WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Want opinions on power case trimmers

Boolit Master
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here; but is not the Giraud trimmer set up / designed to trim bottleneck type cases only?. I have a Giraud (& LOVE it) & the case holders are adjusted to headspace off the shoulder of the case to set your trim length. I do not see case holders for straightwall cases on Girauds' website??

Just a thought if USMC87 was looking to trim straightwalls...................
    Bob

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not seeing where he posted the cartridge that he wanted to trim, but the Giraud does index off of the case shoulder. I see 30 Carbine listed on the Giraud site, but I'm not sure how that works? I'm sure happy with mine. When I start loading Prairie Dog ammo, it sure makes quick work of a big tub of brass.

Moderator Emeritus

Little Crow Gunworks Worlds Finest Trimmer http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/trimmers.html Works off the shoulder, finger held case so fast to use. Leaves a smooth square cut(would be a second step if you want it chamfered, been debating a specially made cutter head).

WFT for me for volume rifle stuff...... Cheap, efficient, repeatable and accurate. Can't ask for much more in my book. (BTW - Can't afford a Giraud, so can't compare!)
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy

Love the mill set up. I had seen one for a full size mill before, but haven't been able to find any info since. I've got an M head mill, I'd love to set up like one shown on page 1.

Boolit Master

I have been using an RCBS with a drill hooked to it and it wears me out, I'm looking to find something better for bottleneck and straight wall cases. I appreciate all the info so far.

Boolit Buddy
    Just picked up a WFT2 with .223 and .30-06 adaptors, after having a slam fire in an AR-15 at the CMP Oklahoma games. Had to pickup a new drill with 1/2 inch chuck as as well. Have done approx 1k 5.56/.223 in the last week, with another 1500 or so LC cases ready to go. More tedious to hand chamfer the mouths than it is to trim the cases.

Getting my knee replaced tomorrow, so will spend the downtime doing the remaining LC cases, then swaging the primer pockets. Should be able to get a couple thousand loaded for practice and matches later this summer and fall.

Boolit Master

Goryshaw,

Best wishes with the surgery. My brother had both done at once. He used a walker for a day, crutches for two days and was walking after that without props. Walking; not dancing. Prayers going your way.

--and welcome to CastBoolits!

Wish the WFT2 had been available when I got mine. It's trimmed at least 3000 so far without a hitch. The Lyman case prep station with Hornady primer pocket cutters really helps on volume processing. The Hornady cutters are tool steel and SHARP.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I use a 5-c collet fixture with emergency collets cut to fit the cases. It works like a forster (I have one of those,too) but the cam works a little faster. I set it up in the milling machine and can hold .001 easily. I could also set it up on the drill press, but using the mill is faster for me. For a cutter, I use a counterbore with interchangable pilots. When I need a differtent size pilot, I turn one down to fit what I'm working on. Quicker than ordering one as shipping time is about six steps from lathe to mill.

Boolit Master
    I ise a wft. My 223 one is ok, but it sometimes leaves a jagged edge. Also, unless you hold the EDIT: Inner (headspacing part), it rotates and it tends to scratch the cases a lot. I kind of dislike that, its like a weak point for head separation.
    My 308 one doesnt work so well, it really jumps and the case necks end up looking like a saw blade....

overall, its ok for the price but i would give it a 7 max. cases need both a chamfer and debur. I use a hornady motorized tool. Should have gotten the lyman though, its flat and larger.

if i shot more i would just get the giraud. Quick, reliable, chamfers and debur.... No fooling around.

I have used the lee but with a drill, the pin is too soft and get worn out so the oal gets progressively shorter. The two i have ran only did 300 or so ases before they were ruined..... Forget it for any volume.
    Last edited by kryogen; 05-02-2015 at 10:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    I ise a wft. My 223 one is ok, but it sometimes leaves a jagged edge. Also, unless you hold the outer shell, it rotates and it tends to scratch the cases a lot.

I find this a bit confusing as the part I would think of as being the outer shell is the main(?) housing and must turn with the cutter. One could hold the inner race of the ball bearing which has the case holder in it but I do not find this necessary. I have only had a few cases to get lightly scratched out of over 1,000 and that was caused from applying to much force.

My 308 one doesnt work so well, it really jumps and the case necks end up looking like a saw blade....

Sounds like over agressive cutting , perhaps try using less force or run the cutter faster or even a combination of both.

I was a Tool & Die Maker , preccession machniest and plant engineer for over 40 years so well understand the difference between lettting a cutter do its' job and trying to force it.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master
    Just picked up a WFT2 with .223 and .30-06 adaptors, after having a slam fire in an AR-15 at the CMP Oklahoma games. Had to pickup a new drill with 1/2 inch chuck as as well.
    WFT uses a 3/8" dia. 4 flute end mill as the cutter thus a 3/8 " drill motor works just fine.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master
    I meant the inner bearing thing, where it headspaces.
    It seems like the finish in mine isnt so perfect, and it tends to "cut a line" all around the case..... I am not a machinist and I don't really know how to fix that.

I have tried every speed and presure combination.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Case Stuffer View Post
    WFT uses a 3/8" dia. 4 flute end mill as the cutter thus a 3/8 " drill motor works just fine.
    The WFT works with a 3/8 in chuck, but the WFT2 requires a 1/2 in chuck. I went with the WFT2 so I could get the interchangeable inserts rather than needing a complete WFT for each caliber I need to trim.

Another satisfied WFT2 user here! I use it for .30-06, .270, .270 WSM, .30-30, .223/5.56, 6.8, .243. Extremely consistent lengths and no issues! What more could you ask for?!?

Moderator Emeritus

In my WFT I find a lighter touch works for a cleaner cut. So it takes 2 seconds longer... to much force seemed to leave more of a burr.

Banned

don't know whats best but ive got an rcbs and ill say this. I actually wore the bearings out in mine twice. The great thing about rcbs is you box it up send it in and it comes back reconditioned like new. Cutter head gets dull call them up and replacement is on the way free.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Lyman that I've used for over twenty years. I've trimmed 20+ thousand cases on it, bottle neck and straight wall combined. It holds tolerances of plus or minus .001" or better. If or when it quits, I'll replace it with another Lyman.

Boolit Master
    Wat speed do you run the wft at?

Boolit Buddy
    I have used a Gracey since 1995. I have trimmed many many thousands of cases and never had a problem with it. It registers on the case shoulder, trims and chamfers in a single operation. It requires a different case holder per caliber. http://www.matchprep.com, Phone 661-822-5383.
    Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
    Sometimes it is better to just smile and walk away.

You can always tell a Handloader, by his unceasing quest for spent brass.