WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noob gathering components & equipment

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselrealtor View Post
    I am in the learning process, have been reloading a while & bought the Lyman cast bullet handbook, have a little lead, Lee melting pot on order.

Thinking about the Lee molds as this will fit my budget for all my calibers & be readily available. I want some of the Mihec molds but they appear to be extinct (without a long wait), maybe in the future on the Mihecs.

I have read that when learning to cast the 2 cavity molds are better but I have a tendancy to "go big or stay home" with some things so the 4-6 cavity appeal to me more.

Thanks in advance, I have lurked here for a while & am a bit overloaded with info on this site.
    Almost all my molds are Lee and of those , most are 6 cavity in the calibers that Lee sells them .

Any time I get a lee mols , I scrub them well with an old tooth brush , tooth paste ( mild abrasive ) & warm water . Rinse well and let dry VERY WELL !

I turn my melting pot to 100% and pour bullets until they start coming out well . Turn the melting pot to " normal " and continue casting .

This seems to accelerate the " break in " process and I not have to break in do that mold again .

Warning , do not let the lead get too solid / hard , before you cut the spru . I made that mistake a couple of time and broke the cam that opens the sprue plate the first bit , on the 6 cavity molds .

The wooden handles will probably get loose , just mix up some J B Weld and glue the handles on . It seems to survive the heat just fine .

The 6 cavity molds are the way to go .

God bless
    Wyr

Banned

l say buy quality molds now, hardlineindustries.com

I say buy RCBS pro-melt pot.

Wish l had known to did it in the beginning.

Tin, lead, WW's.

I use hitech-supercoat.

Yea, it cost money one time.

Boolit Buddy
    I have no regrets about my Lee molds or melting pot . Your mileage may vary .

God bless
    Wyr