RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know about small electric motor repair (sewing machine/Serger)

Anyone know about small electric motor repair (sewing machine/Serger)

Wife's 905 Husky/Viking quit and the shop says no replacement motor available - I'm thinking maybe simple like brushes but before I touch it I would like to know if I'm out in left field.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know that specific machine, but a quick look at the motor should show
    if it is a DC brush type. Look for identical opposed threaded caps on one end, usually
    plastic with a screwdriver slot.
    If so, brushes are the #1 suspect. Should be able to find something close and then
    modify to fit if you are handy. Carbon brushes are easily filed down to size to
    fit. Dealer may have a brush set, even if whole motors are not available. Bearings
    are the next candidate. Cleaning up and polishing the commutator if you replace
    brushes should be done, too. These little motors are not too complex. Usually
    bushings or occasionally ball bearing assys at ends. Ball brg assys are std items,
    can be bought once you have the size. Bushings often are just dry and need
    cleaning and lubing.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

There is a sewing machine shop out of Toledo Ohio, I forgot name but that's who might be able to fix or get you parts. Not hard to find them on them on th net. Owner will go out of his way to help you figure it out, trouble shoot etc.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    The Amish, harness makers etc., take regular sewing machines and replace the electric motors with air motors to make them comply with their religious beliefs. (they compress the air with diesel compressors; no electric motors or gasoline engines?)
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Don't know that specific machine, but a quick look at the motor should show if it is a DC brush type. Look for identical opposed threaded caps on one end, usually plastic with a screwdriver slot.
    If so, brushes are the #1 suspect. Should be able to find something close and then
    fit. Dealer may have a brush set, even if whole motors are not available. Bearings
    bushings or occasionally ball bearing assys at ends. Ball brg assys are std items,
    cleaning and lubing.

Bill
    pic of part doesn't look like externally replaceable bushing caps
    http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/mot...411000092.aspx

Dhammer does this sound like the place?
    Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines

3631 Marine Rd,
    Toledo, OH 43609
    (419) 380-8540 - Bob is the main guy to talk too it seems...
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    The Amish, harness makers etc., take regular sewing machines and replace the electric motors with air motors to make them comply with their religious beliefs. (they compress the air with diesel compressors; no electric motors or gasoline engines?)
    being the foot control is electronic I'd rather not get that deep into it
    je suis charlie

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Don't know that specific machine, but a quick look at the motor should show
    if it is a DC brush type. Look for identical opposed threaded caps on one end, usually
    plastic with a screwdriver slot.
    cleaning and lubing.

Bill
    If you have a brush motor.. the brushes need to be seated...not with a dang file...oi !. Cleaning/dressing the commutator on such is not a simple task for those that have not been versed in such. If your stator is a permanent magnet...well some more variables of failure.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

My wife has the viking model # I forget. got all the parts we needed on ebay.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Buddy

Yup, that's him. He's a wealth of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post

Dhammer does this sound like the place?
    Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines

3631 Marine Rd,
    Toledo, OH 43609
    (419) 380-8540 - Bob is the main guy to talk too it seems...
    It looks like if you remove those long bolts running the length of the motor, the case will separate at that seam in the middle?

If it were mine, I'd exhaust all options on getting the proper replacement, but then if there was none, I'd certainly attempt to bubba something up before abandoning the machine altogether.

Yeah, I didn't want to tear into it without knowing if there was a better choice first. I tend to agree with Bill it's probably bushings or bearings, and as the wife said it was running slow before it just quit on her I think that's the best guess.

Not impressed with VIKING - HUSQVARNA service center - only thing scott did was unplug the existing foot pedal and plug his in and when unresponsive - declared the motor dead and that part was no longer available. Seems like more of a "we will be happy to sell you a new machine" shop to me.
    je suis charlie

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    If you go back to that website and just search for motors, you will find several that externally resemble yours ... some with surprising prices.
    http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/mot...ome-m1025.aspx
    http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/mot...660623009.aspx
    http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/mot...g-machine.aspx

One that fits several brands of machine ...

and this expensive one from Viking ...

I only browsed through 5 pages of their motors ...

Then, turning to eBay ...

Viking brushes
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Brush-...item414d5b9e23

And, a couple of 'universal fit' motors.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alphasew-Sew...item4adb9e3c60

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alphasew-Sew...item4adf454f7c

Same motor, different brackets. With the bracket removed, the shape looks about right.
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 05-03-2015 at 01:18 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Thanks montana_charlie
    I'll have to do a little more research but that my be the best solution
    je suis charlie

Moderator Emeritus

It is a 120 volt AC brushless motor... and the original is unobtainium I found the part number and searched on it. I would disassemble it and clean the bearings, they collect lint and stuff and get sticky. Might get some life back out of it.

MaryB - where did you find specifications for it?
    je suis charlie

Moderator Emeritus

Parts list and the pictures(told me not brushed, no brush caps) http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.eXY&cad=rja

Boolit Buddy
    I will look in our parts bin at work. May have something. I know we tossed out a few of these over the years. May have kept a motor.

If you try a universal type motor, make sure you find one with the correct shaft size for the motor pulley.

It's been awhile since I have had one apart, but check the front cover to make sure it is closed all the way. I seem to remember a safety switch that has to be pressed when the door is closed. Not positive, but something to check.

Took a look at the parts list. This switch must be activated by the front cover being fully closed: 2141008-180 Front cover switch ***'y.

The control board my also be faulty.
    Last edited by VintageRifle; 05-03-2015 at 09:54 PM.

OK, with support from the group - I've partially disassembled the 905 viking serger and found it has a motor made by YDK Model YM-63A 110/125V AC 50/60Hz 1.0A TW
    also on second line has CM E 50190 LR 43045

Shaft is 5/32 inch or just under 4mm or 0.1565"
    - by length sticking out of the motor housing of 19.9mm or 0.7830" or 25/32nd's but only the part where the pulley rides is 4mm from the motor it come out a larger size with a cross pin to engage the pulley.

And it does have brushes (two) - rectangular 0.1720 x 0.1550
    which has .4295 in length left - almost willing to bet were 1/2 inch originally - shaft doesn't appear to have any wobble against the axis and end shake isn't to bad and manually turns smooth by finger pressure so think it's the brushes.
    Last edited by Artful; 05-03-2015 at 10:01 PM.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post

They wouldn't have to use an engine to compress air, a hand or foot pump or one of those old style hard hat diving outfits that run a compressor by turning a large wheel would provide plenty of air pressure.
    A guy in Scandinavia built a compressed air powered car that he recharges each night by simply leaving air tanks partly full of water out side over night. When the water freezes the ice expands compressing the retaining air in the tanks. I suspect he uses banks of tanks to get maximum pressure. The car is only used to drive to his mail box and back, perhaps a mile or so from house to the road.
    At his farm its normally warm enough to melt the ice during the day and well below freezing at night for several months of the year.

Hand pumps used for precharged pneumatic rifles can provide several thousand PSI.

VintageRifle, checked switch by pulling wire off controller board - put a meter on it, with cover open no pass thru with cover closed it does pass current so that seems to be OK.
    And thanks for your help

But how to check circuit board?

I'll reassemble the motor and pass some current to see if it spins up.
    je suis charlie