Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .270 wcf

Boolit Master

.270 wcf

Does anybody else HATE the .270 as much as I do. It is the WORST chambering ever and Jack O'Conner is a Commie. He even admitted on his death bed it sucked and he only got paid to endorse it! If you want anything smaller than a .30-06 get a .280 Rem. It does WAY better than the .270.

Boolit Master

dont own one, and dont hate it. ive used them to kill deer with and they work just fine.

280 Rem is better for reloading. There are a lot more 7mm bullets to select.
    The 270 is better for non-reloaders. Walmart carries 270 ammo.
    Other than that, it's not worth arguing the .007" diameter or the .005" shoulder difference.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master
    I always wondered how someone could 'hate' a cartridge. Is there something specifically wrong with it? It appears to serve its purpose of killing game animals well. I never understood the whole argument over it since my main hunting rifle for decades was a .25-06, and don't own a .30-06 or .280 and only recently bought a .270(only a box of ammo through it so far). This is kind of like going on a car forum and stating Ford sucks, just buy a Dodge if you don't want a Chevy.

Boolit Master
    Maybe it came from when I worked in a gun dept and the people that lived by the .270 that formed my opinion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    I always wondered how someone could 'hate' a cartridge. Is there something specifically wrong with it? It appears to serve its purpose of killing game animals well. I never understood the whole argument over it since my main hunting rifle for decades was a .25-06, and don't own a .30-06 or .280 and only recently bought a .270(only a box of ammo through it so far). This is kind of like going on a car forum and stating Ford sucks, just buy a Dodge if you don't want a Chevy.
    Have you ever owned and used a 30-06' If you have not then I understand your opinion. Personally I never liked the .270 because as a deer rifle it can not do anything a 30-06' can do and typically kicks just as hard. The funny thing is it may even kick harder than a 06' or a .280 with some loads.

Opinion and hard recoil aside. It's as good as any in its class and as a hand loader there are more bullet choices now than ever before. Plus as someone else correctly stated new ammo is not hard to find.

Motor

I'm not a particular fan, but in my limited experience it has been devastating on whitetails. I would love to find an 80 to 90 grain mould to try it on squirrels. Just for the fun of it.

Boolit Master
    I bought my .270 Savage 110 mostly for the action, left hand actions(especially local bargains) are not that common. I guess I would have even less reason to own one than the OP's reason since a .25-06 120gr is almost the same as the .270 130gr I am likely to use for deer hunting, especially when the .25-06 is in a sub MOA left-hand Sako AV. Once the new wears off the .270, it will probably become something else anyway.

In Remembrance

I have owned, shot, and reloaded the .270 since '83. I have killed everything from groundhogs out to 400 yards up to trophy Whitetails. Several songdogs have fallen to my .270. I load 90,110,130,140,150, and 160 grain bullets and ALL have very good accuracy. (1/2 inch at 100 yards with the 130 grainers.) It is second only to the 06 for lions in Africa. To each his own. What trips your trigger may make me sick and vice-versa.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Kinda like saying you don't like Reming.
    CDton so everyone should buy a Weatherby. I own 2 270's and both will shoot 1' at 100 when I do my part. I also reload for each, they never have let me down. I guess that is why they mfg. multiple calibers, so each to his liking
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    Maybe it came from when I worked in a gun dept and the people that lived by the .270 that formed my opinion.
    I`ll just bet that your "gun dept." was in a Kmart. Seems as there are an awful lot of dead animals that were taken with a .270 since the production start of it in the `30`s to make your argument as ridiculous as the way you presented it.Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    Have you ever owned and used a 30-06' If you have not then I understand your opinion. Personally I never liked the .270 because as a deer rifle it can not do anything a 30-06' can do and typically kicks just as hard. The funny thing is it may even kick harder than a 06' or a .280 with some loads.

Opinion and hard recoil aside. It's as good as any in its class and as a hand loader there are more bullet choices now than ever before. Plus as someone else correctly stated new ammo is not hard to find.

Motor
    I've been guilty in the past of denigrating the 270, in favor of the '06...

And then I got a 270.

Can't do anything better? How about shoot flatter. Maybe not in WV, but out west, shots can be LOOOOOONG!

Penetrates better with the same weight bullet.

Recoils harder? Not hardly...

My family eats game, due to the 270, maybe I should get something bigger, (still have the '06 in the safe), but dead elk don't lie...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I love my .270 and I have taken 33 whitetails with it. I just started casting for it very recently and haven't gotten to try my own boolits, but that is coming up very soon.

KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Nice looking boolits Beagle333. I have that Lyman # 280468 Loverin. Mine is the 122 gain version in a double cavity I bought for a song off Ebay a few years back. 14.0 grains of unique sends it along nicely. Old Lyman book list that at 1,875 fps but I've not clocked it. At 100 yards it shoots the same or better groups than full house jacketed loads. About 1 1/2". AS long as the wind don't blow. Bullets are cast BHN#9 and smack varmints with a pop. Also have the RCBS 150 gr SP. It shoots good over 20.0 grains of Rx7. Only tried the 150's cast hard. I prefer the little Loverin as it's cheep on powder and easy to load. No issues with powder position sensitivity with the Unique shotgun powder. I still have an unopened four pound can of it.

Bought my 270 back in the 1970's. Never had a reason not to like it. Even used to hunt Coyote with it using the 90 grain Sierra. Its' like a 22-250 on steroids. I did purchase a win M70 in 30-06 a couple years ago. I will keep both rifles, thank you very much. If I had to cut back to one I would keep the 30-06 with no hesitation however. Saying they do the same thing is moot. I use a simple load plan. For jacketed hunting stuff. The 270 gets the 150 grain soft points. After all why would I want to shoot 150 grain bullets from an 06 when I have a 270. My 30-06 gets bullets starting at 180 grain flat base Sierra Pro Hunter and up to the 220 grain RN PH. Just in case I ever go bear hunting again. Cast boolits start in weight at 180 grain HP from Mi Heck Then get heavier from there. 270 gets those little 122 grain rodent blasters. I may have more rifles than I need but I can't blame that on the 270 caliber.

Love Life
    While I don't currently own a .270, I have before and I did a whole mess of killing with that rifle/cartridge combo. It seemed about right to me and I plan to buy another some day.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think the OP tossed out this tweek just to get the conversation lively. The .270, especially after the advent of today's powders, is a mighty performer. Easy on recoil with the light, 130 gr bullets, and in the hands of a competent rifleman, humane to anything he shoots at.

Boolit Master
    Almost sounds like the OP has a case of cabin fever. Also interesting someone would have such absolute opinions having little or no experience with the cartridge.

Jack O'Connor used the 270 a lot if for no other reason than the small whitetails he hunted around southern Arizona. He equally liked other calibers such as the 30-06, 7x57, 375 HH, etc. It's nonsense to think someone was "paying" him to shoot or write about the 270. Given the superior bullets of today compared to those available to O'Connor, the 270 is even more effective today within it's range of capabilities.

Boolit Master
    The best shooting gun I own. Shoots 6 in groups at 500 yds. I use the 150 gr Nosler partition, the 110 does not do as well.

Boolit Bub
    With the 270's very fine throating angle vs. the 280 and 30/06, have to seat the bullet further out for decent engagement with leade, but the std /06 magazine limits the .270 COL just too short!

Shoot a Win 1885 (Browning) in .270 Win, and with correct setback, it's a game changer...

Don't bad mouth my favorite rifle!!

NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs