Load DataWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 action fired when the saftey was switched to fire.

Banned

Remington 700 action fired when the saftey was switched to fire.

My friend just purchased a 338 win mag with a Remington 700 action hardly used, looks like it just came from the box.
    Saw an elk got in position to shoot switched off the safety and BOOM! His thumb that switched off the safety got a gash in it from the recoil.
    I think I remember hearing something about the 700 action doing that some time back.
    Is this something that there is a fix for?

That isn't a good thing!

Boolit Master

I want to say yes but I don't remember more than that, I'm sure a google search would pull up what you are looking for.

Boolit Grand Master

Banned
    Thank you, I'll pass this on.

If you search it good enough, you will find that the Remington 700 has a long history of a poorly designed trigger that will accidently discharge. Numerous incidents reported and lawsuits filed. You will also find that Remington has a long history of deny the trigger is at fault. Best bet is to replace the trigger with a after market one to cure the problem.

Boolit Master
    The problem was, or still is I guess, compounded because on the earlier guns you had to take the safety off to load or unload the gun. Load the gun and close the bolt and it would fire or push the safe off to unload and unexpected boom.

Most that I have heard of were either "adjusted" by the owner or dirty.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Most that I have heard of were either "adjusted" by the owner or dirty.

Yep.

The worst design 'flaw' in a 700 trigger is that it was designed by a gun designer, not a lawyer. It's capable of being adjusted very well by someone who knows what they are doing, and capable of being adjusted dangerously by someone who does NOT know what they are doing.

Did the guy get a second shot at the elk?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Send it in on the recall, or have the trigger switched out. I know of two people who were accidentaly killed because of this.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Mike Walker designed the predecessors, objected to the 700 trigger design and testified against Remington in many a law suit. It was a flawed design and as an engineer, he knew it.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Mike Walker designed the predecessors, objected to the 700 trigger design and testified against Remington in many a law suit. It was a flawed design and as an engineer, he knew it.
    Are you talking about the X-Mark being flawed or the old style Remington Trigger?

I find the old style Remington triggers a great buy at $45-$50 a pop over the cost of a Timney. I've owned both.

Boolit Master

Old-style. They are OK if all is well, but could have been safer with as much adjustability except for production cost engineering.

There's a reason Remington consistently loses lawsuits and is always in debt. A handful of lawyers have all the facts and M Walkers sworn testimony and just wait for the next "accident".
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

Check to see if there is sealant on the adjusting screws. I've had a few on my bench that had been tampered with and would fire when the safety is released.

There is a factory modification for the old style triggers that lock the bolt when the safety is applied. The safety levers on these triggers had a tab that protruded into the bolt when the safety is on, preventing the bolt from rotating. We just cut the tab off the safety, and then the bolt can be rotated and the rifle loaded/unloaded with the safety on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Yep.

The worst design 'flaw' in a 700 trigger is that it was designed by a gun designer, not a lawyer. It's capable of being adjusted very well by someone who knows what they are doing, and capable of being adjusted dangerously by someone who does NOT know what they are doing.

Did the guy get a second shot at the elk?
    Yep, he got him. A 5x5 bull.

Boolit Master

Good! I love happy endings. Elk in the freezer is always a happy ending.

Boolit Master
    Now the guy knows why he got a good deal on a barely used rifle. Some love those rifles, others dont. I have never owned one, friend has had several. I started out on Savage rifles and never saw a need for another brand. I have seen several videos on this subject. Of course Remington would say there has never been an issue, but hard to argue with the guy who designed the thing.

From what I have seen some guns its an operator issue, they adjusted something and now theres a problem. But also seems just dirt deep in the trigger mechanism can cause it to. Something your average owner wouldnt want to try and take apart to clean.

You can send the rifle back, I guess they do something. Or just save the effort and order an aftermarket trigger and move on.

Have your friend call Remington customer service they will email him a prepaid shipping label.

In Remembrance
    Replace the trigger with the new timney trigger. Comes with new style safety that locks the trigger. While it is fully adjustable, Do not adjust sear engagement. Clean engagement as is. Put one on my 700. The results were great as it came from Timney.

Boolit Master
    The only 700 triggers I personally know that fired when safety was pushed off were messed with by the owner. But if its a design flaw then you cannot argue with that.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    This is a known issue with some of the Remington 700s. Some years back, father shot son or son shot father (can't remember which) when rifle discharged without trigger being bumped or depressed. There was a televised documentary on Remington Arms Co. that covered this issue.

Crux of the matter, Remington engineer pointed out the danger, Remington didn't want to spend the money to fix it, innocent people died. We see this all the time from auto manufacturers; extremely rare from firearms manufacturers.

waksupi offers good advice.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789