WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: .32/20, time is drawing near

.32/20, time is drawing near

I expect the re-lined Whitney rolling block rifle back sometime in the near future.
    I would like to get started with the loads to be used in it. 26" barrel.
    What I am looking for is advice and suggestions on what bullets have worked well in the past
    with what propellants. I'd rather learn from the experience of those that
    have gone before me. Do you have a pet load or bullet that just flat works for you?
    Currently, as a start, I have a few sample bullets from Missouri Bullet company,
    their 120 grain RNFP sized .313. Using propellants I have on hand, ( FFFg BP, Unique smokeless,
    777 BP replacement & Trail Boss smokeless.)
    These will be gone very quickly. Are there suppliers that offer sample quantities of cast bullets of
    various different design?
    I intend to buy a mold & other stuff to cast my own, but I'd rather not wind up with a
    stack of molds that don't work well while I search for the one good one.
    Your opinions? Please.
    NRA Smallbore Prone Master
    Trigger control, breath control & sight picture = Gun Control

Boolit Master

My .32-20 is a reproduction (Uberti) Low-Wall with the 30" barrel. Best results have been with the Lyman 311008 cast from (2) parts range scrap to (1) part COWWs and sized to .312 (my groove dia. is .310). Boolits drop at .3135 from my mould and finish (sized and lubed) at 117 gr. (+/- .5 gr). Best smokeless powders, so far, have been AA5744 and AA#5...AA5744 produces more consistent groups but is a PITA to meter while AA#5 runs through my Lee Auto-Disc like the sand in an hour glass but groups aren't quite as tight. The 311008 seems to be pretty much the 'standard' for the .32-20 and, cast from 30/1 (or similar), should shoot quite well with BP or one of the BP subsititutes.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I shoot an old Winchester 92 32-20 & find that both AA#5 & Unique work very well. I shoot off hand plinking at clay targets & steel, I haven't benched the rifle with AA#5, just Unique. The Unique would hold about a 1.5 group at 25 yds, the AA#5 from just shooting seems to be pretty close!

Boolit Master

I use a 115 grain cast boolit and 3.5 grains of Red Dot.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master

I have a 310 greener martini that was rechambered to 32 20. I shoot the rcbs 310-120 heeled bullet in it over unique.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I use the .32-20 in a Marlin 94, Winchester 92, Colt Army Special and Uberti/Cimarron SAA. The only quirks I have found is that the brass must be trimmed a good bit shorter than SAMI spec to chamber in the 1914 Colt and the Uberti.

My load is this bullet cast about 16:1 http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-105C-D.png pan lubricated with a bees wax/neats foot oil/lanolin mix.
    It drops at .3145 and is fired as cast in the two rifles and sized to 311 for the hand guns.

9 grains of 2400 for the rifles for 1650 fps and 8 grains for the revolvers for 1250; both loads using small rifle primers. Some references show charges upwards of 11 grains of 2400 but such charges are very destructive of brass and would be bad news in the revolver. Using a 9 grain load, I have yet to wear a cartridge case out though I crinkle a few each reloading cycle. I am scrupulous in segregating the rifle from the revolver ammo. The heavier load won't destroy either revolver but it is pretty hard on them and accuracy is poor. If there ever is a question about ammo, it goes in the rifle.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    It is lighter than the usual 32-20 boolit, but the RCBS 98 gr. SWC with 5.0 grs. of Unique shoots right at 1/2" at 50 yds. for 5 shot groups. Many other powders do the same, indicating it is the boolit rather than the load my gun likes. Velocity in a 24" barrel is right about 1,500 fps.

For a nice mild load 4.2gr of Green Dot in my .32-20 produces 1040fps under a 314008 cast in 40-1 alloy; nominal 120gr.
    If you want to try the black powder I highly recommend a kicker of smokeless for a super clean burn. My .310 Cadet LOVES 3.7gr of H4227 under a compressed 14gr charge of Swiss 3Fg. Burns so clean the bore is shiny after firing but still the BOOM and smoke. Amazing.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Mold
    I have a few 32-30's. From a '92 Win to a couple of single shot rifles I barreled. None like the same load. It sounds like you have enough variety of powder to get started with to get her honed in. I don't know what accuracy you are expecting - I can tell you that the caliber is accurate it just takes a bit of trying different bullets and powders.

Whitney rolling block? What cartridge was it originally chambered for? If it wasn't designed for something as powerful as a smokeless loaded 32-20, I would tend to stick to black powder loads to prevent wearing it out prematurely. I've been through all that with a Remington #4. Chambered it for 32 long, shot it for years with black, then tried some very mild smokeless loads in it (Trailboss) and shot it loose in just a few rounds. Now I have to rebuild it again....

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Some new chamberings in .32/20 (CPA) have barrels with faster twist that allow you to use the long pointed bullets for 200 yard shooting, otherwise you need to use short flat points. Saeco make a very nice FP pb bullet for that cal.

NoBade;
    It was originally chambered in .38 CFC (Center Fire Cartridge) an obsolete round.
    I'm still waiting, - - - - - - any day now.

Boolit Master

Velocette,

My initial experiences with the .32-20 (which isn't exactly a .32-20 - see pages 5-8 of "More Cadet Talk") seem to indicate that this isn't a hard round to get good results from. I'm running a custom .3205" 130 grain LBT flat nose mold to deal with the phenomenon caused by a .32-20 reamer being run in a .3185" Martini bore; I'm flaring out the necks to get the fat puppies to seat in the virgin brass; until they get fire formed, the middle of the neck is skinnier than the front or the back of it; and the powder charge is a more-or-less randomly chosen 5 grains of Unique. All that weirdness and the fire formers act for all the world like a 1.5 - MOA load (will know more when I get the upgraded sights zeroed).

For propellants, I think any of the slow-burning pistol powders useful for the .357, 10mm, .41, and .44 handgun rounds would be right at home in a .32-20 rifle. Herco, Blue Dot, 296, and 2400 come immediately to mind. Triple 7 also would not be a bad call - been having good luck with it in a .38LC Ballard.

Molds. . .I am becoming a drooling zombie follower of LBT. Yes, Veral's molds are a bit pricey, but the process consists of (1.) send him a pound-casting of your chamber along with the brass case used to make it (2.) tell him what shape you want, how you plan to use it, and what metal you plan to cast it out of; (3.) load it and proceed to shoot really tight groups. You spend more, but you only have to spend the money and (more importantly) the time once. I don't even tell him the weight for a bottlenecked case - only the twist rate if stability is likely to be an issue -and just let him come up with something that fills the space between the base of the neck and the start of the lands.

Here's what I ended up with:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150317_194118.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	139080 The meplat is about .25". For my mission of corrupting small boys to the shooting sports with reactive targets, this is perfect, but you might want something slightly pointier if you plan to reach out past 150-200Y. Veral's advice was to lube the bottom groove only for low velocity and both for cranking it up. Thus far, I've been lubing both grooves and it seems to work. The result on water is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150320_125702.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	139082 Bullet on left is water-dropped wheelweight after going through nine gallon jugs. Bullet on the right is 20-1 lead/tin after three. The little guy is no joke! I know I'm still good for deer if I get to a point I can't carry the nine pound .30-06 anymore.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Bigslug, another good writing man. Would love to try that Boolet in mine. Let me ask. How do you load your 777 and which grade do you use? Like, a full case as BP or....

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master

The Triple 7 in 2 and 3 F is my old man's fuel of choice for a number of his toys. It's not a straight replacement for black, but there's no real mystery to loading it: https://www.hodgdon.com/loading.html
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

The Triple 7 is next up I think in my Cadet. Went to their site and the wy I read it, Full case with just a little Boolit compression. I also want to try some Trail Boss in it since I have some now. Still have not installed a good front sight on that gun. Gotta. Gotta.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Mold
    Recent made Marlin in 32/20 is a fun gun if one can be found.

Hoo Boy! The learning curve she is steep.
    Finally received the Leatherwood Malcolm scope & mounts. Fitted it all together & boresighted to be close.
    Filled up a handful of cases with 777 & some 120 gr Missouri Bullet co. lead bullets additionally treated with Lee
    Liquid Alox.
    First time ever using an externally adjusted scope. As I said, the learning curve is steep. Finally realized that the
    Iron sight rule of move the rear sight in the direction you want the group to move applies to externally adjusted scopes.
    (Duh) Worked it around till my rounds were in the 10 ring and then (of course) ran out of reloads.
    Interesting find when I cleaned the rifle, the cleanup of 777 is very easy, not at all like the cleanup of black powder.
    Bottom line, It appears that this rifle wants to shoot and shoot well. I got three two round groups of less than 1" at 50 yards
    before moving the scope again. My cast bullet shooting friends, (that got me into this) are watching as I swallow the hook deeper
    and deeper with knowing grins on their faces.