WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke my press

Broke my press

Hey all

I was on a roll. After having all the various issues I have documented here getting my reloading & casting going, I had finally hit a stride.

I was 94 rounds into this session. Only 4 needed to be pulled due to slightly loose projectiles. Roughly a 4% failure rate at this point, even with my reloading bench giving up the ghost. Keep in mind I was getting 20-25% failure rate previously. That poor table won't hold together much longer.

And then I had something even more fun happen. Nothing went bang - but something snapped.

The design of the press makes that handle tend to unscrew a lot. I re-tighten it by hand every time before I put an upstroke into it. But, it broke clean & crisp right in the middle of the threads. What's odd is the foam-like texture of the core of the handle. I haven't seen steel look like that before.

This press was given to me by my father to learn on. It's a CH press, and they apparently have a lifetime warranty on it, so I put in a support request with them.

If it's not under warranty, I might have just clarified what I want for Christmas.

Boolit Master
    At work, a 3 handled vise handle broke like that..if you can find someone with a lathe..its an easy fix..face off broken threads to new surface..drill & tap for original thread...use headless socket set-screw..lock-tite in handle portion. This will be stronger than original.

Boolit Master
    I have not heard the words C and H spoken in 30 years. they still in business?

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    I have not heard the words C and H spoken in 30 years. they still in business?
    C&H was bought out by 4D and then combined to make CH4D. They're not only still in business, but doing quite well by all accounts.

Boolit Grand Master

Dave Davidson is CH4D. Give him a call. If he still has parts ( a good bet) he will set you up. If you call in the evening be prepared for a chat. He can be a talkative guy!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Breaking at the threads is a common failure......that's where steel or plastic pipe usually lets go, at the thread root where the metal is thinner. It's the result of fatigue from repeated cycles or a sudden sideways stress that exceeds the metal's strength.

Repair should be easy. Get that broken piece out of the press first. If you don't have the tools, any auto mechanic that has removed a broken stud should be able to help. If CH4D doesn't have a replacement handle a new one can be made on a lathe in a matter of minutes. You might consider some Loktite on the threads of the new handle......it'll stop that annoying loosening.

Boolit Master

Even if CH will not repair if for you, a new handle is an easy fix.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I don't recognize the press linkage which CH is it?

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    r1kk1,

It's that laid back C-Frame some were Red, his happens to be a Gray. The name escapes me at the moment.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

I can't be positive without the piece in my hand, but I suspect that the handle is 5/8 inch, turned down to 1/2 and threaded 1/2 NF. This is a common press handle configuration and should be easy to replace or make.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    FWIW, if the handle was only tightened by hand, you may be able to remove the broken piece by using a sharp chisel and tapping lightly, just make sure you're going the correct direction. If std. threads, tap it so the stub turns to the left.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Perfect example why everyone should have a metal lathe and a milling machine OR....... a local friend that has a metal lathe and a milling machine!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I've got an old handle off a Rock Chucker. If it'll fit, you can have it for postage. No nut with it though.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen that Foam look in broken steel parts its caused by metal fatiuge and happens from stress. A new handle can be made easily. Drilling and tapping a bolt in may hold for awhile but the wall around the bolt will be thin and give quickly. Better to have a new one turned up as it will be solid. Several things to specify are a sharp under cut corner where the handle and stub come together. A radious here gives a false tight on the radious rather than on the shoulder. A solid fit on the threads. A good grade of steel ( 4140, 8620). Things to consider if possible is going to 3/4" rod stock as this will give a bigger shoulder to seat on. Locking on the shoulder of the handle takes alot of possible play out of the joint here making it much more solid.

Boolit Grand Master

Dave will take care of you. Darn nice folks over at CH4D, I have an old Eagle Cobra press that was missing two vital parts, couldn't find those parts anywhere. Called them , nice lady answered the phone and they had just what I needed, wasn't even a CH press, but they got the parts, mailed them to me for about $2.00 and didn't even act like I was bothering them with such a paltry order.
    They were so nice , I made another order later for a few things I needed just so they could make at least a few dollars off me. American company to boot.
    Call them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    r1kk1,

It's that laid back C-Frame some were Red, his happens to be a Gray. The name escapes me at the moment.

Now I remember.

thanks vaquero!

r1kk1

In Remembrance

I used an "Old Plumbers" trick to stop a handle from continually loosening up thru using it. I wrapped teflon tape on the threads and screwed the handle back in, hasn`t loosen up in about the 10 years since I did this fix.Robert

I checked my CH press this afternoon and it is a 5/8" rod threaded 1/2"-20, National Fine Thread.
    Chuck.

Low Tech fix for your press: get handle end out of link, get 1 to 1 1/2 inch grade 8 machine bolt with matching threads and a 12 inch or so pipe nipple that will fit over the head of the bolt. Have pipe welded to bolt, install and reload. My Herter's broke like yours back about 1960. Still using the fabricated replacement.

I spoke to a woman named Beth at CH4D today, as Dave was out of the office this week, I believe.

They have narrowed the press down to a 201, 202 or maybe 204. They have the handle as well as a grip in stock. The only real question is whether it's about $22 or next to nothing to get it. $10-12 each for parts + shipping.

Will wait to hear final info on Monday. Nice people for sure.

OF