Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W231 or HP38

Boolit Buddy

W231 or HP38

Anyone know where I might find some 4lb or 8lb jugs (even single lb cans) in stock??
    Things are getting better but I am having trouble finding W231.

Banned
    Good luck ... I gave up after months of searching. I broke down and tried the Spanish import CSB-1 powder. So far not bad but not as flexible as W231. At least it seems to meter well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mj2evans View Post
    Good luck ... I gave up after months of searching. I broke down and tried the Spanish import CSB-1 powder. So far not bad but not as flexible as W231. At least it seems to meter well.
    I am strongly thinking about getting some myself!!
    Is it a ball or flake powder??
    I load 40 S&W, .38spl, .357mag, .45acp, .44spl and 9mm.
    Looking for something that will work well with 150gr cast coated and 147gr plated 9mm.

Banned
    CSB-1 is flake powder but more disk-like (think Clays, not Unique). I have used in in 357 and 45 ACP and 45 Colt. Have not tried 9mm. It is said you can used Clay's Universal as a guide but the 200g SWC 45 ACP load felt hot to me (I was using 6.2-6.6g and that was just too snappy even in full size all steel 1911).

357 158g SWC with 4.5/5.0/5.5 CSB-1 - the 5.5g load shot best groups in Ruger GP100 3", I am sure I could go higher but this looks like a nice practice load.
    45 ACP with Lee 200g SWC TL - 5.8g is ok but still seems a little hot, I am going to try 5.5g
    45 Colt 250g swaged RNFP - 6.5.g is almost a 22lr, 7.5g not bad (I am sure decent amount of power), the 6.5-7.0 range would be something you could let new shooters fire if they want to shoot a "big" round or for cowboy action stuff

Boolit Buddy
    I have not read much about them (CSB Powders) yet but what I have read is all good

Boolit Buddy
    I regularly see Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, WSF, 700X and Titegroup.
    I am also seeing American Select which I understand is a general purpose shotgun/pistol powder but I don't know much about it. One LGS has it about all the time and I am trmpted to experiment with it.

Banned
    Self Banned I exceed my own RPM threshold
    Thanks to TPTB maybe folks will start spending all their money on ARMOUR PIERCING 5.56 and have no hoarding money left to buy W231 and other powders?

Boolit Buddy
    Does not help, but bought 4# of W231 last week. I still have a slight sprain in the wallet hand....

geoff in Oregon

Boolit Buddy
    I have heard several pounds were spotted about 90 miles south of me last week and I am checking into it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Better grab it tomorrow, may already be too late. Can't remember last time I saw some on a shelf...other than mine, of course. Good thing I don't shoot much pistol any more; 231 is my favorite pistol powder.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

3 1lb cans of HP38 in a LGS here in western NC. First time that's happened here in a couple years

Quote Originally Posted by LubeckTech View Post
    I am strongly thinking about getting some myself!!
    Is it a ball or flake powder??
    I load 40 S&W, .38spl, .357mag, .45acp, .44spl and 9mm.
    Looking for something that will work well with 150gr cast coated and 147gr plated 9mm.
    If you can find it, CFE Pistol covers all those cartridges well. Hodgdons seems to be releasing shipments of it currently. I just picked up an 8lb jug today. The store had 6-7 cases of 1lb bottles sitting on the floor right next to it.

Banned
    You get laughed at in Texas if you ask for W231 ... its like asking for an honest politician. Glad to here some people have seen it and its not extinct!

Boolit Mold
    Went looking for AA#5 last week, lgs didn't have any but they did have 2, 1# W231. (notice I said did have) Haven't seen it around here for a while.

Boolit Grand Master

Just found a couple fresh pounds on my shelf, date says I bought it in 2011. Dark in that part of the closet, need to poke around in there more often. Two pounds of 748 sitting right next to it, imagine that!
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 03-13-2015 at 11:46 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nise View Post
    wow, 1911, they and you have been around awhile,

OOPS! Missed it by 100 yrs. I misplace a decade now and then but this is a new one for me. Will fix it, thanks!

Boolit Buddy

Picked up 4lbs of each a few weeks ago.. It was available (for a very short time) at Recobs Target Shop

Banned
    I'll second tazman's suggestion. I replaced 231 with CFE Pistol. It works in most of the same applications and seems to be available more often.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I'll second tazman's suggestion. I replaced 231 with CFE Pistol. It works in most of the same applications and seems to be available more often.
    I just went to Hodgdon's site and the only CFE I find is "CFE Rifle". It's listed for the .223 Rem. as primary.

Is there a pistol version?

bgokk Benefactor Member NRA
    The second amendment is the guarantee for all the other amendments...........

Banned
    Yes, they make CFE Pistol and it is a totally different powder.