Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

Weeeell they do have some pretty good beers.
    And, the best Schnitzel sandwiches on the planet. Stationed in Hanau for 19 months in the late 60's and nearly lived off those. Wish someone here knew how to make them as good.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Banned
    I admire the Germans and for the most part they do seem to have a mechanical gene but there are always exceptions.
    As for the lawyer part, I've met a LOT of well educated people that didn't even have "walking around sense".
    Education is valuable but it is FAR from an absolute sign of wisdom.

There is book smart and practical smart.

He sounds like a book smart guy.

After that stunt if he isn't banned from competing in the competition or boycott shooting anywhere near him. Loudly.

If he injured some one he would be In a world of trouble.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe make him a lever seater up right to he has it to use. You can say and tell him about "tools" but if he dosnt know what they are then your speaking a forieghn language to him, and german pride may not allow him to admit he dosnt know. I have cut them out of tight grained hard wood for myself and others. I may make some up from aluminum so the handle can be bent to clear the malcomn scopes I use now. As far as banning him if he did this at home is it going to stop him? I doubt the barrel is hurt to bad as pressure with an open breech would flow the patch of least resistence.

Boolit Master
    The bullet must still be in there for some pretty compelling reason. The breech wasn't open. There was a cartridge seater and fair weight of the shooter's anatomy behind it, and breechblock and spring detract hardly at all from the energy imparted in a blowback automatic. Long ago someone tried (unsuccessfully) to produce a recoiliess artillery piece by projecting a shell forwards and equal weight of lead powder and petroleum jelly backwards. The shell still built up considerable velocity.

He sounds like he may learn to point it at veneered chipboard flatpack furniture the next time. Leaving him only his home to do it in has the significance that nobody else has to be there.

Boolit Master
    Consider this: if he is not banned, returns, has another stupid incident, hurts some one, this time the club and him both are held liable, because of past history and the club's officials allowing him to continue with such disregard for the other shooters safety. The range officer should of removed him from the line when the hammer and dowel made their first appearance at his bench. Until said person learns how to make ammo fit the rifle they are shooting they should not be allowed to return.

KW

Boolit Master

yep You can't fix Stupid!
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Presumably it happened in his home, where the antique furniture is, and they would be condemning him on nothing but his own words. It still happened, still is dangerous, of course. But if they do that, people would just keep quiet about such incidents. The ranges could be full of people who are behaving stupidly on a daily basis, because they are losing their grip, if they ever had a grip. It could be argued that it is better to have everyone informed and aware, ready to dive for cover when the plastic mallet comes out.

Perhaps the best answer would be for some club official etc. to take him aside, where his self-esteem won't be dented, and explain in simple language why he had better not go on doing that. Perhaps they already have.

Moderator Emeritus

As a NYS Hunter Safety instructor, I have a small collection of ram-rods accidentally propelled down range. Oops!?! Happy gent sustained no loss of sight or limb, wondering if this incident might be a "wake-up call".
    george

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Presumably it happened in his home, where the antique furniture is, and they would be condemning him on nothing but his own words. It still happened, still is dangerous, of course. But if they do that, people would just keep quiet about such incidents. The ranges could be full of people who are behaving stupidly on a daily basis, because they are losing their grip, if they ever had a grip. It could be argued that it is better to have everyone informed and aware, ready to dive for cover when the plastic mallet comes out.

Perhaps the best answer would be for some club official etc. to take him aside, where his self-esteem won't be dented, and explain in simple language why he had better not go on doing that. Perhaps they already have.
    It did happen in his home and according to him he won't do that again. One guy brought up the fact that some places don't even allow wood lever devices at their shoots. I have used those but prefer to load my ammunition where thumb pressure alone will seat the round. There is a big difference between applying a consistent force and tapping on the case even with a wood dowel.

As some folks pointed out education doesn't confer common sense. I had 2 girls that worked for me that had graduated from college in their late teens, IQs in the 170 category, neither had the sense to come in out of the rain. We all have met folks that wouldn't know which end of the screwdriver to use.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Attorneys, doctors and dentists shouldn't be allowed to have firearms. These professionals are equally scarry in the left seat of a private plane.

BB

Boolit Master

Doctors and Beech Bonanzas is a deadly combination for sure.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgment.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I wonder if Austin Hatch thinks the 3rd time is the charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Doctors and Beech Bonanzas is a deadly combination for sure.

Bob
    EDG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgment.
    Very true and I've sure exercised both in my years on this planet, but certain things should be self evident.

"I wonder if Austin Hatch thinks the 3rd time is the charm".

Not sure who Austin Hatch is, but one of my customers managed to kill himself and his wife in a Bonanza. Got into instrument conditions and probably icing as well in Northern Ohio. Typical death spiral from 11,000ft to impact, not sure if he lost the tail or not. He tended to be overconfident in his abilities. Went from a Cherokee 6 to the B-35 for the improved speed. An airline pilot that knew him better than I told me early on that he was an accident looking for a place to happen.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    you said enough when you got to marine and lawyer............

Boolit Master

call me sick- but I wish we had that on video

what action type ? will he get ride of the bad barrel?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Being of German and French blood, I'll have to say that although all races produce their shares of good and bad. Some should never be allowed to even get close to the other gender.
    Werner Von Braun was my idol when I was young and read the book, I Aim At The Stars. I even was first in line when the movie came out.
    I will be the first to admit that I will talk to a brick wall if it remains in the same spot long enough.
    As far as lawyers go, I feel very qualified to make a comment on them as I was in the law enforcement field.
    A busload of lawyers going over a 2000 ft. cliff is known as a "DARN GOOD START" Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy

You guys covered everything else.

Four hours and the gunsmith still didn't get the bullet out?
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by joesig View Post
    You guys covered everything else.

Four hours and the gunsmith still didn't get the bullet out?
    That is what he said. Ordered a new barrel and said that there were some pistol barrels for sale. The guy has several BPCR so I'm not sure which one he did it to. Personally I would have gone to my grave with that stunt not being known.

Bob