy hardness will make a big difference. I was shooting heat treated linotype that measured 32 BHN.

Boolit Buddy

I tried 2300 FPS in 223, very poor accuracy. My alloy was straight wheel weights.
    Slowed to 1600, shot in sabots out of my 300 blackout bolt rifle, worked well.

Boolit Buddy
    So 1250 should not be a big issue. My alloy is about a lyman 2. Placed on a granite boulder and hit 2 good strokes with a 3 pound hammer does not shatter it. Reduces the height by 1/2 and increases the diameter to about .65 inches. This is from .452". It is doing what I want it to do. Now to see if I can hit anything.

I am going to do the same coating on my .460 420 gr ranch dogs for my 45-70. I use the same alloy at about 1750. Really breaks a hog down at 75 yards. I also shoot 38-55 and 30-30 with nothing but cast's. Again, velocity is never too high because I don't need it.

There is something about Cherry Red 45 cal flat tips that is just plain funny. I love it. I will post something again after I go shoot these.

Thanks to all who answered.

rch
    Last edited by rhouser; 05-07-2015 at 07:12 AM.

At that fps you could probably cut the #2 50/50 fine. I've pushed plain base 140 gr 30 cal 3% Sb over 1800 with the red, did OK. Psi times bore area is the force to get fps so bigger bore can use weaker alloy.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Popper, you are probably right. I like this toughness for terminal side. thanks rch

You want tough terminal performance for pigs, try this. 165 gr 40SW TC, white HF, 3% Sb/~0.5% Cu, 0% Sn, close to 1K fps into frozen paving chat from <10 ft. Don't remember the exact number but close to 90% weight retention. ~1% tin may help if you want mushroom noses.
    Attachment 138888
    Whatever!

I regularly push it 2000fps with moa accuracy in 30-30.

Boolit Master

You will defeat the lead alloy before you defeat the powder coating.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Buddy
    This is just plain AWESOME. Taking my first PC'd bullets out for a test shoot today. We shall see. thanks to all who have helped my with this. rch

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by douglasskid View Post
    I tried 2300 FPS in 223, very poor accuracy. My alloy was straight wheel weights.

Not a jab but using PC in a sabot is kinda a moot point as it is not touching the rifling. But kudos to you for innovation, A+
    How was the accuracy?
    stay frosty

Quote Originally Posted by douglasskid View Post

Interesting, what type of sabot?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker