RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Envy Your Freedom! Please Help

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Welcome aboard.

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping your location a secret here. Anyone who is interested all that much, can look at your ISP #!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Sounds like kalifornia to me.

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie

Wink

Hola, People not used Casting freely, have a hard time learning the ins and outs of casting. I have helped a person do just this very thing in a south of Texas country and you would have thought we were overthrowing the government. It was stressful for him but in the end he was NOT paying $5.00/round by the time we had him casting like a regular Cast Boolit forum member.Nough Said. Please help spread the Boolit Gospel.

Boolit Master
    All very helpful answers. I would also like to say:
    1) I keep my moulds oiled with light household 3-in-1 oil, so I use Richochet's method to heat the mould until the oil smokes off. The first bullets will then be heavily frosted, until the mould cools a little.
    2) I once ran some tests on wrinkled bullets, and they don't shoot that badly if there aren't large voids and folds as well as wrinkles.

Boolit Buddy
    Like the good folks before said:
    1:Get all residue out of your molds
    2:Smoke the molds
    3:Keep the mold hot
    Good luck
    Uwe

Sounds like his country is treatening to go to war with Colombia.
    Morgan

Isn't Columbia an ally of ours?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Yes, That's why Hugo Chavez is flexing his muscles. He's bent out of shape over Columbia shooting up a few of the terrorists he's been training and arming, and has moved troops and tanks to their border with Colombia. These are the thugs that kidnap and kill officials and influential people in Colombia, and elsewhere in SA.

We've got SA gangs here in the States. Here in North Carolina(Charlotte), the big one, is from El Savador, they call themselves MS13.

I think anyone who buys Citgo gas should have his head examined(or maybe stepped on).
    Morgan

Boolit Master
    I live in a very arid area, and find that if I degrease a mold by boiling in water and detergent, the mold will quickly grow a fine coating of rust once it is dry. This is with iron molds of course, and only seems to happen to brand new molds.

Boolit Bub

Got My First Nice Boolits.!

Thank You all guys for such valuable advice. Today I cast about 50 boolits, nearly half were quite satisfactory. The problem was the low temperature, not any more, thanks to my daughter's hair dryer, charcoal and a cast iron pot + some bricks. Messy but effective.

You guys are quite swift, and Morgan, You've been watching CNN. That's the guy who with his second hand, half a dozen Sukhoys and a very lonely WW II leaking submarine is defying the U.S.A.

Thank You also for the tip. If I ever take refuge in the U.S.A. I'll make sure to avoid California.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by hydraulic View Post
    No one mentioned this, so I will: SMOKE THE MOULD!!! Use a plain wooden kitchen match and put a good layer of soot in the cavities.
    Should this be done before every casting session or only after cleaning the molds from oil and residues?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOOTER IN EXILE View Post
    Should this be done before every casting session or only after cleaning the molds from oil and residues?
    Smoking helps as a release agent, smoke before casting and whenever the mold gets reluctant to release the boolit, if it does get more reluctant than before.

Be careful of temps with the hair-dryer. You can get charcoal hot enough to melt iron with enough air-flow. I don't know if a blow-fryer will provide enough air to do this, but it's something to keep in mind.

A butane lighter will also do for smoking the cavities. The long barbeque ones are easier to use than a normal Bic lighter.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SHOOTER IN EXILE View Post
    If I ever take refuge in the U.S.A. I'll make sure to avoid California.
    Tennessee's not half bad.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    Smoking helps as a release agent, smoke before casting and whenever the mold gets reluctant to release the boolit, if it does get more reluctant than before.

Be careful of temps with the hair-dryer. You can get charcoal hot enough to melt iron with enough air-flow. I don't know if a blow-fryer will provide enough air to do this, but it's something to keep in mind.

A butane lighter will also do for smoking the cavities. The long barbeque ones are easier to use than a normal Bic lighter.
    The hair dryer's exit goes in a plastic bottle's cutoff base. The mouth of the bottle in a bamboo pipe, the bamboo pipe in an iron pipe, the iron pipe in the charcoal.

The bamboo doesn't transmit heat. Some melting pot, ain't it?

Boolit Grand Master
    Anytime I start thinking how bad I have it in California as a shooter/gun owner, I'll think of SIE and count my blessings. I greatly admire your persistence and perseverance, and the craftiness of your blowdryer-stoked charcoal casting furnace. YOU THE MAN!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

All of the above recommendations are good.

Before casting degrease the moulds with alcohol.
    Use a good alloy with some tin for filling out.
    Make sure the mould is up to temp.
    Flux the allow often.
    It may take some time before the mould breaks in.
    A few moulds never ever produce good bullets.

Good luck,
    Sherlok