Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trail Boss, my pet powder

Boolit Master
    I bought a bunch of it as I can see me using quite a bit. Works really well in 45 colt loads for a 1858 with conversion cylinder in it. I just use a 45 ACP case as a scoop. I messed with subsonic loads in a 223 with TB, seems to be the one to use for that. Then found I can use TB in my 577/450 vs BP, 22gr will use up a can faster tho.

Here in Australia TB comes in a 1.5kg (3.3pounds) keg only. I have used it in .243, .270, 30-30 and 35 whelen. I find it does no do as well at the higher loads closer to 100% load density. I have also taken it lower than the 70% min suggested by ADI/Hodgdon. My reasoning is it is safe to do this as TB is a fast pistol powder, slightly slower than red dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Then found I can use TB in my 577/450 vs BP, 22gr will use up a can faster tho.
    Below is some pressure traces from TB loads in the MH, albeit at a slightly higher loading:

Compared to Black Powder:

This is from a thread on britishmilitaria forums.
    Last edited by sthwestvictoria; 08-06-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master
    303 Guy, I know I have used tb in the 303 I simply can't find the info but I saw I have 9-13 gr for the 444 w310 Lee, 7-08 at 5 gr with any boolit, 35 rem at 5gr, 7.62x39 at 6 gr(that is on the high side for me) as I go slow with this powder and I would try 7 gr in the 303Brit, but you all are on your own!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Anyone with some 303 Brit loads? I have some and haven't gotten round to field testing it. I sounds like I need to do so. This 'plinking' load with a 325 gr boolit doing 1342 fps. That's plinking?

I'd like a supersonic load with no muzzle blast for a Brit. A light boolit (155gr) would be just fine. I do have an accurate light boolit load using Clays. But really, I want a heavier boolit load.
    I shoot heaps of practice loads with 12grn under anything I have,291,299,413 etc.My Mk111 shoots Lymans 324366 sized .316 over 14grns into 3/4'' groups at 50m regulary. Pat

Boolit Master

Found a 5# jug of Trail Boss today along with an 8# jug of Unique. It was a good day.

Boolit Master
    No lie!
    Buy a lotto ticket before the sun sets..

Boolit Buddy
    Hmmm, makes me want to try it with my 40-60 Winchester reproduction Winchester centennial. It's a pain in the butt to find powders for it. I guess just follow the instructions on the website to get my 100% load and then figure out the lower threshold. I think I have ten pounds of it laying around for my 44mag and 45 colt.

And using it in a 50BMG?! Well now.... I think I'll stay with my Hod. 50BMG for that.
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."