MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC first try not so good

Boolit Buddy

PC first try not so good

Used the tumbler with plastic container inside for 12mins using HF red. Baked at 400 for 12mins. not good coverage and a bit clumpy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_06509.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	130060

Boolit Master

How they go in is how they come out. Try using hemostats and tapping the boolit/hemostat on the side of the tub before putting it on your tray to bake. Size some up and shoot them and see how it goes.
    The stuff that smoke sells in ss section is great stuff and gives good coverage.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Why a tumbler???????

~30 seconds swirl and 10 seconds up and down in a #5 coolwhip or screw-lid ZipLok IN YOUR HANDS and the job id done. Period. Most of us use this method with great success and not in a tumbler. We all developed it using coolwhip containers in our hands and not in any mechanical devices.

Using the method above I get amost ESPC quality every time. I tap the hemos on the side as said above to get rid of any extra powder. No Pb showing thru B4 baking.

Humidity could by your enemy here.

Also slopping around for 12 minutes in tumbler will start removing lead from your boolits and darkening your coat. You picture looks darker than normal. I do not know what Pb powder mixed in will do for coating effectiveness or lack thereof.

I have excellent luck with HF red.

I would suggest trying the standard manual swirl/shake for comparison. Let us know.

bangerjim

Boolit Buddy
    2nd try. Getting better. This time I did the shake method with air soft BBs. I only messed up 1 with my needle nose.

Name:	IMG_06517.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	130147

Boolit Master

clean as cast bullets, airsoft BB's, HF red, and nitrile gloves to pick them out and place them on a tray works well for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    2nd try. Getting better. This time I did the shake method with air soft BBs. I only messed up 1 with my needle nose.

Name:	IMG_06517.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	130147
    U R getting there! Just keep practicing. BBDT is very easy and perrrrty effective. Hemostats work much better than needlenose pliers. Pick up a pair.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Oh....I just checked the temp on my oven. It was almost 100 off.
    I set it to 300 and my thermometer I had inside read 390. My first batch I didnt check and just set it at 400.

Boolit Grand Master
    Most of those simple ovens will not get over ~450F. You were probably there!!!!!!! Much more and you will start to get "slumpers" over the elements......been there....done that. From what I have read, 450 will not ruin the powder. But it is not engineered to go that hot normally.

Just make a mark on your oven dial when your thermometer reads 400F. Use that for future bakes.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Most of those simple ovens will not get over ~450F. You were probably there!!!!!!! Much more and you will start to get "slumpers" over the elements......been there....done that. From what I have read, 450 will not ruin the powder. But it is not engineered to go that hot normally.

Just make a mark on your oven dial when your thermometer reads 400F. Use that for future bakes.

banger

Done. I also ordered some Jet Black from Smoke. I just can't warm up to red boolits.

Boolit Grand Master
    But..........just like red cars..........red boolits go faster!

Get a HF electrostatic gun for $69. Well worth that price your boolits will come out great every time. Make sure you get the boolits hot enough for the recommend time. I believe HF says 400 for at least 15 min. I do mine for 25 minutes. The timer should not be started till the boolits are up to temperature.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Boolit Master
    +1 for the hf gun. Works great, easy to use, whats not to like? Nearly 100 percent good ones in each batch and im still new at this.worth every penny.

Boolit Grand Master
    My go-to coating method always has been and still is ESPC using the HF gun and/or the Amazon compressor-less gun. Both give excellent coats 100% of the time. No picking and putting......just set up 3/4" apart and spray away. Most of the powder goes on the boolits or the NSAF. Very little overspray once you figure out what you are doing. I (estimate) get a little more than about 1/3 teaspoon waste after spraying several hundred on 6 racks.

After much practice, I have been able to get BBDT coatings to about 90% or so quality of ESPC. ESPC is just more fun!!!!!!! And a lot less physical effort.

Whatever method you choose, have fun!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    I would only consider espc, the rest is all clumps and uneven coating.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post

I guess that I am fortunate in that I have been doing this so long that when I started, ESPC was the ONLY way being talked about so that is the way I went and have never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    I have never had any trouble with BBDT.

Boolit Buddy
    Smokes Jet Black works well for me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet_black.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	130793

Boolit Buddy
    Here is what I have going on. I am using the same method with both HF Red and Smokes Jet Black. Same Cool Whip container, same air soft BBs. The black works as it should. But the red don't seem to want to stick to anything but the container. Not even the BBs. Could this powder be bad?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Smoke's powders are finer than HF and will stick easier, but HF red will tumble pretty good if you can get the static going. Have you tried tumbing everything inside a ziplock bag inside the bowl? Sometimes that adds a little more static. Just dump the BB's, powder and boolits into a ziplock baggie and put that in your CoolWhip bowl (or whatever you use) and shake and swirl the heck out of it that way. Maybe even put some Styrofoam peanuts in the bowl outside the bag and shuffle along on some carpet while shaking all of that. It is a different combination with me every time that works, which is why I don't really use the tumble much, but it will work.... if all of the variables align just right.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried that baggie while running my electric heater in the room along with my dehumidfier. Still didn't work.