RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .450 Marlin in 1895 - what to do?

Boolit Grand Master

May want to check the Swap & Sell section, we have a few vendors who sell boolits. Trust me tho, there are few feelings better than casting your own boolits...until you take your boolits hunting and bring home some meat.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I am loading for a 45-70 and also could not find lead .458 cal. bullets that I liked. They were to small, or to hard, or bevel based, or the lube was to hard, etc. I have 2 molds both from RCBS, 45-405 fn and the 45-300 fn. I had the 405 grain hollowpointed so now I have 3 bullets to feed it. I use 50-50 moly-beeswax lube on everything I cast for.
    Last edited by stubert; 01-19-2015 at 09:32 AM.

I used to cast SWC for my .38 and .357 pistols and rifle years ago -- that's all the experience I have with casting bullets. I do recall being pretty proud of myself for the low cost .38s I could load. I am watching the S & S section and have been given some guidance what to look for in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    May want to check the Swap & Sell section, we have a few vendors who sell boolits. Trust me tho, there are few feelings better than casting your own boolits...until you take your boolits hunting and bring home some meat.
    I will probably buy this first batch of bullets in bulk and by the time the first buy is gone I'll have acquired what I need to be casting again. I do hope reading the posts in the forum will get me to a good choice first purchase so I don't end up with dozens of molds and difficulty making my choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubert View Post
    I am loading for a 45-70 and also could not find lead .458 cal. bullets that I liked. They were to small, or to hard, or bevel based, or the lube was to hard, etc. I have too molds both from RCBS, 45-405 fn and the 45-300 fn. I had the 405 grain hollowpointed so now I have 3 bullets to feed it. I use 50-50 moly-beeswax lube on everything I cast for.
    Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.
    RAH

Boolit Grand Master

I used to cast SWC for my .38 and .357 pistols and rifle years ago -- that's all the experience I have with casting bullets. I do recall being pretty proud of myself for the low cost .38s I could load. I am watching the S & S section and have been given some guidance what to look for in this thread.-scaevola

A good hunting boolit is no more difficult to cast than a SWC target boolit. Dunno here the Nike icon has gotten off to so all I can say is "just do it!"
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Trying to buy a decent cast 45-70 boolit is what brought me here; I wasn't able to do it. I know they're out there but I spent a fair bit of cash but it was a waste of time and money. Save up for a pot and a good mould or two, you'll soon be casting better boolits than you can buy.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476...ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/363...ProductFinding

these will get you started in as inexpensive a fashion as is possible I betcha. the pot will require a dipper and that boolit has done very well in just about any .458 to .460 diameter rifle ive tried it in. like is mentioned ... just step into it and give it a whirl ... these prices will allow you to get your feet wet without breaking the bank ... then just watch your cash go away when the addiction really sets in.

Thanks bigted, that's the kind of information I'm looking for. Just a few boxes of factory ammo or bullets replaced by handloads will cover the cost your recommendations.

My dies arrived today; they look new or barely used, not bad for a $25 buy it now on GunBroker. I found a box of the same Hornady 325 grain bullets that were in the box of factory ammo I bought. That will be me my first experience with reloading this cartridge.

I still need to order some brass, right now I've only got 20 cases.
    Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.
    RAH

Banned
    As someone said the 450 is not to use 458 brass. The belt is different.

The 450 loads to higher pressure than 45-70 & will therefore shoot somewhat faster, not that it would make a lot of diff in killing.

I like the FTX 325 Hornady & 350 Hornady in Factory ammo. In cast mine shoots various HPs & solids from 315-425 well. I have settled on those in that 325-350 range of the factory loads since they all shoot well, will kill anything in N. America & are easy shooting. Several powders work well find what works in yours. I know were talking about cast but that 325 FTX is really a great bullet! I think I've cronied it at 2250 & MOA.

Quote Originally Posted by scaevola View Post
    Thanks bigted, that's the kind of information I'm looking for. Just a few boxes of factory ammo or bullets replaced by handloads will cover the cost your recommendations.

My dies arrived today; they look new or barely used, not bad for a $25 buy it now on GunBroker. I found a box of the same Hornady 325 grain bullets that were in the box of factory ammo I bought. That will be me my first experience with reloading this cartridge.

I still need to order some brass, right now I've only got 20 cases.
    Scaevela if you want full house/pig snort/tree stumper loads with those 325's try H322 powder if you have some.

I have loaded up to 51gr of that powder with the Remington 405 bullet and they will most certainly get your attention when you touch one off.

I shoot dialed back rounds now (350 cast bullet around 1700) and use 30 grains of SR4759 for propellent.

EDIT: just realized I already listed this data earlier in this thread.

Boolit Grand Master

EDIT: just realized I already listed this data earlier in this thread. -Ole

Hate it when that happens, but good info nonetheless.