RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C. Sharps

C. Sharps

I am goning to buy a C.Sharps 1874 in 45-70 2 1/2 " It's a 28" carbine model and i would like to save the powder burning and lead chucking for meat , so does anyone have a proven load in the barrel length??? Any help would be apreciated.

hog
    Scout,plan,execute, repeat

45-70 is 2.1 inches long. 45-90 is 2.4, and 45-100 is 2.6. Before you buy it, make sure what cartridge it is chambered for and if you can get cases or you are going to have problems.

-Nobade

Boolit Master

I shoot anywhere from 68 to 73gr of Old Eynsford under a Lyman Postel boolit depending on range and they all shoot good enough to hunt with. Nobade has a point about case length but if it is a 45-70 that is good enough to hunt anything in North America with BP. Anything bigger is going to produce a lot of needless recoil unless you are planning on trying to shoot beyond 300yd.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If it is a 45-70 then go with 68 grs of Olde Eysnford 2f , .030 fiber wad and the saeco 645 seated to the driving band.
    If it's a 45-90 81 grs of Olde Eysnford 1.5 , a .060 fiber wad , the lyman postel (or other bullet at 530ish grs.) seated to the driving band.
    Br-2, or Remington large rifle primers .
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

What game are you planning on hunting, and at what ranges? Game and range will determine bullet selection. Also knowing the rifling twist in the barrel will help with selecting the bullet. Bullet moulds are available in 45 caliber from 300 grns to 550 grns. I shoot several diffrent bullets in my 45 cal rifles In grease grooved bullets the lyman 510 grn round nose and the 535 grn postell and a brooks normally 500 grn paper patched but this mould is adjustable for length also. It will adjust from around 375 - 575 grns. As I shoot longer distances ( out to 500 yds) I perfer the longer heavier bullets. Work up your load with the chosen bullet starting with no air space or compresion of powder and work up in 2 grn increments ( this is with true black powder) . Use a good lube ment for black powder. Keep bullets on the sodter side I use 20-1 alloy but others have gotten good results with 20-1 or 16-1 some even 40-1. With a correctly done paper patched bullet and grease cookie lead can be pure even. Softer alloys tend to work better in these rifles. The SPG manual gives alot of good information. Loading and shooting paper patched bullets a beginners guide by Randolph S. Wright also gives alot of great information on working up loads and shooting. Not just what by also how and why its done. Both are very good for someone starting out.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    I am goning to buy a C.Sharps 1874 in 45-70 2 1/2 " It's a 28" carbine model , does anyone have a proven load in the barrel length?
    I would love to provide some advice, hog, but I don't know anything that would apply to your carbine very well.

The Army used 55 grains of powder and a 405 grain bullet for that gun ...

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    I had an 1886 in .45-90 and shot .45-70 in it with BP and 500 grain boolits seated out, it was very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    45-70 is 2.1 inches long. 45-90 is 2.4, and 45-100 is 2.6. Before you buy it, make sure what cartridge it is chambered for and if you can get cases or you are going to have problems.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    I am goning to buy a C.Sharps 1874 in 45-70 2 1/2 " It's a 28" carbine model and i would like to save the powder burning and lead chucking for meat , so does anyone have a proven load in the barrel length??? Any help would be apreciated.
    hog
    Plenty of "proven" loads out there. The M1874 Sharps from C Sharps should be a very fine rifle. But as has been posted, 2 1/2" is not a 45-70. And a 28" barrel is not exactly a carbine.

No matter what the cartridge is or what the gun is called, just use FF black, compressed about .1-.2" with a fiber card wad or two, add a fairly soft cast 400-425 grain cast bullet, with soft BP lube, sized from groove diameter up to about +.001" over groove diameter seated out so front drive band (or major nose ogive barely engraves lands), don't add a crimp, and shoot on a target to see how it does.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 12-10-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    Risking more nitpicking, the carbine is 21 inch barrel length. your barrel weight and actual leength will also determine your range.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

That 28 inch "carbine" is just C Sharps version of a business rifle. Lots of folks have rifles built with 26 and 28 inch barrels. I have a Hartford that left the factory in 1872 with a 26 inch heavy contour barrel.

I miss typed some facts it is indeed a 2.1" and the barrel length is 26" not 28, I guess all those rifles i looked at ,fired and admired got the old memory confused. Thanks to those who gave some great loading info. I will hunt Elk, Hogs,Bear,Deer,Coyotes and ,Big Foot if he shows up again. As for range its up to the game, but i suspect a well placed cast boolit will do the trick at the ranges reasonable in hill country.

Aah, that makes more sense! Yep, you have been given some good loads above - hard to beat a bullet about 400gr. and powder charge about 70 gr, and just experiment to find the best combination for accuracy and ease of use.

-Nobade

For mostly hunting and plinking I'ld suggest a 405 gr bullet over 70-72 grs of 2f.

You also might want to cast your chamber and determine what case length you will need. My Pedersoli 2.1 has a really long chamber so I ended up buying 45-90 brass and trimming those down to fit the long chamber.

Boolit Bub

500 grn gov. bullet, sized .459-.458 (my lubes) 70 grns FFg Kik, Dump in or drop tube, card wad over powder (I like honey nut cheerio's boxes) win case, (slightly open flash holes) Compress powder(with wad over it) untill thier is enough room to thumb bullet in place, seat bullet and crimp, (don't be stingy either, put a real crip on it irregardless of the powder/bullet you choose to use) Load should kick out around 1225 to 1250 fps over a Chrony. (Load with smokless for gopher hunting plinking rounds) We normally trim min leangth, (make them all the same ) and shoot to adaquate streach, however huntrick64 may not have a bad idea since finding 45-70 has been like doing your own dental work.
    the Lee Trapdoor Carbine .405 grn pill has more felt recoil, and kicks like a mule, (I shoot it, and have a mold, acceptable recoil with 65 grn FF) I have allso had 1,200 lbs of buffalo not go down with 405's, had to shoot it twice, and she went about 75 yards, worrisome, we only about 75 yards apart.
    30:1 or 20:1 lead, stay away from the hard stuff especially with BP, it will lead your bbl.
    *I would suggest Spence Wolf's book on shooting the 45-70 Trapdoor,
    Just remeber, when it comes to tossing lead, C. Sharps, Shiloh, Roling block, Win, Uberti, ect... a 45-70 is a 45-70 I use the loads in a Rem. Rolling block, the guns change but the cartridge is the same irregardless what rifle it is fired from.....However not all the rifles that will fire a 45-70 cartridge are equal.

enjoy your new rifle, I have one my wish list, don't think Santa is bringing me one this year though, I think he is still mad at me over reindeer hunting on the front lawn last year.

Boolit Bub

oops,, for got some thing,
    I got to play some over at the Q. (didn't compeate) my carbine has a 22' bbl, I could consecutivley hit the 600 yd target, I shot all around the 825 Buff. My velocities were only 1175 fps,,, by buddies Infantry Trapdoor through the load I just posted @ 1250, (you need 1,200 fps to get to the 825 with acuracy.
    your 28" leangth is more than adaquate, Sharps originaly made unting rifles in 26 and 28 inches (even the 45 2 6/10 <45-90> )and considered a 30" bbl as a target rifle.
    I have an itch to try a 45-2 6/10 out of a 26" heavey octagon bbl...and a 45-70 out of the 26, 28, and 30" leanghts with the same load over the chroney ( I am looking the optimum bbl leangth, for velocity ) I would be very interested in knowing how the load I listed chonied out of your rifle.

When the weather breaks and i can get my buddy ( he has a crono) out of hibernation ( originaly from S. Cal. ) i will post vels,and group sizes. In the mean time this Sat. is the last day of regular rifle season in Pa. and after some short range time with a 405 grn rnfp bullet atop 70 grns (c) of ffg i wll try to nail a buck with it. The groups shot in a snuff can cirle at 75 yards , i adujusted the sights to break the top line of the circle and that should put me dead on at 100 to 125. If im in the right place at the right time you'll see the pics. Thanks again for all the info, it will be tried and tested.

Boolit Bub

Good luck in the woods, I grew up in WV, trust me, starting loads with smokeless, and 305 grn fn cast bullets will ruin the day for a white tail!! took several with an 45-70 carbine back thier with with starting loads for a trapdoor. More than adequate in the eastern woods.....of course your missing out if you don't try that real BP load, it is adequate for all North American game ranging from chipmunk to Buffalo. Chipmunk are just harder to hit.
    Happy hunting

Boolit Bub

Hey Boss,

How did that last day of deer season go? Sounds like you put together a nice load...Did you get to try it out on Mr. Whitetail?
    If you did , I'll bet you liked it better than he did ! lol

I found out tonight the website is back up and running.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs