Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: artic air

In Remembrance
    LOL, It got up close to forty out in the hills. Way too warm, as the ice was wet and so slick you had to be careful you didn't bust your backside getting in and out of the truck.

Boolit Buddy
    I am always amazed by the t.v and radio "news" doom and gloom criers. They are always predicting disaster from weather and storms. Then, when nothing happens they sound disappointed and have to run clips of past disasters that they blew up out of porportion. I am watching less as time goes by.

Boolit Master
    Thought I heard the weatherman say the U.P. in Michigan had 42.5" of snow!? Hope I heard it wrong and maybe that was a record for this date. Because the clippers just bring that stuff down here.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    Wallenba my brother in Copemish/Cadillac area say they only have an inch or two on the ground. Flying there tomorrow to go deer hunting on Saturday and rest of the week. I have spent too much time in So.Cal to want cold weather. A little bit of fresh snow helps see deer and makes for good tracking. 42.5 ' is absurd. I left Houghton for So.Cal because they had over 300" of snow in my senior year.

Boolit Master

It's currently 37F here and my wife thinks that I should change over from air-conditioning to heating since it was 70F in the house. Just had a new high efficiency unit put in this summer. Set the controls to heating and no warmth. Went up in the attic to look at the unit and the installer had not even closed up the unit and had left some parts just sitting in there. I'll end up contacting another guy to fix it since the last company was a bit ethically-challenged and the installer's work ethic was seriously lacking.

i put a cast iron griddle on my gas burner in the kitchen and a small desk fan blowing the warmth from the kitchen to the rest of the house. It didn't take that long to get the house up to my target temperature of 75F, so being without heating is a minor inconvenience at most.

Cold weather reminds you that you are alive............. I can tollerate the cold, it's the wind that comes with it that is the bitch around here. You can go from freezing your butt off to sweating just by getting out of the wind. Sometimes it makes it hard to dress for winter activities. I have shoveled snow at -10 and no wind in nothing more than a light shirt and the next day at the same temp but a 15 mph wind had to put 4-5 layers on and still barely kept warm.

Nothing is as exhilerating as taking a dump in the woods at -20... I guarantee you there are no magazines being read in the process....

Boolit Master

-1 at 6 this morning with no wind. Really nice out. Wore only a light jacket while feeding the barn cats. Wind will come up this afternoon so it won't be so nice then.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Grand Master

I'm on a roof and it's currently 45 w/ a light wind. Put my thermals on for the first time this year. Looks like it's going to snow but that won't happen. It's a comfortable day to be working on a roof.

Boolit Master
    We are glazed with ice in my part of Oregon. I would rather have snow to hunt in than this garbage.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Wallenba my brother in Copemish/Cadillac area say they only have an inch or two on the ground. Flying there tomorrow to go deer hunting on Saturday and rest of the week. I have spent too much time in So.Cal to want cold weather. A little bit of fresh snow helps see deer and makes for good tracking. 42.5 ' is absurd. I left Houghton for So.Cal because they had over 300" of snow in my senior year.
    Not 42 1/2 feet, LOL, 42.5 inches. Feet would be absurd. But 42 inches in 24 hours can happen up there. (Cadillac is in lower peninsula)
    Last edited by wallenba; 11-13-2014 at 04:11 PM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    I don't know about the rest of you in various locations, but the local air NBC weather idiots and the jerks on the other air TV channels I use here in central Kentucky have been getting further and further away from actual reality in terms of their forecasts and our actual weather. Seems like about 15-20 % off, always on the negative side depending on the season. Hot, cold, wet, dry, windy, whatever the attribute might be.

What they guess for tonight's low will be off noticeably from tomorrows reality. Some of the old timers look like they are having internal problems spouting that forecast ****. And besides, the current "your" weather talk is silly, to cap it off.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

We got down to -24 with -40 wind chills. not much snow either.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Love Life
    Went out and smoked in a t-shirt. I briefly thought about putting a hoodie on, but didn't want to get shot.

Moderator Emeritus

Went to get mail, 13 degrees, nice 15mph breeze, I tossed my coat on! Even then the cold cut through it with the wind. Need to add a liner I guess.

First winter burning corn in this stove, pellets were cheaper last year. Using a 5 gallon bucket of corn a day right now or about 35 pounds. Not to bad for heat at around $2 a day
    Last edited by MaryB; 11-13-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Funny how weather seems to be reversed in Alaska, if we get a cold winter, you get a mild one, if it's cold down South it's mild up here. We've had a week of temps in the 40's and the little bit of snow we got has melted off. It's unusual to have bare ground in November.

I guess it's my fault, I got two new pairs of skis last year, a guaranteed way to get a mild winter.

Moderator Emeritus

3.9 degrees right now, way to early for deep cold!

Boolit Grand Master

25 when my alarm went off at 5am. I rolled back over instead of going to sit in my treestand. Below freezing and archery don't go hand in hand for me :laugh:

Boolit Master

Got up this morning and the temp outside was 18 degrees. A bit too cold for me. Listened for gunshots all morning didn't hear any. After hunting in my shirtsleeves a few times, I made arrangements to use a walk in cooler to hang my deer in. Don't think I'll need it this year. Supposed to get some snow tonight or tomorrow, have not tracked deer in the snow in in years, should be fun.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Moderator Emeritus

I need gas meters to be turning to do my winter work. This Tues and Wed were single digit highs and I got a lot done.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze