MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Language in Posts

Boolit Master

If your kid is old enough to read - then I would hazard a guess that he will hear a whole lot worse everyday in school than what he'll ever read on most firearm forums.

Myself, I kinda like a few well choosen words sprinkled about to emphasis a point that usually brings a smile on most peoples face who have been there, tried to do that type thinggy. But I also try to keep within the rules.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by joesig View Post
    That said, I do like the family friendly nature of this forum and knowing I CAN point an eight year old hear to learn about casting, etc. and not worry what they might read.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I think that was the OPs point. You COULD point an eight year old to CB but some of the members might answer his questions in an unacceptable manner.
    You are correct, that is my point and is also one of the hallmarks of this forum that separates us from many of the others. I too am former military, was in construction for 32 years so I'm pretty sure there isn't a word I have not heard nor does it offend me when others use them even though I don't.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I generally prefer environments where there is no censorship. While I am not offended by course language it can effect my opinion of those that use it so it is better to let them use the language they are comfortable with and form opinions accordingly. I can also understand the reason for the site rules and also form an opinion of those that try to get around the rules. The site censors a few words that I don't understand how anyone things are offensive and convey with a single word what it takes two or three to express since the word is censored.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not a stranger to profanity and probably rely on it more than I should to make a point in some verbal situations but I seldom use it in print or electronic media. It's not appropriate here because we have no control over who reads what we write. Besides that, the site owner wants it that way and I like hanging out here so that's good enough for me.
    Quite frankly NavyVet59's sig line bothers me more than most profanity but only because I've felt that way for years, especially this time of year. I hope everyone reads and understands that bit of wisdom instead of focusing on the refund that some feel "lucky" to get.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Anyone else notice that some members with low post counts are getting pretty free with the language in their posts?
    Or is it vigorous use of the english lexicon tends to be from folks with low post counts, and they tend to be pruned earlier, thus making the connection low post count <--> vigorous language? I'm not noticing any Nobel prize discovery here.

Sounds like a self fufilling prophesy.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    former military, was in construction for 32 years
    One of the most masterful uses of the english language I ever experienced was when my first Platoon Sergeant disassembled a rather sensless lower enlisted after that individual drove a jeep (yes, they did use the M151, Virginia) from Dubuque all the way up to Ft McCoy without a licence. To attend driver's licence training.

Without any innovative language, this former Marine flensed this sad sack. Impressive display. Didn't do much good, this kid ultimately said stupid stuff in a Dubuque bar that got his buttocks tossed from the Guard.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Must be some kind of filter here. I used the word c r a p and it came out ****. Not what I intended.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing to remeber is when a new person comes on and there are posts with profanity ( real or *****), derogatory remarks , coarseness and or disrespect we are all painted with that same brush and or impression.

Boolit Master

Filtering out course language is NOT true censorship, censorship would be filtering out opinions, a person's stance on a subject or otherwise changing the intent of what is being said to make it comply with someone else's point of view. The form of censorship that simply filters vulgarity that is clearly against the rules we all agreed to when we joined this group is in fact far more a case of rules enforcement rather than what we would normally view as censorship. Personally I would hate to see the rules relaxed and if this forum were to lose it's family oriented atmosphere I think a lot of us would probably not visit as much if ever. I myself have not been entirely guiltless of making vague references but I like to think I at least have kept it to a level I would not be afraid to use in public, of course that comes easy for me since I don't use course language anyway and what I have done here is as strong as I ever get with it anywhere.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    I have to go along with Bruce B, on this one.!
    1Shirt!
    And a Plus One from Echo!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    One thing to remeber is when a new person comes on and there are posts with profanity ( real or *****), derogatory remarks , coarseness and or disrespect we are all painted with that same brush and or impression.
    Why? Who in their right mind thinks that I'm the same person as a person that is cursing profusely? Talk about an extremely foolish thing to do. I question the level of ones intelligence if they do this.

As coarse as AR15.com is I don't think they're all mouth breathers. There are some very intelligent people there. Yes, you have to wade through some garbage to find answers to your questions. But you have to do that here if you have questions about shooting cast at high velocity. There may not he any cursing here but there is plenty of garbage to wade through.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I don't believe in censorship and being ex-Navy, I'm not particularly offended by actual words, it's the *way* you say the words that can make them offensive (if you try hard enough).

I remember a tag line someone once had on USENET that I though was funny...

"Profanity is the last refuge of the inarticulate ( Removed by staff...)

I self-censored for those of you who have girly-man ears.
    Sir,
    It is not censorship , we strive to maintain a family style educational forum here.
    We ask for just plain common decency and if you wouldnt use the word in front of your Mother , your children, or your preacher , its not needed here to make your point. If you type something here our filters detect and you get (*****) then simply find a different clean word to use and dont add letters in to insinuate the curse word as a bypass of the filter system. That violates the Terms of Service.
    Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Title of this thread had me worried, I thought Spanish was being made the official language of CB.

BB

I agree, BruceB got it right...+1

When I read posts about our current Gov't regime & the skulduggery going on, I REALLY GET RILED UP!!! I can feel every obscenity I know come into my head & try to move down my arms to the keyboard. I'm pleased to announce I've mastered restraint & either don't reply or at least preview & adjust my response accordingly. A bit of coarseness doesn't bother me & I can understand the frustration from others on various topics, but I'm no angel nor am I a neanderthal either. As a newer member I haven't read anything even slightly offensive yet.

Thank you mods, this is a GREAT FORUM - GOOD JOB!

Boolit Buddy
    32 years with a drilling company I cuss a little (sometimes a lot) but I don’t put it in posts here out of respect.

Things change a lot. 20 years ago who would have thought Gay Marriage and Weed would be legal? Then top that off with a black president.

When I was a little kid my parents applied a "filter" to keep my language appropriate to the place and audience. Now being an adult I figure it is my job to apply the filter appropriate to the audience which on this forum is public, mixed gender, broad age range. Frankly I don't want to arrive at the pearly gates and have to explain with my folks standing there why I was using profanity in front of women and young people.

If you can't describe something as being 10# of manure in a 5# sack without swearing you need to try harder. The only one that gets me is the term for shooting dice that may yield good or poor results based on dumb luck. Once I saw that it became **** shoot, I just found another way to say it.

Not a prude, can hold my own in a verbal exchange on a job site, loading dock or factory floor. Well enough that the young fellows who only have crude words learn not to apply them in my direction unless they want to be embarrassed at their lack of skill in colorful language. This forum is not those places, and not those people.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by Roosters View Post
    Then top that off with a ..
    HALF black. I had a repressed thought this morning. Remember the worshipful magazine and TV coverage of the Promised One? Isn't that blasphemous to a certain religion?

Just shake my head.

Juxtapose the French Revolution which had the Goddess of Logic as one of their (invented) dieties, and see how many French citizens were butchered to serve a supposed enlightened society.

When there is no higher power to appeal to than mere humans, things can get pretty brutal for "deniers". Had to sit through an MLK presentation where the presenter did not mention the qualifications of Martin Luther King, nor did the presenter call attention to the fact that the christian faith holds that all have fallen and are the same before God. Therefor there is no possible explanation for denying equal rights to fellow believers.

MLK did not make his appeal to logic, or to congress. When you hear some dimwit denying our rights come from a higher power than man, mark that person as a useful idiot.

French revolution, german NAZIs, soviet Communists, chinese Communists, cambodian Communists...

What of the present crowd of cretins in the Middle East? Same. Men have taken it upon themselves to announce what God would have done. No appeals to their heirarchy are going to win. Get yourself a trip off a building in a chair, or enjoy 50 shades of grey, but where it ISN'T consensual, do the Flame On like the Fabulous Four, but you can't Flame Off.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Something that gets me more, is how women swear now. I used to work construction, and had a retired Marine Corp sergeant who spoke fluent profanity as my boss. I hear things from women now that would make him blush.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Hillbilly, Marine and now dirt poor dirt farmer; I've said em.all.and I think heard them all. I do get filled up from time to time in the pot, I received a warning once for a ******* type word. Lesson learned, I'm a guest in a board which is some else intellectual/actual property, we have house rules I'll respect the rules here as this is my outlet, knowledge base and fun time place. Like the family friendly atmosphere, save my cuss words for work and field.

Boolit Grand Master
    consider the source is all
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often