Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharps Hacked

Sharps Hacked

It appears C. Sharps has been hacked. I've tried going there two days now and each time it's a blank page except for the words "Kalu Paperz!!!" in the upper left corner.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Master

I too have been trying to access the site and it's been at least 4 days, I had "assumed" they were updating their site but I also wondered about that rather strange wording.

Boolit Man
    "Kalu Paperz" is Greek loosely translated means : Guns of the gods will return shortly....

Boolit Master

I called them, the web site is DOWN and the web master is working on it.
    If you have needs to speak, their phone is answered by a wonderful lady
    (406) 932-4353

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Mold

Stupid kids. And I'm not even old. I was just watching Shooting USA talking about Sharps rifles and while I honestly haven't searched them too well, I wasn't aware that this company even existed.

Figured I'd check out the site as I'm watching and it would figure... Glad I'm not the only one that noticed and that they're working on it.

How would you guys rank them as a Sharps rifle manufacturer among all of the other modern makers (Italian replica makers, etc.)? What are the prices like? My dream is to one day have a Sharps in .45-70 with a 32" octagon barrel, double set triggers, and a flip-up sight on the rear tang. I know Uberti makes the Buffalo Hunter model which seems like a winner to me and has been my dream rifle for some time. I just don't have that kind of $ to spend but it's at the top of my list for "someday".

A friend who wanted to start the BPCR game settled on a C. Sharps Highwall. Having shot his son's and my rifles, he knew what he wanted for sights and provided that information, in writing, when he placed his order. He picked up his new rifle and brought it to my place with the sights for installation. The front dovetail was cut way large.

On his way back home, he stopped at C. Sharps to discuss the situation. Sharps was full of excuses and instead of replacing the barrel or just cutting an inch off and recutting the dovetail, they gave him some inferior brand of front sight that uses proprietary inserts and sent him on his way. The friend has an unused and unneeded $150 Kelly front sight on his hands.

While I would give C. Sharps a #2 rating for quality behind Shiloh, their indifference to their error would keep me from ever owning one of their guns. Who knows what else they have screwed up and won't fix?

For what it is worth, Pedersolli Sharps are superlative rifles.
    Last edited by Dan Cash; 01-15-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Boolit Master

If you want a Sharps and can't justify the cost of an original then Shiloh would be first and C Sharps would be second. The two shops are just down the street from each other. Shiloh is hard to beat as quality and customer service goes. The CPA rifles are great also and customer service is top notch but they are a copy of a Stevens 441/2.

gmsharps

Boolit Buddy
    Pedersoli does a fine job.

Not the hand finish of one of the US makers, but the barrels and workmanship are fine. I bought one, a '74 Long Range, thinking I'd play with it to determine if I wanted to go with a US model at a later date, and several years later, still haven't ordered one...............

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spasmonaut View Post
    Stupid kids. And I'm not even old. I was just watching Shooting USA talking about Sharps rifles and while I honestly haven't searched them too well, I wasn't aware that this company even existed.

Figured I'd check out the site as I'm watching and it would figure... Glad I'm not the only one that noticed and that they're working on it.

How would you guys rank them as a Sharps rifle manufacturer among all of the other modern makers (Italian replica makers, etc.)? What are the prices like? My dream is to one day have a Sharps in .45-70 with a 32" octagon barrel, double set triggers, and a flip-up sight on the rear tang. I know Uberti makes the Buffalo Hunter model which seems like a winner to me and has been my dream rifle for some time. I just don't have that kind of $ to spend but it's at the top of my list for "someday".
    Both Shiloh and C Sharps produce fine rifles. Shiloh leads in quality and customer service (if needed)
    The only real choice of the Italian rifles are the Pedersoli's or pedersoli built guns (Uberti). But do not fall into the Italians are cheaper rut. Do your price checking carefully, it's not uncommon for a Shiloh or C Sharps to cost less than a pedersoli.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    For those that do not know this.
    Shiloh Sharps built the 3 rifles that were used in the movie, Quigley Down Under.
    I own 2 Shiloh's. They each are a work of art and the customer support is the best in the business.
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

Boolit Master
    I've got a number of rifles built by C. Sharps and a few by Shiloh. They are both very good but for an 1874 I'd go with Shiloh, however it really depends on what exactly you want and how much customization you'd like. I've generally found that the my Shiloh Sharps rifles have been easier to develop a load for, and are less picky about the bullets they shoot well. On the other hand, I find that the slightly thicker wood in the pistol grip area, on a C. Sharps, fits my hand better.

I really like my C. Sharps 1885 rifles, so for me, if I want a new Sharps I'll call Shiloh, and for an 1885 I'd call C. Sharps.

If you do some reading of older posts you'll find that this particular holy war has been fought in the past a number of times

Chris.

Boolit Mold

Yeah I can only imagine that it could be a Chevy versus Ford debate. The feedback I've picked up thus far appears to have merit. I won't deny that there are times where I have ignored the experiences of other folks just to test the waters myself, sometimes to pleasantly find it was worth the gamble. An 1874 is what I'm after to start and I like the customization you can get with Shiloh. I know I also want a trapdoor so I'll have to do some digging there to find out what the popular vote is and begin from there.

Not wanting to steal the OP's thread, although I am enjoying the responses, it appears C. Sharps has changed the site to acknowledge that they're working on it.

In Remembrance
    Lyman has a Sharps copy now, but I have not heard any reports on it....who makes it, price, quality of finish, accuracy, extras, etc.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Not a Sharps, but for accuracy in a league of it's own.

I hope that's a small caliber with that crescent steel butt.
    NRA Patron Member

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
    That butt is only a problem when shooting prone ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I had a 45-90 with a butt like that and it beat me severely but, I shot mostly from the bench.
    NRA Patron Member

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    A friend who wanted to start the BPCR game settled on a C. Sharps Highwall. Having shot his son's and my rifles, he knew what he wanted for sights and provided that information, in writing, when he placed his order. He picked up his new rifle and brought it to my place with the sights for installation. The front dovetail was cut way large.
    As far as I know, Kelley sights can only be purchased through Buffalo Arms Co. Therefore, if C. Sharps was asked to supply Kelley sights with a new rifle, they would need to order them in from BACO.

The Kelley globe sights are made with dovetails of 3/8", 7/16", and .450". The standard C. Sharps dovetail cut is 7/16".

If your friend provided a link to the Kelley globe of his dreams, it stands to reason that C. Sharps would have ordered that one (for him).
    If his link went to a sight with a 3/8" dovetail ( this one http://www.buffaloarms.com/kelley_fr....aspx?CAT=4091 ), he made his own problem by not learning what he needed and ordering direct from BACO.

If it does have a 3/8" dovetail, it wouldn't do much good to ask C. Sharps to shorten the barrel and cut a new dovetail ... if they don't dovetail cutters that small in their shop.

The Smith Enterprise sight that C. Sharps would have offered as a substitute is well made, and uses the very common Sharps-style inserts ... which come in a variety of shapes far outnumbering the typical Lyman 17 inserts used in the Kelley globes. Additionally, Sharps inserts are available from almost every source of globe sight used on BPCR rifles.

Yeah, a mistake was made when your friend acquired his rifle.
    But, it doesn't look to me like the mistake was made by C. Sharps.

And, in case it looks like I am partial to the C. Sharps brand ... I shoot a Pedersoli.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    It is in .45-70 and a 1877-78 era JM Marlin Ballard #5 Pacific. I only shoot it with BP and the recoil poses no problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    Not a Sharps, but for accuracy in a league of it's own.

Nice old Ballard