Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Dual Caliber

Boolit Mold

Dual Caliber

Has anyone built a dual caliber take down lever gun? I have a 45/70 Marlin with a damaged barrel I picked up for a song. I was thinking along the lines of a 45/70 in a shorter barrel for hog hunting in brush (any up close work for that matter) and a longer barrel set in .33 WCF (.338) for game in open country. One receiver and two barrel sets. Sets to include barrel, mag tube, and forearm.

The first .33 WCF casses were formed from surplus 45/70 brass so the bolt face and ejection in a 45/70 gun is the same as the .33. Other than the cartridge carrier is there anything else inside the frame that would have to be swapped to switch back and forth?

Boolit Master

I have done take down conversions on a couple Winchesters and one Marlin and your idea has merit. I don't know what would need to be changed for internals but your rifle may feed both cartridges fine.

The take down is not difficult to do, but does require some precision machining. The system I use is adapted from an article in an old NRA gunsmithing book. The receiver is faced flat where the barrel and magazine tube enter. The barrel shoulder is turned about 1/2" forward to allow the interface block to be pressed onto the barrel. This block locates the barrel and magazine tube and allows the magazine to slide fore and aft. The other major component is the magazine plug, which contains a spring loaded plunger that snaps into the front barrel band to lock the whole deal together.

In use, the magazine plunger is depressed to clear the barrel band and the magazine tube is pulled forward about an inch, then the barrel assembly is unscrewed from the receiver. Screw the barrel in till the interface block is secure to the receiver than push the magazine back in place to return the rifle to service.

Boolit Bub
    Why would you need to change the carrier?

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have the Second edition of the NRA Gunsmithing book and have read the article you mention.

sneakybuffalo, the carrier would need to be swapped out as the .33 WCF is a longer loaded OAL compared to the 45/70

Boolit Master
    I have seen a few original Winchesters with interchangeable barrels. one had a barrel in .25 , .30 and .38 . another had a carbine and rifle barrel in .30-30.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Boats View Post
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have the Second edition of the NRA Gunsmithing book and have read the article you mention.

sneakybuffalo, the carrier would need to be swapped out as the .33 WCF is a longer loaded OAL compared to the 45/70
    Couldn't you just use the carrier for the .33 for both?

And what about the extractor?

I'm not familiar with the 45-70 and the 1895, but I'm very familiar with the work of those on Marlin Owners in regards to increasing the COAL possible in the 336/444 action.

Boolit Mold
    When it comes to OAL and lever guns too short is just as bad as too long. When we are under the minimum for the caliber then the cartridge on the carrier can allow the next round to come out of the mag tube far enough to jam the carrier.

I would not expect an extractor issue but anything is possible.

Little Boats,
    I make a kit to convert Winchester 94s, Marlin 94s, and Marlin 336s to takedown. I converted my Marlin 94 Cowboy Limited (I think) .45 Colt with a 24 inch octagon barrel to takedown. Of course if you get a long barrel rifle you immediately which you had a short barrel one (or the other way around). So I bought some of the same barrels from Numrich Arms. I cut one down to 16+ inches, put a conversion kit on it and I had a dual barrel rifle of the same caliber.

A very good friend of mine had a Marlin 94 in .44 mag with a 20" barrel. As soon as he saw my Trapper length gun he had to have a short barreled one too. So we converted his .44 to take down and shortened it to 16 + inches. Well, he had only had the short barreled rifle about a month before he starts thinking that maybe a longer barreled rifle is better. We looked and could not find a long .44 mag barrel. So, he's looking at the extra .45 Colt 24" barrels and says, "Too bad one of these wouldn't fit on my .44." This is where a little light bulb icon appears above my head. I got some dummy .44 mag rounds and ran them through my .45 Colt. They fed fine. I then tried some primed empty .44 cases. They fired fine in the .45 Colt barrel. I then pulled both .44 and .45 apart and examined the bolt assembles. They looked identical except for the extractors. A different style, but pretty much the same critical dimensions. .44 and .45 brass would slide into either of the bolts. I put his bolt into my gun. It functioned fine. I went to the range and ran some .45 Colts through my rifle using his .44 bolt. Worked fine.

So to cut the story short. I fit a .45 Colt takedown barrel to his .44 mag action. Worked great. Change barrels and change ammo; go shoot.

Here's a link to the first takedown conversion. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...p/t-95183.html
    or go to my website at www.doughtyent.com.

I am working on a conversion kit now for the Win 92s. When that is done I'm thinking about a .45 Colt necked down to .375 or .338. And then there's the .45 ACP.

Life's too short.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Doughty View Post
    Little Boats,
    I make a kit to convert Winchester 94s, Marlin 94s, and Marlin 336s to takedown. I converted my Marlin 94 Cowboy Limited (I think) .45 Colt with a 24 inch octagon barrel to takedown. Of course if you get a long barrel rifle you immediately which you had a short barrel one (or the other way around). So I bought some of the same barrels from Numrich Arms. I cut one down to 16+ inches, put a conversion kit on it and I had a dual barrel rifle of the same caliber.

A very good friend of mine had a Marlin 94 in .44 mag with a 20" barrel. As soon as he saw my Trapper length gun he had to have a short barreled one too. So we converted his .44 to take down and shortened it to 16 + inches. Well, he had only had the short barreled rifle about a month before he starts thinking that maybe a longer barreled rifle is better. We looked and could not find a long .44 mag barrel. So, he's looking at the extra .45 Colt 24" barrels and says, "Too bad one of these wouldn't fit on my .44." This is where a little light bulb icon appears above my head. I got some dummy .44 mag rounds and ran them through my .45 Colt. They fed fine. I then tried some primed empty .44 cases. They fired fine in the .45 Colt barrel. I then pulled both .44 and .45 apart and examined the bolt assembles. They looked identical except for the extractors. A different style, but pretty much the same critical dimensions. .44 and .45 brass would slide into either of the bolts. I put his bolt into my gun. It functioned fine. I went to the range and ran some .45 Colts through my rifle using his .44 bolt. Worked fine.

So to cut the story short. I fit a .45 Colt takedown barrel to his .44 mag action. Worked great. Change barrels and change ammo; go shoot.

Here's a link to the first takedown conversion. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...p/t-95183.html
    or go to my website at www.doughtyent.com.

I am working on a conversion kit now for the Win 92s. When that is done I'm thinking about a .45 Colt necked down to .375 or .338. And then there's the .45 ACP.

Life's too short.
    Very cool. I just got a 336. Maybe I should have this done.