Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a poll: how to? for separate AR Form....

You make a strong argument in favour of a dedicated AR sub-forum, Bruce.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Why is the always someone around here somewhere who wants to rock the boat?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    Why is the always someone around here somewhere who wants to rock the boat?
    Why do some want things to stay the same and never change? Just playing devil's advocate.

Here is what it boils down to in my eyes. An AR is not a military rifle but that's the closest forum in regards to what it is. An AR is not a factory rifle since a good bit of them are built from parts. I won't even get into the pistol builds. Maybe it just requires some forum name changes ? Military changes to semi auto and factory changes to bolt? AR style rifles are part of what's driving the firearm industry. They're what's brining a lot of younger guys into the hobby. How many of them will want to discuss cast is up in the air. But not all threads in the guns and shooting forum are about shooting cast. There are lots of picture threads and general question threads.

Boolit Master

Thank you,

I'm just trying to develop a proper "load" of reading on AR/MSRs for other members.

Bruce

P.S. On a personal note regarding on one of your quotes at the bottom of your Posts. My mother shared a birthday with your son. She was born in 1946 so she's a bit old now for birthday cakes or so she claims...

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    You make a strong argument in favour of a dedicated AR sub-forum, Bruce.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    moonie.
    there wasn't enough interest for anyone to pm me or to even really ask a question.

I wrote a 4 post dissertation on shooting cast at 2800 fps with accuracy on par with jacketed in the Ar rifles and got crickets.
    in fact there is a high velocity with accuracy thread running right now with about 4 participants and about 6 watchers.
    we can't garner any interest in the most complicated thing we do in our hobby [shrug]
    I have read every post on that thread with great interest... and I have never cast a rifle boolit...yet. I have nothing to post because I have no knowledge to contribute but find the thread very interesting.
    God Bless, Whisler

Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes the posts on loading for AR's disappear off the first page and I rarely click to the second. Having information in one spot would help a lot. Newbies with build issues could get answers, people looking to do upgrades could find opinions on add-ons or changes like a free float hand guard etc.

I've often glanced at AR threads and thought to myself that these enthusiasts would be well served with their own sub-forum. If a new member comes on and feels that way I think we should all take notice. It could be a great way to get new AR owners interested in casting and we do want to grow the casting community.

bruce drake has kindly volunteered his services so it would not be more work for the mods.

I personally think that it should be an AR specific sub-forum. I enjoy the military auto-loaders being part of the military rifle sub-forum.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 10-25-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I would like Thank Bruce again, for heading up my original post. On how too set up a poll on a new AR, MSR SemiAuto thread.

303Guy, my stepson was born on 06/01/1986 he passed on 06/26/2001. Due to a fall a cliff while we were camping.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like you want an AR civilian type sub-forum and all other semi-auto military style (or Modern Sporting Rifles) can go somewhere else. Are you going to disallow civilian calibers and only focus on 5.56 Nato? Will pistol caliber ARs be allowed to participate? How about early production ARs with solid stock and no picatinny rails or only those with 3.45 pounds of "accessories"? And of course, a sub-sub-forum for those using standard open sights and another for those using optics...

But, like I said in my first post on this subject, I'm in control of my mouse and only click on those threads I want to see and I don't have to moderate any...
    Last edited by mdi; 10-26-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

This is a cast boolit forum. The rifles you are talking about are indeed factory rifles. I don't see a reason to have its own sub forum when it already has one, the fore mentioned. We keep adding sub forums this will turn into a nightmare trying to decide where things should go. I have seen on other forums where one sub forum will have 4 or 5 moved threads every day. That just makes more work for the mods and frustrates a lot of others.

Andy

So we have some people here whom think an AR15 belongs in the CB Loads Military Rifles Forum and some think it belongs in Factory Rifles.(some end up in the regular Military Rifles too) That right there should give an obvious clue there might be a problem.

My AR15s are built from parts thus they don't belong under factory rifles. None are M4s or M16s so they really don't fall under military rifles but it fits that better than factory rifles I guess. It gets old scanning several forums to find stuff on ARs so I end up just saying screw it.(the search function is horrid and I have given up on it) What we currently have is broken IMO and we seem to have lots of people whom don't care to hear it.
    Last edited by dkf; 10-27-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

^
    What he said. I know I mentioned in one thread about how a simple forum name change might be the easiest route. Drop Military and make it the SemiAuto forum. That covers all your bases and drives traffic to one forum. But this will upset some. I hate the number of forums here almost as much as the dead/worthless stickies that take up a good amount of the first page. This is one case where I think it's warranted. There is a coating forum for some reason.

Boolit Grand Master
    The thing that trips up all these demands for a new forum is that there aren't that many topics being posted about cast bullets in AR's.

It's a numbers thing, pure and simple. A forum dedicated to cast bullets in AR's would resemble chirping crickets more than an active forum. Witness the air rifle forum here. If it wasn't a numbers thing the SKS's could have their own cast bullet subforum, as they were and are quite popular. And the AK's and '03's and 17's ad infinitum. All are likely as popular, if not more so, in terms of actual cast bullet usage than AR's.

The idea is to have some kind of tie in to the cast bullet thing. That's where it all falls apart.

To the comments dragon made earlier, I might point out that a great many military rifles are not semiautos. The Military Rifles moniker is more appropriate and covers the genre (and bases) much better. To call it the SemiAuto forum would leave some rifles out and, perforce, require yet another forum to cover all of them. Not an improvement.

If everything is scattered about it is harder to find thus less results. (What we have now) You don't even need a dedicated forum, maybe a subforum. God knows there is enough stickies at the top of every forum that are never removed it would not matter having a subforum up there too.

Why have a Cast Bullets Military Rifles forum when you could just put everything in Military rifles forum. Sorry I fail to see how it makes much sense to throw in modern semi auto rifles in with war relic bolt guns well over 100 years old. You have other forums here listed as action type but then lump a butt load of guns together that really don't have much in common with each other. I guess what I'll end up doing is just closing down everything but the group buy section in my browser and ignore the rest.

Moderator Emeritus

AR is not a military rifle anymore, it has been adapted to so many different uses and calibers that it really should have its own space. Factory rifles was one I saw as a suggestion, my AR is not a factory rifle, I built it to my specs for my needs.

Banned

I disagree DKF all parts you use to build it are production parts. IMHO this makes it a production rifle. I think a sub forum wouldn't be a bad thing but where does that end. We added so many forums since i have been here and i see so little traffic to them. Some only have one or two posters regularly. I still think it's a bad idea but ultimately it's not our decision. Has anyone contacted No_1 about this idea? I hope i don't offend anyone this is just my opinion.

Andy

Boolit Master

A couple years ago, I posted something about the AR in the military rifle section and I was immediately attacked about it not being a military rifle. Now, I frequently see questions about the AR in there. I haven't had any problem finding info on what I need with the google search function.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

I think some are over looking that not just cast bullets are discussed on these forums. I went to the single shot forum as one example. Questions about sights and about making a 9mm Handi. So why are these threads allowed if it's just about cast bullets? Because it's not. The forums are broken down in an odd manner. Some by action type, some by ammo type and some have a few thrown all together like all the handguns. Break it down by action type w/ a separate single rimfire forum and call it a day. Is there really a need for a separate load section just for military rifles? Seems like there would be more traffic if all loads were discussed in one forum. Just throwing ideas out there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    AR is not a military rifle anymore, it has been adapted to so many different uses and calibers that it really should have its own space. Factory rifles was one I saw as a suggestion, my AR is not a factory rifle, I built it to my specs for my needs.

Out of factory parts

Andy