RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Spotting Scopes

Boolit Buddy

Thoughts on Spotting Scopes

I have gift card for Gander Mountain and am thinking about getting a better/larger spotting scope. I was looking at the Bushnell Custom Series 15-45x60 or one of the Barska scopes. Does anyone have any experience with these. Is there another one which is better? I would like one with the angled eye piece. Looking in the $100 - $250 range.

Thanks,

Bigscot
    Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, apologize to no one!
    -Ralph M. Lermayer-
    Editor of Predator Xtream

I've a barska 20-60, it's ok. It works fine for range duty, would leave you wanting more hunting in low light. Ours was only 60$ on clearance, I don't think I'd pay more for it either.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Grand Master

There are some very good spotting scopes out there. I have never used the Barska scopes but have seen them on the line. I have used bushnells at times. One thing to watch for is eye relief. The variable eyepieces can change eye relief with power changes making wearing glasses and using them difficult. I use the spotting scope not only to spot holes but to read wind with mirage when possible. Also bigger oblectives give a better view, more light and clarity. I recently purchased a set of clestron 25X 100mm observation binoculars that work great for spotting ajots in BPCR shillouettes. These are close to your price range were $300.00. On a solid tripod I can see .22 cal holes at 200-300yds depending on range and conditions. Look at them and compare them buy actyally looking at the same things in the store as far away as possible. I have used kowas and unertals for many years.

for long range target shooting we are using TV camera's now - I have a 90mm scope and you can't come close to the TV's at longer ranges - for Barska - I have several items and two things get the most use - I have a pair of mini binoculars and we use the LARGE/Heavy Barska 12-60 x 70mm Binoculars on tripod for closer range targets while at the range (300 and under).
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

What you'll want is to find a nice scope with at least an 80mm objective lens. That's the large end of the scope for us regular folk and it controls the amount of light that comes into the scope as well as provides a better level of resolution which allows you to have a bigger and clearer field of view than a smaller scope. . The magnification lens depends on your planned use. if you are scoping several hundred yards away across a valley than you'll want at least 45x or up to 60x on the max magnification. If you are looking at 100 yards at the range, a 20x will work fine. But I'll repeat the need for a larger objective lens. It will aid in low-light conditions as well.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I'd call those pricy as well.

Everyone read the last sentence of the OP's post? $100 to $250 price range.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Moderator Emeritus

With any spotting scope the bigger the front lens diameter the better it will perform in low light conditions, that is coming from my use of telescopes to view stars, bigger the scope the dimmer the stars you can see. For the range I have an elcheapo Harbor Freight spotting scope. If it gets knocked over or off the table no big deal. I do want to get a better spotting scope but was looking at one of the telescope manufacturers for it. http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/...6/p/103115.uts

Boolit Grand Master

If you get any scope in the 1-2 hundred dollar range you'll get what ya get. You really do want/need the best light transmission & clearest lens you can get, it does make a huge difference.

The majority of my experience with spotting scopes is Kowa, after getting I just never saw a need to look at any other scopes but they aren't in your stated price range. Sadly my Kowa was stolen so maybe I'll be looking for another.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    For a spotting scope in the 250 max range- most all will be about 250 worth of optics. Another way of saying you get what you pay for. A scope for the range is different from one for hunting- but then again that depends on if you are hunting on two legs or "hunting" on four wheels.

For 100 yard bullet holes, most scopes will do. For 300 yard small bullet holes, you'll need a good scope. That doesn't necessarily mean huge objective or 80X. Also, bigger scopes and higher powers require better tripods or mounts. Big, high power scopes at low prices will have lower quality glass and may yield poorer results than smaller, lower power scopes at similar price points.

Boolit Grand Master
    You get what you pay for.
    I have a Cabelas variable I started with. It is a decent scope but not the clearest or brightest. Once I bought my Kowa I wouldn't be without it. With a 27x eyepiece I can see holes better at 100 than I ever could with the Cabelas variable even at 48x.
    Sometimes it is more about light gathering than it is magnification.

This is a great place to spend a bunch and never regret it. I know I didnt.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

A fairly reasonably priced double duty spotting astronmical scopes are made by Meade they use telescope eyepieces which are cheaper than the ones for spotting scopes. Keep in mind higher magnification for longer distances mirage becomes a real issue seeing also.I have 2 Kowas a 25X77 long eye relief and a 28x82(?) long eye relief both will show bullet holes at 300 yds under normal conditions on a nrth facing range. Under very good conditions I could see 30 cal holes at 600yds with the 28X. My scopes are on the old freeland stands ( desighned for position shooting from offhand thru prone) and sit on the ground not on the bench, they also have a wind spike thats a big help in keeping them upright. Kowas are expensive Scope body, eye piece, and a stand but they are darn good and dependable. Mine have been carried jostled around for 20+ years and still going strong. Unertals are very good also. I have always wanted a 60X X1000mm unertal team scope but used I could buy a couple Kowas and make a set of binoculars LOL.

Moderator Emeritus

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt.mike View Post
    Kowa... or Unertl
    of course Unertl is pricy so here is a Kowa link

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/kowa-sp...FZc2aQodSHsAjA
    If yer goina spend that much fer a spottin scope, might as well get this. Then ya wouldn't need a spotin scope.
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/nightfor...r-reticle.html

I picked up a millet 6~25x56 on sale for $180.00. Didn't have anything to mount it to so I build a 223 ar with 24 " barrel and love it scope and gun. I can watch my boolit all the way to the 200 m line and see the holes in the paper. The only bad part is taking up 2 benches at the range to use it as a spotting scope.

Boolit Grand Master
    If they have them, check out Vortex.
    I've had one for a few years now with no problems at all.
    They have a great warranty. Great customer service.
    I would suggest you look for one with as much eye relief as possible.
    I had a Barska. Tasco is better.

Boolit Grand Master

Barska is junk. Worse piece of glass I've ever bought. Any of my rifle scopes are better even though they are lower power magnification. You get what you pay for so spend accordingly.

Boolit Master

There is something to be said for Burris's and Leupold Lifetime warranty that transfers from owner to owner. You can get a great spotting scope used from e-bay for what your going to pay for a lesser quality scope and if something goes wrong....they will stand by it. Also a selling feature if you want to upgrade/trade it out. Just a thought.

Boolit Master

I know a few people who have Kowia , there fantastic ! you can see bullet hole sharp past 300 yards.
    IMO look at a Nikon Kit about $450
    I have a Bushnell banner 20x in my BE shootin box and a Leupold wind river in 15x40 angled eyepeice, it lack's sharpness at 300 yards but bullet holes can be made out just not clear enough , wish i would of bought a better scope.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Bushnell Spacemaster from the early 1980s.
    it is excellent for range duty. it has the 45º angle removable eyepiece, mine is variable 15x to 45x and has a 60mm objective. I see many with removable fixed eyepieces that are 20x. You can find them on ebay once in a while for $100 or so.

I am curious if the newly made Bushnell's are as good, or even better ?

PS, I really like the 45º eyepiece. At the range, I setup the spotting scope on another bench, and generally walk over to it and stand while looking through it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001