Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Use A Semi-Auto Handgun For Hunting?

Anyone Use A Semi-Auto Handgun For Hunting?

Seems, the 10mm is probably the most popular hunting semi-auto handgun these days. What are you folks using in the line of a semi?

I have a Kimber Desert Warrior (45ACP) that I plan on trying out this year. It is the most accurate handgun I have ever shot. I plan on using it at 25 yards and under on hogs.

Boolit Grand Master

Not allowed to use semis for hunting in PA

Boolit Grand Master
    Colt Match Woodsman in 22 LR for dusting ground squirrels, (the one in my atavar.) Otherwise, my hunting handguns are round.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I do have a Glock 20 with a 6" Lone Wolf barrel for hunting. However, after acquiring a couple of 44mag revolvers over the past 2-3 years, its collecting dust in the safe. Maybe someday I'll use it again, but the revolver is my choice for hunting with a handgun. I wouldn't mind a 1911 in 10mm, as long as it has a fully supported chamber.

Boolit Mold
    Has anyone tried the 460 Rowland. Seems like it would be a good candidate.

Banned

460 Rowland makes a lot of sense for hunting.

Boolit Master

Around here pocket gophers are a problem (and especially the badgers that dig big holes going for them!). I've used a Glock 27, 19 and a 26. They work well, when I connect.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    How is 10mm the most common or popular hunting semi? Even as a sidearm I haven't seen, or even HEARD of a 10mm in Texas in probably 15 years including several years working law enforcement. 9mm, 357 sig, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, yes. Heck I have even seen a few 38 supers lurking. But a 10mm? You are more likely to find a Desert Eagle 357 mag, or 50 DE, and those are pretty darned rare around these parts. Heck I have seen more 44 automags and 45 win mags than 10mms.... Piles of 380s around, 25acps lurking, even seen 32 acps now and then... but 10mm? Now you have me thinking... I mean seriously I know 10mms exist, but I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a gun or ammo in that caliber. I know I have seen 9mm makarov, and 7.62 tokarev...

Anyway.

For hunting with a semiauto handgun I have used (and seen used) both a old buddies browning buckmark 22 (bunny popper) and a 45acp in a 1911A1.

I had a brief gleam in my eye when I read about the .50 GI, but honestly it would be such a pain in the tookas to setup for that 45acp will more than do.

I'm going to have to actually look around and see if somehow I just missed 10mms, seriously it throws me it's been so long since I have seen one.....

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Killed a pile of squirrels back in the day with a 6 7/8" Mark II target model. God I miss that gun.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy

10mm made at BCG

Boolit Master

GoodOlBoy, come'on south to Orange county and I will show you a S&W 610, a Witness Match, and a Witness Hunter in 10mm. Heck, I'll even take you to the range and let you shoot all three.
    Leonard
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Moderator Emeritus

Killed a lot of jackrabbits and gophers with a Ruger 22. A few ruffed grouse as well, yes it is legal where I live.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I've hunted with but never successfully with an AMT 45 auto. During a Javalina hunt I crossed paths with another hunter using a 50 Desert Eagle. In our short conversation he claimed to have taken a deer with it.

Boolit Bub
    HK USP Elite with 260gr. Speer or 10mm G20 with Lone Wolf barrel. The Speer bullet has been discontinued and the HK leads with plain base boolits. I'm rationing the two boxes I have left. The G20 is an awesome hunting handgun. With the addition of .357 SIG and .40 S&W barrels, you can tailor loads for small to medium game.

Boolit Master
    lbaize3 be careful I might just take ya up on that!

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to run down a 10mm, I honestly can't remember seeing one in a coons age!

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master

Had my hands on Dan Wesson 1911 in 10mm the other day, well built & solid gun.
    Didn't get a chance to shoot it, but, if I ask I might get the opportunity.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

10mm, yes, just a .41 mag after all. I would use a semi if I had one. The ACP just needs the right bullet. Smaller---NO.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    10mm, yes, just a .41 mag after all. I would use a semi if I had one. The ACP just needs the right bullet. Smaller---NO.
    It's a 41mag wanna be. Anything the 10mm can do the 41mag will do better.

Boolit Master
    I had an original Coonan in 357mag that would shoot five shot groups at 25yds under 1.5" on a regular basis off sandbags. I shot a couple of deer with it but I never found it to be as comfortable to shoot as either my 586 or 686. It just wasn't as versatile being an auto.