RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Webley Mkiv muzzle crown

Boolit Man

Webley Mkiv muzzle crown

I picked up a Webley Mkiv 38 with IDF markings that is in great condition except for one thing. It was dropped on the muzzle at one time causing a dent in the muzzle crown, or lack of a crown as it seems as it was never crowned in the first place. A proper crown will remove the problem area.

Should I rent a cutter and do it myself, or is there some one on the board that offers this service?
    Beat profusely with hammer until functional.

Send an email to David@mansonreamers.com and ask your question. He is a very helpful person, and if anyone can give good advice on this topic, he's your man.

Boolit Master
    Yeh..I own a MkIV .45 and an Enfield No.2 .38...no crown on either to speak of. Just sawed off square.

I don't see why you couldn't do the 'polish a crown' deal where you spin a big rivet with lapping compound to clean a crown. Or just use an RCBS case neck reamer and gently hand-cut a crown chamfer then polish it up.

I've done both to clean up puckered crowns successfully...from Browning 1905 .25 acp(who knows what happened to it?) to an M1 Garand that appeared to have been dropped muzzle-first onto concrete. Both those I used the neck reamer...and cleaned it up..then polished it up with the rivet and drill with valve lapping compound.

I bought a 'project gun' Mannlicher Berthier 07/15 long rifle from a pretty smart fellow some years back. he showed me the muzzle which had been badly frosted and had rusted the crown gone. He had cleaned it up with the rivet lapping compound and a drill...looked good...worked perfect! Good accuracy from his re-crown work. That's more or less the procedure I've used since with the exception that if it's doinked bad..I may just clean it with the neck reamer and then polish it out.

I've seen the procedure explained in detail online before...