RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .270 wcf

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    I always enjoyed reading Jack O'Conner's articles and books as a youth and I still have one of his books in my library.

As far as the 270 goes, I've got no issues with it and I really enjoy shooting and loading for it. My mold for it is the RCBS 270-150-SP.

What's not to like about this Pre-War Model 70 in 270 Winchester?
    OOOOHHH!!! Pretty! Can I have it?
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

Ha, ha! It shoots as well as it looks!
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I've had three over the years if that says anything...still have two with one being a 1952 model that I'd put up against any in it's class for accuracy. My first 270 was a custom job built by Hal Hartley of Lenoir, NC. FN Supreme action, Douglas Premium barrel, tiger tail maple stock(his specialty), fleur de fis checkering and steel butt plate. There were no digital cameras in 1970 so this is the best I could do to show a Polaroid shot of it. $600 in 1970 was a fair chunk of change but it was beautiful and I only had to drive 75 miles to pick it up.

NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Master

Guess I shouldn't have gotten my new TC Encore 15" pistol in 270... So far it has caused all of my grandchildren born since to be born nekid.

Boolit Master
    Between the "3" (.270Win, .280Rem, 30-06) if you were to only jugde them on bullistics the .280Rem would be the winner.

It will match the .270 with like weight bullets and will deliver more energy at 500 meters than any other non magnum cartridge including the 30-06. For this very reason it became the caliber of choice in the late 1980s amoung Highpower Rifle Metallic Shilloutte shooters. Its popularity fell off when they started to lean back the rams so lighter recoiling calibers like the 7mm TCU would knock them down.

But, as many have already stated the difference is not really that meaningful when it comes to putting meat on the table.

Motor

It will match the .270 with like weight bullets and will deliver more energy at 500 meters than any other non magnum cartridge including the 30-06.
    What difference does that make? You shoot an animal at 546 yards you'd best have a spotter as by the time you walk toward where you shot him you may be off 75-100 yards of where you thought you saw him. I marvel at folks taking shots at those kind of distances.

The 270, 280 and 284 won't afford you a dimes worth of difference at normal hunting distances.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
    What difference does that make? You shoot an animal at 546 yards you'd best have a spotter as by the time you walk toward where you shot him you may be off 75-100 yards of where you thought you saw him. I marvel at folks taking shots at those kind of distances.

The 270, 280 and 284 won't afford you a dimes worth of difference at normal hunting distances.
    Did I say it did? No. If fact stated the opposite. As far as the bullistics go they are just simply facts, nothing more.

Motor

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    Maybe it came from when I worked in a gun dept and the people that lived by the .270 that formed my opinion.
    That's kind of the way I feel about the 7mm Rem Magnum.