Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: W231 or HP38

Banned

Boolit Master
    10 Ring in Houston has HP-38 in 8 lbs bottle.

Boolit Grand Master

Been reading about CFE Pistol and CFE 223, will buy some next time I see some. I know a couple guys who did Beta testing on CFE Pistol and they were very excited to see it on the shelf.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Mold
    HP-38 and Win 231 is just beginning to show up on the shelf here in Idaho. I heard a rumor that Hodgdon's is beginning to catch up on the popular powders since they have discontinued several IMR powders that they feel are less popular.

I have also seen documented that the factory producing Clays and Universal Clays (in Australia) is back online and shipping. So that may take some of the hoarding heat off of the other pistol powders. Clays users around here have been having withdrawal pains for the last couple of years.

Bill

Banned
    I think we are slowly returning to normal, we're not even close yet but we're heading in the right direction. As the supply improves it drives down the profit margin for the hoarders and speculators. Barring some new mass shooting or other outside force, the market will stabilize and the supply will catch up with the demand. We're close to that point now. People that would (and did) pay extremely high prices now have closets full of ammo, powder and components that they can no longer sell for more than they paid.

Boolit Master

Everybody knows by now that HP38 and W231 are the same powder, just in different packaging, right?

Boolit Master

Saw both at the local cabelas outpost here in Waco. Bought some hp38 for a friend but I've never tried it. I have an 8 lb keg of bullseye thanks to that friend and he wanted hp38 so it finally worked out. There was some there about 2 weeks ago still.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    Not everyone. I have a shooting friend who refuses to believe they are the same. Same thing with 296 and H110.

Banned
    Speaking of H110 (AKA 296 ) I just picked up a pound at a LGS and they had plenty more. They also had 700x, 800x and a lot of rifle powders. We're getting there.

I ran out of HP38 a while back. I was using it in light 9mm loads. I have since started using the same weight of Green Dot and I'm not missing the HP38 at all. GD is slighty bulkier, but equal # of grains runs within 30fps of the same velocity in my 9mm pistols.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Everybody knows by now that HP38 and W231 are the same powder, just in different packaging, right?
    You beat me to it. They're the same.

I was trying to find W231 and called a semi-local reloading shop to see if they had any. They didn't, but had just received a couple 8# jugs of HP-38. I'd forgotten to ask about it. I said "put it aside for me, I'll be there in 90 minutes." They did and I was.

Now I need to cast up a bunch of boolits to shoot it with.

Boolit Buddy

Around my area, the powder situation is now pretty good. Grice Gun Shop is a large store in my area and my last trip there almost all of the powder was back in stock. They have a top shelf display that has a container set up for every one they have in stock. I know 231 was there. I got some Clays and that is the first time I seen it in about 2 years.

Banned
    PISTOL POWDERS !!!!

Just took a quick trip to a gun show and pistol/shotgun powders were available !

OK, the prices weren't great but with no hazmat fee or shipping costs they were better than the on-line bandits. We're getting there folks. Competition will eventually drive those prices back down to near pre-panic prices. No one knows where the market will stabilize but availability is a good sign. It may even be a great sign.

I saw HP-38/231, Bullseye, Unique, WSF, Red Dot, H110, 700x, 800x, CFE Pistol and a bunch of others. There were plenty of rifle powders as well as all types of primers.