Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 110 in 223

Savage 110 in 223

I saw a Savage 110 in 223 with out the accutrigger and with a junk scope in a Cabelas for $500. Seams pretty high to me but I know the 110 223 is not common so is it high or not? Thanks
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

In Cabelas no. Online or at a show yes. You can pick up a standard non accutrigger Savage on Armslist for 3~350 ,sometimes cheaper if you take your time.

I think the price is because it is a 223 in a long action. I read about it being all the rage for targets and its not common at all. I see 270s and 30-06s for 3-350$ all the time. But I have never seen a 223 in the long action
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master

I bought my Sav. 110 in 223 Cal. new 10 yrs. ago. It was a promotion deal with a cheap scope on it. Paid $330.00 out the door.

Larry

On Heaven's Range

My new M10FLV in .223 cost almost $650 a few weeks back, including priority freight from the east coast to Nevada.

However, it's not exactly an "econo" model. For one thing, it's left-handed. It DOES have the Accu-Trigger, and the barrel is a 26"-long medium-heavy profile. It makes an impressive full-varmint rig with a Weaver K10 mounted.

This weekend, a bunch of us from this Board are mounting a major trek to northern Nevada for several days' shooting on ground squirrels. I expect this new Savage will get a lot of shooting..... I have about 500 rounds of V-Max loads packed-up and ready to go.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

In Remembrance

Bought a new "combo gun Model 111" about 25 years back. I took the 2x7 Bushnell scope off and put a decent 4x12 power on. With 52 gr. hp bullets it is a terror for small critters out to 300 yds.Robert

The original 110/10 series came out in the long action 110 with a rear flat top on the receiver scope mount area, so all calibers were put on the 110 action. Nothing special about it, nothing wrong with it either. If it's a newer receiver it just means that someone rebarreled it, which is not uncommon. The short action came later to better accommodate the shorter cases, which also took some of the flex out of the receiver. The best part about the 110 is it can be rebarreled to the longer /06 cases.

For me, my money would be better spent, buying the 3-350 from somewhere else and spending that extra 200 fixing up the gun with competition trigger, stock, barrel etc. Etc.... Your money may differ,though.

Check the Savage forums and see what they tell you.

Boolit Master

I have one of the very plain Stevens 200 in 223. Basically the Savage 10 with no Accutrigger and very ugly stock. It was $279 10 years ago. VERY accurate. I completed a police precision shooter course with it.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the long action .223 112 varmint single shots, varmint barrels, circa 1991. This has a trough milled out in the solid bottom of the receiver, for a single shot. It has the 3 screw trigger, which I have worked over to 2# and safe, SSS trigger set at 1#, 9 twist barrel. Gun shoots +- 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups with 45, 50, 55gr factory ammo, with my 60, 62 and 68 gr handloads, way under 1/2 moa, as this is what the barrel is throated to shoot. I have changed the stock and bedded it into a Bell and Carlson duramax, I would not take $500 for it without a scope an with the factory barrel.

Great info. Thanks folks!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1johnlb View Post
    The original 110/10 series came out in the long action 110 with a rear flat top on the receiver scope mount area, so all calibers were put on the 110 action. Nothing special about it, nothing wrong with it either. If it's a newer receiver it just means that someone rebarreled it, which is not uncommon. The short action came later to better accommodate the shorter cases, which also took some of the flex out of the receiver. The best part about the 110 is it can be rebarreled to the longer /06 cases.

For me, my money would be better spent, buying the 3-350 from somewhere else and spending that extra 200 fixing up the gun with competition trigger, stock, barrel etc. Etc.... Your money may differ,though.

Check the Savage forums and see what they tell you.
    I was 22, first duty assignment in the Army (Fort Sill) happened into a gun shop that turned out was moving soon and had a sale. Walked out with a very lightly used Savage 110, absolutely plain jane beech stock, blind magazine, long action with a cheap Japanese scope and three boxes of .223 ammo for what I thought was pretty cheap, don't remember what.

I still have that rifle and it shoots very well with anything I have ever handloaded for it (jacketed only so far). That was 27 years ago, pretty much on my own for the first time and was the first gun I ever bought from a dealer without Dad or someone doing the leg work for me, so it was kind of a right of passage I suppose. Those 110s are good rifles, I've owned a few more since and even though I'm a Model 70 Winchester fan, were I to buy a new bolt gun today, it would be a Savage 110/111/ whatever they're calling it now.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I was 22, first duty assignment in the Army (Fort Sill) happened into a gun shop that turned out was moving soon and had a sale. Walked out with a very lightly used Savage 110, absolutely plain jane beech stock, blind magazine, long action with a cheap Japanese scope and three boxes of .223 ammo for what I thought was pretty cheap, don't remember what.

I still have that rifle and it shoots very well with anything I have ever handloaded for it (jacketed only so far). That was 27 years ago, pretty much on my own for the first time and was the first gun I ever bought from a dealer without Dad or someone doing the leg work for me, so it was kind of a right of passage I suppose. Those 110s are good rifles, I've owned a few more since and even though I'm a Model 70 Winchester fan, were I to buy a new bolt gun today, it would be a Savage 110/111/ whatever they're calling it now.
    I couldn't agree more, I'm currently in the middle of a 110 build.

I wasn't putting down the savage, just the fact that 500 was to much for a non accutrigger, to answer the Ops question. He can buy a brand new with accutrigger for just a little over 650.

The 110 I'm building is a 110 in /06, and picked it up for 300 with a Nikon scope in it.

So, I was trying to inform the OP of the fact that he could do much better. I understand when we want something we want it now. and we just need someone, anyone to agree

I once read that the long action 223 was a target shooters dream. That was the only reason I could think of that it could possibly be that much money. These posts about only making 110 actions for several years makes sense and my gut feeling about it just being overpriced was correct. When I was fondling it I was thinking this is a $300 rifle. Whats with the $500 tag on it. Thanks guys!!
    BTW I cant stand the accutrigger either. Ill take an old one every time
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1johnlb View Post
    I couldn't agree more, I'm currently in the middle of a 110 build.

I wasn't putting down the savage, just the fact that 500 was to much for a non accutrigger, to answer the Ops question. He can buy a brand new with accutrigger for just a little over 650.

The 110 I'm building is a 110 in /06, and picked it up for 300 with a Nikon scope in it.

So, I was trying to inform the OP of the fact that he could do much better. I understand when we want something we want it now. and we just need someone, anyone to agree
    Kinda funny about the Accu Trigger, I really didn't think I would like it...until I tried one. I'm sold now. My younger son's deer rifle is one of the youth package deals in .308 and had that trigger, rifle shot great straight out of the box, almost too easy for a dyed in the wool gun nut like myself, LOL.

I think you picked a good platform for a custom build. I've been toying with the idea of making a .35 Whelen on one for a long time.

Boolit Master
    My savages need counseling because they never know what they really are. One time a magnum then swap out the bolt head for a 06 base cartridge and when bored with that swap out for a 223 base for those cartridges. Love those savages! Not to many years ago if a fella went hunting with a groub of others and he had a savage he was very quiet and almost felt rejected for even showing up with a ugly savage! My how times have changed when gun writers decide to promote something .
    Look twice, shoot once.

For me, a weekend smith/shooter, the savage has been the most versatile rifle I own. I've had a Savage 10 with accutrigger in the safe since about 07, and had no clue until recently, how easy it is to swap out barrels. The 110 will be my 2nd build and I'm also thinking of the 35 Whelen. So as far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with the savage action, only problem is the different shaft sizes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150321_121923.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	136269

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    In Feb 2013 I bought a 1972 Sav 110 .223 with [Thomas Crapper brand] scope for $240 off a gunshow table.
    I intended to re barrel, re stock, and re scope is why I bought it.
    The distance between holes in the receiver is is a 4.522".
    A new stock is almost impossible to find.
    I got a a 4.415" stock from Boyds for $109 called a Tacticool. Now they call them Pro Varmint.
    I drilled, milled, made Aluminium pillars, and epoxied it to fit.
    The tactical bolt handle was $55
    The SharpShooter recoil lug was $25
    The Karsten cheek rest was $60
    The Lothar Walther bull barrel blank cost me $113 in 2002 on sale.
    I put the barrel on with a shoulder, without a barrel nut.

Name:	Savage 110 223 35 gr Vmax 13 gr Blue Dot 100 yards  5 9-18-2013.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	139478
    I took it to the range Sept 2013
    Pic above is the first 5 shot group at 100 yards
    I shot some prairie dogs with it Oct 2013.

Is it still 223 and I would love some pics or it? It has no barrel nut? What holds it in place?
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    1Johnlb +1 on the ease of switching barrels. I went from a 223 to a 7TCU. Now I am thinking 308 to either a 358 or 338Fed.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals

Name:	Gun Show 1988 Sav 110 223 with 4X bush banner scope 0 2-23-2013.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	139545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sav 110 223 .250 neck LW CM barrel Boyds Tactical stock SSS recoil lug 9-29-2013.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	139546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage 110 223 with Sharp shooter recoil lug and Lothar Walther 26 in bull barrel 9-15-2013.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	139547
    before and after pics
    I cut a shoulder on the barrel and it buts up against the Sharpshooter recoil lug, like in a Rem700.