Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Franken-Ruger

I used all 6 chambers as well at 500 yards.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcyP...742NZg&index=2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    So, where's the Franken here? IMO you are doing all the RIGHT things! First you turn Rugers to what "they should be" (action work, timing, lock-up) and then you make them as accurate as possible.

About hitting a pdog to 400 yards with a REVOLVER.. Do you have a dedicated chamber to do that? Or can you use any of the chambers with the same confidence?
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Thanks!
    Yes, I am still learning, and plan to continue in that journey with a variety of different weapon types.
    If you want to hit two birds with one stone, pop on over to NE Wyoming in June for WY-SHOT and you can shoot both of my FR's and several SP's while you are at it, not to mention whatever Chris brings and close to 30 other guys with all kinds of handguns.
    Short range to LR on steel and pd's...Fun, Fun, Fun!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb View Post
    I would gladly shot one or more of Chris's guns as long as he came with them and taught me the proper technique and would visit about smithing. Just like I would like to spend some time with Ernie learning his knowledge about SP's and his techniques for long range. These guys have tons to teach in their own area and Ernie is trying to improve in another area. Don't bash them because they have open minds and are open to improvement.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Banned

I never say bad about a person. I just want proof from a theory.
    BC and I would be best friends and I would listen but just show to bring me in. I did that kind of shooting with a S&W 27 back over 65 years ago, able to hit 1" targets at 100 yards. 8-3/8" ribbed barrel with a Phantom scope. Shot prone.
    i took hair off a running wood chuck at 550 yards with a flat top Ruger .44. off hand.
    When you show 1" groups at 700 yards, show it or let me tell you it is Bull at the highest order.

1" groups at 700 yards???? Seriously??????
    Some of your statements bring a smile and a laugh. Today I needed that.
    I have never shot a 1" group at 700 yards in my life with any kind of weapon.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Love Life
    I'll take guns for...ummm....testing. How long can I keep em'!?

Head this way, and I will let you shoot them. You just pay for the components replacement.
    Send For Testing......No
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I'll take guns for...ummm....testing. How long can I keep em'!?
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Love Life
    Drats!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieBishop View Post
    I used all 6 chambers as well at 500 yards.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcyP...742NZg&index=2
    Sweet shooting Your the Man with that one was it rounds you cast?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I never say bad about a person. I just want proof from a theory.
    BC and I would be best friends and I would listen but just show to bring me in. I did that kind of shooting with a S&W 27 back over 65 years ago, able to hit 1" targets at 100 yards. 8-3/8" ribbed barrel with a Phantom scope. Shot prone.
    i took hair off a running wood chuck at 550 yards with a flat top Ruger .44. off hand.
    When you show 1" groups at 700 yards, show it or let me tell you it is Bull at the highest order.
    Be a good idea to look at posts above from other members and the rifle vs revolver thread.....lots of members showing their "support" for your claims.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Sweet shooting Your the Man with that one was it rounds you cast?
    Those were the Sierra 170 match

Boolit Master

I guess some people never heard of Buntline Revolvers and bicycle guns...
    With that said , If the custom Franken Ruger is not for you , you dont need to come on the mans thread and poop on it.
    Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Thank you sir.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Well said.
    Rich

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BCgunworks View Post
    If it's against your ethics then don't do it.

But dead is dead.

Remember we are running longer barrels with tighter bc gaps. The velocity is much faster than your standard gun. I can't remember the velocity off hand but I'm thinking it was over 1500
    I think each hunters ethics reflect on the community and the continued health of the sport. With all the pressure on the Hunting community why not use a more appropriate gun/cartridge or limit the range to match the gun/cartridge's capability. Dead is dead, is addressing a single successful event not the probability of success which is the ethical question. How likely is a humane kill in the given situation.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I think each hunters ethics reflect on the community and the continued health of the sport. With all the pressure on the Hunting community why not use a more appropriate gun/cartridge or limit the range to match the gun/cartridge's capability. Dead is dead, is addressing a single successful event not the probability of success which is the ethical question. How likely is a humane kill in the given situation.

Tim
    If the bullet works at the given velocity and the shooter can work with the conditions. Then in my eyes it's a go.

Some don't like the long range rifle shots either.

As long as one practices the given distance. Knows what the projectile will do. And has confidence in the shot. Have at it.

And of course one needs the right equipment to do such things.

If someone isn't confident in what they are doing then they shouldn't do it.
    My limitations don't set someone else's limitations. And others limitations don't set mine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BCgunworks View Post
    Ran the numbers best I could remember. At 200 yards is going about 1100 fps with 9.4 Moa of drop.
    That is not far off from what I expected, maybe a 50 to 100 fps more than I would have guessed. Back when people just started seriously using handguns on deer, Jeff Cooper wrote and article about minimum cartridge for deer and he acknowledged that it is not a clear cut choice. Deer come in all different sizes and velocity can make up for lighter bullets and smaller calibers and he was talking semiautos and revolvers not bolt guns or single shots. He went down the list of common semiauto and revolver rounds of the day (not 40 S&W or 10 mm or 45 GAP, ect) His conclusion was that the round should be 40 caliber or greater, have a 200 grain bullet or greater and a velocity of 1000 fps or greater. He made two exceptions to these rules one for a hot 45 ACP handload, he said that if your load was close to 1000 fps with a 200 grain bullet that it might be alright. The second exception was a hot .357 mag from a long barrel revolver. He did not say what velocity the .357 needed to deliver but I am sure he was expecting more than 1100 fps at the target. He considered these exceptions to be marginal along with 38-40, 44-40, 44 special but 41 mag., 44 mag. and hot 45 Colt handloads good choices. Why use a marginal gun when good choice abound, especially when you have the money and equipment to make or buy whatever you want? Not trying to knock the Franken Ruger, it just does not seem to be the right tool for shooting deer at 200+ yards, maybe better saved for shooting coyotes.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Love Life
    A discussion what is, or is not ethical, along with a person's capabilities would be a great idea for another thread...

Boolit Master
    Handgun hunting is no different than rifle hunting. 95+% is shot placement. The only thing is when "marginal" guns are used the blame is placed on not using a powerful enough gun, vs. putting the blame where it belongs, on the muffed shot. There are plenty of deer wounded and lost shot by 454's, 500's and various large bore magnum rifles.

This thread has rekindled my interest in accurate revolvers and a Franken-Ruger 357 is on my list of I wanna guns. I get way more satisfaction shooting small groups with a revolver than a single shot pistol or rifle. Most revolvers aren't up to the task.

Boolit Buddy

It should go in another thread I reckon. But I'll close with this and repeat myself again

One persons limitations don't dictate the next persons.

All bullets have a velocity range they will perform in. This was well within that range for the bullet.

This same discussion comes up all the time. Not just related to this thread.
    The common trend now is bigger is better....for example when you go with an outfitter they generally want your rifle to say magnum somewhere.

The only way to truly know what works is to test it.

All the various formulas give you a reasonable guess but nothing can be confirmed until it is done.

Not the first animal I have taken with a 357. And there are many in history who have taken much larger critters with one.

When I hear this discussion I just smile and think about my grandfather killing deer, black bear, and elk with a 25/20.....

Boolit Buddy
    Would it be possible to make one of these with a shroud that goes to the end of an eight or 10" barrel?