MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opions

Boolit Master

Need opions

Just had a first for me. Was pulling some bullets and had a small detenation. Had the cartridge locked in the hammer style puller. Smacked it down on the small anvil I use and it went off. Blew the collet section off the tool and shattered the overhead lights.

I have no idea of what would cause this. The ammo is some old handloads I am pulling down.

Any ideas on what happened?

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

There have been reports like this from time to time. What type of primers (brand and rifle or pistol)? The thoughts are the primer receives enough energy that the anvil detonates the priming compound.

Boolit Master
    possible the primer wasn't seated all the way to the bottom?

Boolit Grand Master

May have been enough "inerta" to detonate the primer from the very solid bouce from hitting on an anvil. Older ammo may have been an overly sensitive primer from age or storage. Years ago components wernt as consitent as they are today. Old primers were a different compound also. The big thing is no one was seriously hurt or injured.

Boolit Master

my first instinct is that when the loads were assembled, the primer was crushed into place, thereby making the primer sensitive. using the inertia hammer with a sensitized primers=detonation.

Boolit Master
    The sensitive primer sounds possible. I know nothing about the ammo. Except it was reloaded,
    The only thing I am possitive about is that it scared me real well. Now have to get a new inertia puller.
    Also cleaning up the glass is always fun.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

Having broken an inertial puller a couple of times, I decided to just use an old single stage press for removing bullets from cartridges. The way that I use it though, the bullet gets damaged, so I only use this method on bullets that I can cast myself.

Boolit Master
    There's the pieces of on in a display case at the range I belong to. I'm starting to think I need a different setup for pulling ammo.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master
    I deprimed the case and the primer has intact priming compound. It looks to be shrunken somewhat. Under a 10x slide viewer.

I don't think the powder went off with full power. I think it would have done more damage and been louder.
    swamp

Boolit Master

I had a similar experience and like you I always use the anvil part of my vise. It didn't destroy my puller which I continue to use but if I need to pull more than one or two, I use the single stage press and side cutters.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Moderator Emeritus

I know it is not exactly related to your issue, but my overhead lights are the shop lights with tubes. I bought the plastic tube covers to help protect from an accident such as yours.

Boolit Grand Master

It happens. I believe the inertia pullers I use are designed to contain the results of a detonation and I make it a practice to not be over the open end when usiing it as that is where the energy will be directed. Shielded flourescent tubes sounds like common sense in a workshop situation. Those things scare me in a normal setting.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance

A friend also had a detonation that took out flourescent lights and damaged the impact puller. It is surprising that there is not more damage.

Boolit Buddy

If priming compound was "intact", it's any body's guess as to how the detonation occurred.

Whenever I need to use an inertia puller, I use a lead ingot, cast in a muffin tin, as the striking surface. My thinking is that the lead, being softer, won't create the sharp vibration/blow on impact that striking the steel flat of an anvil would. I can offer no proof that this is the case, just my 2-bits. I've yet to have a detonation, but there's always the next time...........!
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Boolit Master
    I am definetly getting the covers. I checked the primer under magnifacation and the compound was shrunken and there was corrosin on the anvil. They must be quite old. The powder in the others I had pulled was fine looking. Smells fine. Going in the garden.
    swamp

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Another good reason for using a full arm swing when using that type of puller.

IF something should go wrong your head and body will be a full arms length away from flying objects.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Old primers especially some match grade could be the culprit.

Boolit Master
    I was always fearful when using that thing, so I finally broke down and bought the RCBS collet puller die and a couple of collets for my most common calibers; i.e. 30 and 38 and 8mm.

Boolit Master

I am confused a bit are you saying the primer was still in the case?
    If so maybe there was a bit of powder in the puller that the bullet ignited which would start the powder that was under the bullet as it fell past it?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Yes, the primer was still in the case.