Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .270 wcf

Boolit Buddy
    I've got both. The .30-06 has been a go-to gun for years while the .270 made it to the range one time and has lived in the cabinet ever since. It does nothing the .30-06 can't do. As far as being a "flatter" shooter I guess the answer to that is yes but only by a few inches. Not enough to make any difference in most hunting situations but the advocates will swear up and down it's a game changer.
    Shoot either one you like they will both drop game, really there isn't enough difference between the two to worry about. I don't "hate" the .270 but I wouldnt say I like it either. Why? Simply because I'm stocked up on loaded ammo as well as components for the -06.

Banned

I think your tape recorded my opinion and posted it, Jack O'conner and all tweed jacket wearing blow hole
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    Does anybody else HATE the .270 as much as I do. It is the WORST chambering ever and Jack O'Conner is a Commie. He even admitted on his death bed it sucked and he only got paid to endorse it! If you want anything smaller than a .30-06 get a .280 Rem. It does WAY better than the .270.

Boolit Master
    If anyone is interested, a good perspective about this subject was written by Chuck Hawks. The article is on page 10 of this newsletter. Also, explains a little about the "thing" between O'Connor and Keith
    http://www.jack-oconnor.org/pdf/Jack...arter-2014.pdf

Boolit Master
    much could be said for many out there. its up to what you like. I have a pre 64 win 70 in 270 and about 300 factory ammo
    do I hunt with it? NO but it will do the job same as a 30-30
    Remington has always been a copy cat and anything Winchester done they had to copy it the 280 was one.
    26-06? the 270 will do the same with a 120gr
    the 110s never worked in the win 70 but the 120s do
    go in any store in WV mountains during deer season and see if you can get a box of 280 or 25-06 bet NOT

Boolit Master
    Great points and storys guys! Keep them coming. But as a Woman loving AMERICAN I stilll can't see a use for the .270WCF.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    Great points and storys guys! Keep them coming. But as a Woman loving AMERICAN I stilll can't see a use for the .270WCF.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	046.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	127915

How about this?
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have JO'C's book and he states that he doesn't mind the 3006 or the 270 (he may have mentioned another calibre, but it has been awhile since I read it), but he found that the 270 had a slightly flatter trajectory. I have two 270s and two (at least) 3006 rifles, the 7mms have never really attracted me, but I'm sure if someone handed you a 270 or a 3006 or a 280 in the field, you wouldn't know which one you were shooting. As to bullet availability, there is plenty available in all of the calibres. Mould choice is a bit different, but there are still plenty available.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    When I first read this post I was so mad I just moved on before I said something as stupid as the original post. Now before somebody gets their panties all in a twist, I'm not accusing the OP of anything. I'm just saying the post itself was stupid.

Now that I've calmed down a bit, suffice to say that if you can't do the job with a 270 WCF, particularly on the NA continent, you probably couldn't do it with a 50 BMG! All things being equal, on any given day, a 270 WCF will do the job as well as a 280, 30-06 or 7mm MAG. It depends on the JERK on the trigger.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned

yup and a Toyota prius will do anything my buick does but I don't want one of them either.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup and a Toyota prius will do anything my buick does but I don't want one of them either.
    My point exactly. But if the Prius were my choice, which it's not by any stretch, it would get me there as quickly, comfortably and safely as the Buick.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd say it's a little UNAmerican to dislike a .270, which is very similar to cartridges that others somehow "like." If your coworkers "lived by" their .270's that must have been because it did very well by them.

To proselytize a .280 is greatly superior is just plain silly. The .270 was first and the general public quite correctly regards it as so similar to the .270 that they don't buy a .280 in preference to it...they buy what is equivalent and commonly available. Which is the .270.

You might actually dislike the .270 for some reason but there's no sense doing so when a "liked" cartridge shows no real benefit over the disliked one.

A pleasing recent trend is factory rifles standard with 24 inch barrels. A .270 can take advantage of the length increase despite what David Petzal says.

Jack O'Connor killed more game with this cartridge on four continents than most of us will ever see, much less hunt. I don't' recall him ever bad mouthing the 270 in any of his magazine articles or books. It will handle quite nicely gnats to Elk on this continent.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Banned

I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to think the 280 is vastly superior. If fact its so close to the same that no animal would ever know the difference in which hit it. But this is America and that gives us the right to dislike something even if we just don't like the look or sound of it. by the way a true American would use an 06. Nothing more American then a .30 cal.
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    I'd say it's a little UNAmerican to dislike a .270, which is very similar to cartridges that others somehow "like." If your coworkers "lived by" their .270's that must have been because it did very well by them.

To proselytize a .280 is greatly superior is just plain silly. The .270 was first and the general public quite correctly regards it as so similar to the .270 that they don't buy a .280 in preference to it...they buy what is equivalent and commonly available. Which is the .270.

You might actually dislike the .270 for some reason but there's no sense doing so when a "liked" cartridge shows no real benefit over the disliked one.

A pleasing recent trend is factory rifles standard with 24 inch barrels. A .270 can take advantage of the length increase despite what David Petzal says.

Boolit Grand Master
    There's a lot of cartridges it may be un American to dislike....and the .270 might be one of those because it originated right here in the USA and hunters made it popular. It didn't need any military help. Given this grassroots popularity that's as American as it gets.

The OP argued the 280 was superior which is really hard to prove.

Rifles come and go at my house but I haven't been without at least one 270 since 1969. I've enjoyed several other calibers also such as the old 22 varminter, 220 swift, 243, 6 mm, 7mm mag, 30-30, 308,30-06 300 Win Mag, 348, 7.62x39. 7.62x54R. 35 rem, 7tcu, 45-70 and there is more that I want to try. Still haven't had anything in 223, any of the Weathersby's, 338's. The nice thing about having a 270 is if you are taking someone on a hunt and they are not experienced it doesn't take them long to get up to speed with a 270. Just a good versatile gun that you can find ammo for. I started both of my Grandson's on my current 270 Winchester model 70 that I purchased new in 1987 for my wife. It was very accurate so we still have it. It is not my favorite for shooting Boolits.

Amazing! Two pages of replies to a Troll. Guess I might as well throw my 2 cents in the well. The first rifle I ever bought with my own money was a Remington 700 chambered in .270 Winchester. There's just so much DEAD a game animal can be and that .270 Winchester has always dropped my game in its tracks.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    Have you ever owned and used a 30-06' If you have not then I understand your opinion. Personally I never liked the .270 because as a deer rifle it can not do anything a 30-06' can do and typically kicks just as hard. The funny thing is it may even kick harder than a 06' or a .280 with some loads.

Opinion and hard recoil aside. It's as good as any in its class and as a hand loader there are more bullet choices now than ever before. Plus as someone else correctly stated new ammo is not hard to find.

Motor

This.

I love the '06. Still kinda scratch my head why the .270 has the following it does when it's such an oddball bore size that basically is the only one. Then the ammo scare after Obama hit. In our local Wal Mart, the only rifle ammo that was never completely sold out was .270.

I picked up an old Sears model 50 (I think, FN Mauser action, good rifle) in a trade for some other stuff. Not a particularly interesting gun to me, but ammo availability means it will stay in a corner until such time as I may need it and in the mean time it'll get shot now and then. It's not eating anything except a little space.

Given the choice, I'd take a .30-06 any day for any purpose over one, but it probably doesn't make one iota of difference performance wise for 90% of hunting.

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.
    I am sure glad I have a 45-70. Everybody likes them.

Banned

everyone here on a cast bullet site anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by onegunred View Post
    I am sure glad I have a 45-70. Everybody likes them.

Boolit Master

I always enjoyed reading Jack O'Conner's articles and books as a youth and I still have one of his books in my library.

As far as the 270 goes, I've got no issues with it and I really enjoy shooting and loading for it. My mold for it is the RCBS 270-150-SP.

What's not to like about this early Model 70 in 270 Winchester?
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 01-23-2015 at 12:43 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf